Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

'96 long rifle at 500 yards AND 800 Yards

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

'96 long rifle at 500 yards AND 800 Yards

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:38 am

6.5 Swede rifle at 500 yards.

I pulled my 6.5 Swede rifle from the vault for an upcoming match at 800 yards.
The rifle has always performed well with my hand loads and I wanted to see if I needed to make any adjustments to the sights.
I’m using a Privi 139 grain FMJ bullet over 47 grains of IMR-4831, once fired Swede brass.
The weather was perfect. 75 degrees F and dead calm. Not normal for us, but hey I’ll take it!
I fired a few rounds at 200 meters to see if my rounds would drift to the right and they did. I moved my front sight and found the zero point.
At 500 yards I fired 30 rounds and was able to hit the target 25 times for score. Grouping was about 3/4 MOA if I did my part with open sights which is not too bad for my old eyes.
The Swede long rifle has always been one of my favorite long range rifles to shoot.
Easy on your shoulder, accurate and has a decent trigger pull.
If you get a chance to shoot at long range with your Swede rifle, make sure to take lots of ammo. you will be very pleased with how well they shoot.
500A.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

steamer
United States of America

Re: '96 long rifle at 500 yards

#2 Post by steamer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Incredible shooting as always - 800 yards with iron sights and a 83%+ hit rate :handgestures-thumbup: - let us know how the match turns out.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:24 pm

I need to make a correction. I posted the title correctly but put 800 in my post. It was in fact 500 yards,not 800 yards. The match will be 800 yards. Getting old sucks.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

steamer
United States of America

#4 Post by steamer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:46 pm

Great shooting either way - I don't think I could even see the target beyond 200 yards. One of my recent acquisitions was a Swede - now I need to get to the range and try it out (at 100 yards) :D

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:40 pm

I really like the "Bold" backward sights on the Swede rifles. Even though the front sight is wide compared to the target at long range it really makes you center it on the target.
"Aim small.shoot small" logic.
I've been reloading for the 6.5x55 for many decades now and I have yest to find a powder bullet combo the rifles won't shoot. with such a small bore and long barrel,even the .50 powders work well. The IMR-7383 triple base .50 Spotting power works very well indeed.
Of course, the new shooters today have reinvented the wheel discovering how well the 6.5 caliber bullets shoot at any distance. 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmore,etc.
The 6.5x55 Swede can do it all and then some.
The cartridge is always listed as 6.5x55 MAUSER which it is not. The Mauser brothers had nothing to do with the cartridge nor the rifles.
The '96 Swede is their design and is made from materials much stronger than the original '93 rifles.
About 15 years ago My club was invited to compete against the US Army at Ft.Bliss.TX. There were also German Troops there as well. The wind was really blowing,which it does all winter long at my range so we had doped the wind many times over. The only real diff was the light angle and the much lower elevation. After sighter shots we fired 60 shots for score from 200-600 meters. We kicked their butts. The US Army just looked at us and walked away. Not really saying anything. The German soldiers thought that we had done an outstanding job and bought us beers in town.
I shot the highest score using the above rifle. The 6.5 being so long can really buck the wind even though the body area is longer than the other calibers. Why,I'm not sure but it does.
Nothing hits like a 6.5 bullet. The focused mass/ energy of the long bullet will penetrate deeper than any other normal rifle caliber I own. It was the calibers down fall when it came to stopping the bad guys. The bullet just passed through the body doing little damage. It is too stable.
The 6.5 bullet has killed more Elephants than any other caliber in the world. (6.5 M/S) Brain shots.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

sheepdawg
United States of America

#6 Post by sheepdawg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:11 am

Uh......47 grains of 4831 is above IMR's recommended maximum. :naughty: Always be careful with these old rifles, while Swedish steel might have been the best in the world I've always leaned towards the lower end of recommended loads with pretty good success out to 700 yards with my m/41B. My current pet load is 44.0 grains of IMR 7828ssc with a 140 gr. Noslar CC or Barnes Matchburner. If you look it's IMR's minimum recommended load.

Always do your homework on someone's pet load before loading a few up and checking it out. :doh:

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 am

50 grains is the max safe load and can be found on many sites. 47 grains is my best long range load and also gives very good case life. The posted "Lawyer" loads today are way down due to the "weak" '96 actions baloney on the web. I have used this load since the 70's and so do my clubs members in their rifles. It is safe and very accurate.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

sheepdawg
United States of America

#8 Post by sheepdawg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Rapidrob wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 am
50 grains is the max safe load and can be found on many sites. 47 grains is my best long range load and also gives very good case life. The posted "Lawyer" loads today are way down due to the "weak" '96 actions baloney on the web. I have used this load since the 70's and so do my clubs members in their rifles. It is safe and very accurate.
"Lawyer load" is an interesting term used by someone on the internet touting a load that exceeds the manufacturer's published recommended maximum. No offense but I'll take IMR's directions for the use of their products over yours.
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

slowbob2
United States of America

#9 Post by slowbob2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:26 pm

The M-94 and M-96 Swede MAUSER rifles were Mauser designed and built at Oberndorf Mauser Works . The Swedes later PAID license fees to Mauser to make the rifle themselves .

sheepdawg
United States of America

#10 Post by sheepdawg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:26 am

Although Mauser Oberndorf made a few earlier prototypes like the m/95 the first licensed production m/96s were built at the Carl Gustafs arsenal in 1898. Serial number 1 was a Carl Gustafs made rifle. Mauser Oberndorf supplemented Swedish production in 1899 and 1900 starting around serial number 20,000.

cwo4uscgret
United States of America

#11 Post by cwo4uscgret » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:28 pm

"Loading Data" can be quite subjective; Barnes, the bullet people, published data for a 6.5 Swedish Mauser, using a 110 grain bullet, loaded up to the maximum load pressure of 51,000 PSI:

Powder: IMR 4831 Minimum: 43.0 grains, Muzzle Velocity: 2668 fps. Maximum: 47.0 grains, Muzzle Velocity: 2905 fps.

I found the above reloading data by just a simple Google Search. No need for pumped up chest bumping guys - RapidRob, despite being a Tin Can Sailor (so says this Coast Guard Cutterman) has been shooting for a long time - I suspect that he has made it this long (reloading) by not exceeding loading data for ammunition!

So - let's play nice on the forums boys and girls!

sheepdawg
United States of America

#12 Post by sheepdawg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:05 pm

Rapidbob is welcome to use whatever load melts his butter, me, I'll stay under the powder manufacturers recommendations of 46.3 gr. maximum for a 139-142 grain bullet.

I don't know what a 110 grain bullet has to do with this thread, Rapidbob says he's using 139 grain PPU

slowbob2
United States of America

#13 Post by slowbob2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:06 pm

The statement was " the Mauser brothers had nothing to do with the rifles " . The fact is they did design them and build some . They did build the first Swedish Mausers , M-94 carbines .

sheepdawg
United States of America

#14 Post by sheepdawg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:08 am

M/94s true, according to Crown Jewels in 1894 Mauser Oberndorf built an addition to their factory in order to produce the Swedes. They had a huge Turkish contract to fill as well as others and were running at full capacity.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#15 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:07 pm

I held our Fall 800 yard match today. Weather was very nice and sunny and about 65 Deg F. Mirage was fish-tailing between 2-4 MPH.
My above load has always proven to do very well at 500 yards. 800 was no real challenge other than compensating for the mirage which plays tricks on you eyes.
We fired 20 rounds with 5 spotters to find your rifles zero.
My load at 7,000 feet at our range had a bullet flight time just over one second to the 800 yard target. The bullet struck very hard and disintegrated. A found missed bullet was badly damaged from impact with the dirt.
I had two classes of rifles in this match. Open Sights and Scoped Rifles. I was shooting the Open Sight class. I won the Match for open sights.
The rifle functioned as one would expect. Light recoil and easy to open bolt after firing. The case sealed the breech well with little blow-by one the neck.
Primers were not flattened and the primer corners are still rounded. The cases have been loaded twice before, so this is the third firing. Military brass,PMC Berdan primers. Privi bullets with a LEE crimp.
Swede '96 long rifle.
8002.jpg
8003.jpg
8009.jpg
800 yard Target
8001.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “Swedish Rifles”