http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

This is my first Finnish rifle... I don't think it will be my last one. I was just walking by this vendor's section of the flea market, and my scrying eye picks out the old M91 rear sight... hit a wall... instant stop and turn into the booth to see what's going on here. It's an M91 alright, looks solid, it looks like it's been Finned... okay, that's kinda cool... I haven't really been into Finnish rifles at all. So I flipped it over to see the crest...

REMINGTON ARMORY?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: 1917?!?! :shock: :shock: :shock:

At that point I didn't care if it was Finned or not, I wanted it. I've seen more Westinghouse Mosins than Remington ones. So I turn to the lady and ask... so how much for the old Mosin? She says, "I'll make you a deal.." At this point I was thinking... oh wonderful, she's gonna offer what 500 bucks??

"...how about $150 for the rifle?"... :twisted:

An interesting point on this rifle... notice the splicing in the stock. It looks like it was done twice, like they messed up once and did it again. Also, the firing pin has a French C proof mark... or looks like it... Chattellerault firing pin?? Also, if anyone can help with the stock marking and the markings on the buttplate... that'd be swell!

Kinda likin' this one. A lot.

Attachments:
DSCN1447.JPG
DSCN1447.JPG [ 3.35 MiB | Viewed 655 times ]
DSCN1442.JPG
DSCN1442.JPG [ 3.37 MiB | Viewed 655 times ]
DSCN1439.JPG
DSCN1439.JPG [ 3.39 MiB | Viewed 655 times ]
DSCN1438.JPG
DSCN1438.JPG [ 3.46 MiB | Viewed 655 times ]
DSCN1437.JPG
DSCN1437.JPG [ 3.36 MiB | Viewed 655 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

More pics

Attachments:
DSCN1460.JPG
DSCN1460.JPG [ 3.37 MiB | Viewed 652 times ]
DSCN1464.JPG
DSCN1464.JPG [ 3.38 MiB | Viewed 652 times ]
DSCN1458.JPG
DSCN1458.JPG [ 3.45 MiB | Viewed 652 times ]
DSCN1453.JPG
DSCN1453.JPG [ 3.38 MiB | Viewed 652 times ]
DSCN1455.JPG
DSCN1455.JPG [ 3.39 MiB | Viewed 652 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

The rifle was completely cleaned of cosmo and the mold in the stock. No corrosion except slight surface pitting on the barrel underside. Nothing at all serious.

Attachments:
DSCN1489.JPG
DSCN1489.JPG [ 3.45 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]
DSCN1488.JPG
DSCN1488.JPG [ 3.44 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]
DSCN1487.JPG
DSCN1487.JPG [ 3.46 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]
DSCN1485.JPG
DSCN1485.JPG [ 3.43 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]
DSCN1480.JPG
DSCN1480.JPG [ 3.34 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:09 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Cleaned up very nicely after 4 hours labor.

Attachments:
DSCN1498.JPG
DSCN1498.JPG [ 3.4 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]
DSCN1497.JPG
DSCN1497.JPG [ 3.36 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]
DSCN1495.JPG
DSCN1495.JPG [ 3.4 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]
DSCN1493.JPG
DSCN1493.JPG [ 3.43 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]
DSCN1491.JPG
DSCN1491.JPG [ 3.44 MiB | Viewed 651 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Sweet M91 :thumb: :thumb:

Nice rifle. How did you clean the stock???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:21 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I dampened a cloth with warm water and cleaned it. I have had numerous people tell me to not oil the stock with anything, so I have not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

You've actually got a rare one. We sold a bunch of M91s to Finland from our inventory, but the huge majority they had were originally made in Russia. The "Finned" M91s were tuned into almost match grade rifles and make excellent shooters. They were also used right up into the 1960's by Finish troops.

Yours looks really nice.

You need to ignore the "dry is good" types; it's resulted in badly worn and rusted firearms.
RawlLinseed oil will help preserve the wood, and was probably what was used originally by Remington.
All metal parts should have a coating (grease is best) before reassembly.
If you didn't, you should disassemble it and put a film of RIG (or the equivalent) on everything (Barrel and action exterior, barrel bands inside and out, cleaning rod, screws and small parts etc..) before too much longer. Ohio can get humid this time of year.
Oil the smaller working parts like the magazine follower, trigger, firing pin and spring. I put a dab of grease on the sear.
Motor oil does a good job, I've use Mobil 1 synthetic anywhere oil is used.
When I had nothing else, I've used automotive chassis grease. It stinks a little but makes a good preservative and really slicks up the bolt.

Btw A greased bolt works fine down to at least zero degrees F. I slathered chassis grease on a M91 bolt once when it was minus 15F, making sure the rifle was full cold soaked before taking it out. The rifle still fired. The grease was just starting to get a little stiff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Great rifle at a great price, Enjoy..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:27 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

With common Mosins going for $200, You got a heck of a deal!

(you might try pine tar on the stock, the Finns used it)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hi Smokey thanks for the reply... I oiled up all the metal bits before reassembly. I was told that the stock would not react to and discolor due to the Finnish... finish... on the gun... just goin with what I been told. I was also told that if I was gonna use oil, then to use flaxseed oil... I'm not sure... please educate me!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:51 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

:o OK you used up your years worth of luck... I got to find flee markets like that one. You got the luck of the Irish =D> =D>
FIND OF THE YEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:57 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

^^^ Yep, what he said. :mrgreen: :thumb: Congrats on a great find and even greater price.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:09 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

:hand: Do not as... up the stock finish. Leave it as found, :thumb: :thumb: but you can oil the inside. My method. First to just lightly clean use a high quality Howards orange oil( NOT LEMON OIL ) on the inside only or Kotton Klenser brand "Protective Wood feeder" cream. This can be also used lightly on the outside if you must. You are feeding natural oils back into an original stock, not really scrubbing the stock, and some of the grim may come off. THE CREAM IS BEST to add oil without alter of the finish. Every dent and mar tells a story. You may actually have wear spots on the wood from handling... its called patina.
Second, A drastic cleaner is Kotton Klenser "cleaner " that actually removes the surface grime with some of the finish. Best if some nut got paint on a stock. This is a last resort and care must be given to not remove too much of the original finish. Most use this product on old clocks or antique furniture. I like the original stock where the handling marks are visible and you can see where the hand held the rifle on the butt or forestock from the wear patterns from years of handling grim and sweat. You can tell a cleaning redo because small dents are filled with color, or the scratches filled and a stock has a uniform finish. Best is to get some protective wood feeder cream and coat the inside to put some natural oils back into the stock. I would leave the outside wood as is. If raw wood dents are exposed the oil changes its natural dry wood color of the wood so it looks like someone oiled the stock, over time the oil soaks into the wood depending on the exteriors finish. On some finishes oil just sits and does nothing. It depends on the exterior finish. Just oil /refresh the inside portions of the stock. Motor oil works great on the metal. GAA grease on the bolt. That is a $600-700 rifle. The trick is to start out lightly applying the cream . Do not drench the wood. Easy goes and see how it takes the oil. On some rifles the inside wood is not bare , its coated with varnish, shellac or blo and oil does not soak in.

see https://www.amazon.com/Kotton-Klenser-P ... B00LDCQTEK

http://kottonklenser.com/

oil for inside stock wood consider http://www.westernwooddoctor.com/orangeoil.htm

see these ancient post s;
viewtopic.php?f=175&t=127995&hilit=+how+to+clean+a+stock

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=112925&hilit=+how+to+clean+a+stock

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:04 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

It's a beaut. You lucky dog.