Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

My Swedish m/96, dated 1904

Jonas_Salk
United States of America

My Swedish m/96, dated 1904

#1 Post by Jonas_Salk » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:18 pm

Overall it's in excellent condition, however the previous owner seems to have put some kind of lacquer (or something else...) on the wood, so it's not entirely in original condition.

Ernest T
United States of America

Re: My Swedish m/96, dated 1904

#2 Post by Ernest T » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Should be a good shooter. Probably not worth stripping the finish off the stock, since it also looks like it was heavily sanded. If you wanted to return it to more original condition you could replace the stock, but I'd probably just leave it alone, especially if the stock has matching numbers.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:54 pm

There always has to be some city boy to mess up a stock. Those rifles make fantastic shooters. I would buy a replacement stock.

Test a little spot and see what works easy as a rub(tee shirt and hand rubbing ) to maybe remove that nasty finish. Try denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, acetone. Old boy methods: Formbys or Watco furniture refinisher, or USGI insect (Nam) repellent 100% deet ...melts plastics, & do not forget break cleaner or carb cleaner. Next, safe Orange citristrip gel or cream paint remover, or lastly more serious stuff like marine grade paint remover. Maybe Blue Bear urethane striper. Just take off a wee bit and give it a rub down leaving most of the color. Then some Toms 1/3.

Did you see this post http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... =88&t=3268
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

sheepdawg
United States of America

#4 Post by sheepdawg » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:12 pm

One of the finishes compatible with an oil finish is shellac, think RC K98k. It can be peeled back with a thumbnail if it's old. If you can peel some off then you could use denatured alcohol to remove it.
Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Return to “Swedish Rifles”