http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:02 pm 

Welcome to SurplusRifleForum.com.

So you want to make a post and include pictures with it, well, there's two ways to go about it. The first way is the easy way that most of us use, so we can include pictures inline with the thread we're working in. In this manner you can have people view your full sized pictures without needing to click on anything. You can also preview it and place the pictures where you feel more comfortable with them being.

1) This method is for members whose photos are hosted through their OWN website, server, or paid hosting service. This method is quite simple and involves copying the URL of your hosted image (ie. http://www.your_host.com/your_image.jpg ) and then clicking on the "Img" button above (just under the Subject field of your posting)

Code:
When the [img] [/img] tags appear, simply paste your image URL between these tags and your image will appear inline with the post you are making.

Example: [img]http://www.your_host.com/your_image.jpg[/img]

If you don't have your own website, server, or image hosting service then have no fear! The next method of including images in your postings are described below. Scroll down for more!

Leave me HeatWare - http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=36954

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:07 pm 

2) "Upload Attachment" - This service is free and uploaded images are automatically placed into your posting with an thumbnail of your photo that links to the full size image. This option is great for postings where you would like to include multiple images in one posting, because it will load much more quickly since only thumbnails are displayed. This option is available at the bottom of your edit window.

Attachment:
test.jpg
test.jpg [ 41.99 KiB | Viewed 9951 times ]

Click on Browse.
Find the picture you want to post, select it and click Open.
Click "Add the file" button to upload it to the forums.
You can then click on the "Place Inline" button, after selecting the attachment from the dropdown menu beside it, and place the picture anywhere you want in the thread.

Attachment:
pic.JPG
pic.JPG [ 41.32 KiB | Viewed 9940 times ]

If you scroll down further, you can delete the files attached to your post.

Attachment:
pic2.JPG
pic2.JPG [ 51.57 KiB | Viewed 9938 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Erick:
I, have followed your # 2 upload attachment instructions, under edit window!! But I, found I, could onlt post TWO photos,
on the board---As a red line comes up, saying,the file is to big maximum allowable size is 4MiB What does this mean, can I,
send, say just 4 photos, per posting?
Roy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:31 pm 

Roy Mcleod wrote:
Erick:
I, have followed your # 2 upload attachment instructions, under edit window!! But I, found I, could onlt post TWO photos,
on the board---As a red line comes up, saying,the file is to big maximum allowable size is 4MiB What does this mean, can I,
Roy

I would say that the pictures you're trying to upload are huge. Either very high quality JPGs, or BMPs. One thing you could try is just resizing them. Making them smaller. I'm sure noone needs to see a gigantic picture, unless they WANT to zoom in that far.

One thing that makes it easier to resize pictures when uploading them anywhere is ShrinkPic.

If that doesn't float your boat, MSPaint will do the same thing. Just open up your picture and save it as a JPG file there, it will automatically downgrade the quality (but then you lose some detail, choose carefully).

Resizing pictures doesn't have to be a chore.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Having problems.. If I log onto the host.com site, I get the message "not available".
I have used "Photo Bucket" several times before,,,not easy but I got it done, lots of down loading, back and forth between PB and the post site etc. Now they have so many goofy ads pop up while I'm trying to go through their mumbo jumbo posting that I gave them up..
Anyone have a simple method for a simple minded guy like me ??
Thanks..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:35 pm 

pronghorn wrote:
Having problems.. If I log onto the host.com site, I get the message "not available".
I have used "Photo Bucket" several times before,,,not easy but I got it done, lots of down loading, back and forth between PB and the post site etc. Now they have so many goofy ads pop up while I'm trying to go through their mumbo jumbo posting that I gave them up..
Anyone have a simple method for a simple minded guy like me ??
Thanks..

Host.com is not a website, that is a reference to whatever website you already have.

Mindless and simple is using the Upload Attachment button in the directions, it's labeled as #2.

Quote:
2) "Upload Attachment" - This service is free and uploaded images are automatically placed into your posting with an thumbnail of your photo that links to the full size image. This option is great for postings where you would like to include multiple images in one posting, because it will load much more quickly since only thumbnails are displayed. This option is available at the bottom of your edit window.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:32 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:37 pm 

pronghorn wrote:
Thanks, I'll give that a try next time...

Funny you posted this now. Take a look at my second post. I put up some much easier to read instructions, and included a few screenshots.

Let me know if there's anything else that's confusing and I'll clean it up some more 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:21 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

53Fr8 here..Is there a Gun gallery of photos and whats the right section for a intro....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:20 am 

Firearm pictures is in a subforum towards the bottom.

viewforum.php?f=13

EDIT: The meet and greet post is linked below.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:17 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

53Fr8 wrote:
53Fr8 here..Is there a Gun gallery of photos and whats the right section for a intro....

Welcome to the forums, 53Fr8. :thumb: Here is a link to the new member meet and greet:
viewtopic.php?t=32505

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

ElricFate:
I, am having problems posting my photos on the forum!! I, have the photos on my photo
gallery and when I, use the host attachment methoid, I get the message, my image is invalid!!
I, never had this problem before, what im I, doing wrong.
Thanks
Roy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:17 pm 

Roy Mcleod wrote:
ElricFate:
I, am having problems posting my photos on the forum!! I, have the photos on my photo
gallery and when I, use the host attachment methoid, I get the message, my image is invalid!!
I, never had this problem before, what im I, doing wrong.
Thanks
Roy

Roy, what format are your images in?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

ElickFate:
Sent two e-mails, to two members, with photo attachments. Photos went through OK!!
MY computer message first said photos to BIG!!
I then down sized, 25% and photos went through OK on the forum also!!
I have to point out at this time, by downsizing, 25% , I, conld only send a total of THREE
photos both by e-mail and the forum. What would you recommend, I, do at this piont to send
more than THREE photos.
Thanks
Roy
P.S. Photos I, sent to members, were sent to their, home, e-mail addresses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:19 pm 

ElricFate wrote:
Roy Mcleod wrote:
Erick:
Roy

I would say that the pictures you're trying to upload are huge. Either very high quality JPGs, or BMPs. One thing you could try is just resizing them. Making them smaller. I'm sure noone needs to see a gigantic picture, unless they WANT to zoom in that far.

One thing that makes it easier to resize pictures when uploading them anywhere is ShrinkPic.

If that doesn't float your boat, MSPaint will do the same thing. Just open up your picture and save it as a JPG file there, it will automatically downgrade the quality (but then you lose some detail, choose carefully).

Resizing pictures doesn't have to be a chore.

Roy,

I think we've gone down this road before :wink:

Seriously though, ShrinkPic is great to automatically resize your photos when you post them to websites, without actually resizing your original pictures, leaving you with the full sized files on your PC. I would suggest installing from the link above, setting your size, and trying to upload them again and see what turns up. Usually pictures that are more than 1024x768 are just considered too big on forums, so about the medium setting should do you fine.