Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Faux Swedish M41B CMP vintage sniper match rifle...updated with range report

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Faux Swedish M41B CMP vintage sniper match rifle...updated with range report

#1 Post by Calfed » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:47 pm

Several years back I got a great deal on a Swedish M96. It is not a total mixmaster...bolt and bolt components, receiver, and buttplate match. Floorplate, barrel bands and bolt release do not. Bore is great.

My cheap camera can't quite capture the bore's shine.

Image Image

I never really shot it much, but here is 5 rounds of the PPU 120gr "target ammo" @ 100 yards shot with iron sights right after I got it.

A few months ago I decided to convert one of my M96's into a Swedish sniper rifle for use in the CMP vintage sniper rifle matches. This one got the nod. I bought an Accumount repro scope mount and sent it to a trusted gunsmith. He is fairly busy and it took some months for him to complete the job. In the mean time I got a smoking deal on a real Swedish M41B sniper rifle, but that is a different story.

After he completed the job, he sent me several pictures of the rifle and I must admit, it came out looking good.

I'll post more pics and a range report when I can.

Polock
United States of America

Re: Faux Swedish M41B sniper rifle

#2 Post by Polock » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Looks good! I often wonder why more CMP sniper competitors do not use Swede 96s. Seems to me that the combo of the accurate M96/6.5 cartridge and ability to use the older Weaver K4 are an affordable alternative to 03s and 03A4s.
Good luck at the match, and congrats on scoring a real M41B---
Last edited by Polock on Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Calfed » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Polock wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:51 pm
Looks good! I often wonder why more CMP sniper competitors do not use Swede 96s. Seems to me that the combo of the accurate M96/6.5 cartridge and ability to use the older Weaver K4 are an affordable alternative to 03s and 0A4s.
Good luck at the match, and congrats on scoring a real M41B---
Thanks, Polock.

I struggled with whether or not to modify an otherwise as issued rifle. It came down to the substantial cost of the mount and gunsmithing to install it. I got the rifle for a little under $200 and that was substantially less than the cost of modifying it. I could not justify those expenses on anything less than an excellent rifle.

Looking forward to shooting this and posting a range report.

burkefj
United States of America

#4 Post by burkefj » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:52 pm

What was your total cost including rifle, mount, scope and work to get it ready?

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Faux Swedish M41B CMP vintage sniper match rifle

#5 Post by Calfed » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:38 am

PM sent

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Calfed » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 am

Here are a couple of pictures of the Swede...

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Calfed » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 am

I got a chance to shoot the CMP vintage sniper match "faux" Swedish sniper and it shoots like a house on fire!

I shot a three shot group at 25 yards to make sure it was on paper. I used Prvi Partizan 120 gr "match" ammo. (only had 6 rounds)

Since the rifle was on paper, I switched to a target at 100 yards. I fired the remainder of my 120 gr PPU match rounds and got the blue circled group.

I then adjusted the scope and here is where things went a little janky. My son fired three rounds of PPU 139 gr SP and got the red circle group (!). My son is a great shot, as you will see later, and I'm sure that the scatter group was a result of adjusting the scope. I then fired three rounds of the PPU 139 gr's and got the yellow circle group. It appears that it took a couple of rounds to settle the scope down after adjustment (?).

My son then used some 108 gr Lapua ammo that I have and got this group @ 100 yards...about 1/2 MOA

I then shot this 5 round group with some handloads that I had loaded for my Ljungman (again, at 100 yards).

Except for the burble after adjusting the scope, the Swede is shooting outstandingly.

DaleH
United States of America

Re: Faux Swedish M41B CMP vintage sniper match rifle...updated with range report

#8 Post by DaleH » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 pm

Very nice! FWIW my bro has a collection of 1 of every Swede 6.5mm bolt rifle and a few M38S had that fancy rear sight. Using h4350 powdah over 120-129-grn SMKs or equivalent shot MOA using the aperture sights.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Faux Swedish M41B CMP vintage sniper match rifle...updated with range report

#9 Post by Calfed » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:38 pm

DaleH wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:50 pm
Very nice! FWIW my bro has a collection of 1 of every Swede 6.5mm bolt rifle and a few M38S had that fancy rear sight. Using h4350 powdah over 120-129-grn SMKs or equivalent shot MOA using the aperture sights.
I believe it, Dale.

I think this rifle likes the lighter bullets. I may experiment around with it a bit using different bullet weights and powders.

Return to “Swedish Rifles”