http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:52 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I have notice lately you can only upload pictures 640x480 or below. Is there anyway we can get it back to the way it was before? Makes thing too tiny especially for those of us with high res monitors. I do know we have had problems with the off site upload picture being to big.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:54 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I would certainly second that request. Pretty Please!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:43 am 

Test image:

This image is from Photobucket. The "magnifier" button is active as well to original size. The site is free and you can edit your images as needed. There is no reason we need a couple of Meg image clogging up SRF's server.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:32 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

If you have MS paint it's an easy fix.

For example:
Say you have an image 900x720
Since the image needs to be 640x480 the reduction number (in percent) that is not allowing you to attach is the "720".

To be clear:
640/900 = 71%
480/720 = 66% (go with this one)

Open the image in MS Paint, and press Cntrl + W
Since the value 720 is 66% larger than the max, enter a size reduction of 66% for both length and width and you will have a working photo size.
The new image size will be 594x475

That's how I do it.
It's an extra step, but I don't mind it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:21 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I know the two posts above are meant to help SRF users and address some of the challenges with image posting that we've seen since the server change a while back. That is appreciated.

However - It would be nice to hear from one of the Admins on whether or not they view this issue as a "problem" and if someone actually is investigating it? Seems like it should be a relatively simple setting with the phpBB software to set it however the Admins see fit. As far as image size I agree with AirForce1, 640x480 just seems to low to for the detail that is sometimes needed. Yes, some reasonable upper limit should exist, but somewhere around 1280x768 might may more sense.

Also, at one point in the past few years, I recall that the SRF leadership (and users) were very tired of the images in older posts (and sometimes not that old) getting lost because people were using third-party image services vs. posting directly to forum. There are many issues with the sustainability of using a third-party service and many posts become almost useless without their associated images. The cost of disk space continues to dwindle so I view storing (i.e. saving) our own SRF images as a good investment in protecting the intellectual knowledge and integrity of this forum.

I can live with whatever is decided but it would be nice to have a "final word" on this issue. Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:23 pm 

Steamer wrote:
I know the two posts above are meant to help SRF users and address some of the challenges with image posting that we've seen since the server change a while back. That is appreciated.

However - It would be nice to hear from one of the Admins on whether or not they view this issue as a "problem" and if someone actually is investigating it? Seems like it should be a relatively simple setting with the phpBB software to set it however the Admins see fit. As far as image size I agree with AirForce1, 640x480 just seems to low to for the detail that is sometimes needed. Yes, some reasonable upper limit should exist, but somewhere around 1280x768 might may more sense.

Also, at one point in the past few years, I recall that the SRF leadership (and users) were very tired of the images in older posts (and sometimes not that old) getting lost because people were using third-party image services vs. posting directly to forum. There are many issues with the sustainability of using a third-party service and many posts become almost useless without their associated images. The cost of disk space continues to dwindle so I view storing (i.e. saving) our own SRF images as a good investment in protecting the intellectual knowledge and integrity of this forum.

I can live with whatever is decided but it would be nice to have a "final word" on this issue. Thanks.

You're right. Which is why I already let Jonesboy know that the auto resizing plugin is broken.

So until that's fixed, please resize your images manually if you want to host them on this server, otherwise you will need to use a third party imaging service.

There are no other answers at this time.

Leave me HeatWare - http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=36954

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Now set for unlimited size but capped at 4 mb in size.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Thank you for the clarification and follow-up. All of the admins and mods do an awesome job to keep this forum going - it's very much appreciated. :clap:
Jonesboy wrote:
Now set for unlimited size but capped at 4 mb in size.
Sounds like a good approach for now. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Test Photo my Egyptian Helwan.

Attachments:
Egyptian-2.JPG
Egyptian-2.JPG [ 1.43 MiB | Viewed 3939 times ]

Post subject: Use GIMP
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:47 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

GIMP is an excellent safe and free open source program for handling pictures. It's not trial software and not for profit. It will work for Windows, Linux, and MAC. Here's the link.

http://www.gimp.org/

Heck, I ditched M$ years ago and just use the latest version of Linux Mint 64-bit which works perfectly with this site. Mint has a wide range of choices for both image and video editors and is an entire operating systems in and of itself, for those who aren't familiar with it. It's more user friendly than Ubuntu is, in my opinion. Here's the link for that.

http://www.linuxmint.com/