http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help identifying Carcano
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hi, I recently got a Carcano and need some help identifying it. I've been directed here and any info would be much appreciated.

It's been sporterized, but I believe it was a 91/38 judging by the fixed sights. There are no calibre markings, and no obvious date stamp. I was told it was a 6.5mm rifle.

Here's an album full of pictures with closeups of the markings and some general pictures of the rifle itself: http://imgur.com/a/J7wi9

I really appreciate any help you guys can give.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:44 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

My guess is it's a cut down 1891 built in 1918. Barrel is to long for a short rifle or carbine. Too bad bubba has his way with it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

You have the badly-abused remains of an M91 long rifle. Since some of the tight part of the gain twist rifling has been amputated, accuracy might not be what you would hope for. Ren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

b32dominator wrote:
My guess is it's a cut down 1891 built in 1918. Barrel is to long for a short rifle or carbine. Too bad bubba has his way with it.

You may be right. I measured the barrel and it's about 21.5".

I only thought it was a 91/38 because of the fixed sights and bent bolt handle. I didn't think bubba would have gone through the trouble of replacing the rear sight with a later fixed one, moving back the front sight, and replacing the bolt. Usually these people remove the sights altogether; it's uncommon for someone to do so much work to keep them. I do notice now that the bolt is a different serial and the front sight looks like it's been spot welded in place.

Looks like he wanted something closer to a carbine so he dressed a chopped 1891 up with 91/38 accouterments.

RenHoek wrote:
You have the badly-abused remains of an M91 long rifle. Since some of the tight part of the gain twist rifling has been amputated, accuracy might not be what you would hope for. Ren

Ah, you answered my next question before I even got to post it. Thank you. So this thing is going to print like a shotgun and keyhole even if I give it correct diameter ammo, right?

Would you two fine gentlemen say it's even worth keeping? My brother traded for a really nice K31 the other day and got this from the same guy for $50. He in turn gave it to me. It's too butchered to be a wall hanger so if I can't shoot it I'll probably get rid of it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

It wouldn't hurt to run a couple clips through it. Might be okay for use as a loaner or under the seat truck gun. Ren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

RenHoek wrote:
It wouldn't hurt to run a couple clips through it. Might be okay for use as a loaner or under the seat truck gun. Ren

Ammo isn't cheap and I don't have any clips yet. If it's going to pattern like a shotgun and/or keyhole all over the place I don't want to invest the money into what amounts to a noisemaker.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

there's likely $50 of parts there, so worst case you shouldn't lose money

Stuff, some of it's Italian, some of it shoots.