1916 Mauser external pitting safe?

nwjones18

1916 Mauser external pitting safe?

Post by nwjones18 »

A couple years ago I bought a 'gunsmith special' 1916 spanish mauser in 7x57 from JG sales to play with. The gun I got was ROUGH, but complete. Its sat in the box since then because I just didn't feel like cleaning it up and one of the screws attaching the floorplate to the receiver was mangled to the point of me having to drill it to get the gun apart. I finally did it today and as I suspected its got some very deep pitting under the wood. Some on the receiver some on the barrel but the chamber area is pretty clean, and the inside of the chamber/bore is in shockingly good condition. Would you all shoot this thing? The pitt look awful, but I don't think any of them go beyond 10-15% of the way through the metal. I've got plenty of old mausers in good condition to shoot, but was curious what the group opinion would be on this one.. I should have wiped off the WD-40 thats soaking on it before pics..
IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG (59.15 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
Attachments
IMG_2541.JPG
IMG_2541.JPG (76.09 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
IMG_2540.JPG
IMG_2540.JPG (63.34 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
IMG_2539.JPG
IMG_2539.JPG (66.71 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
IMG_2538.JPG
IMG_2538.JPG (55.47 KiB) Viewed 2011 times

nwjones18

Re: 1916 Mauser external pitting safe?

Post by nwjones18 »

Here's another picture.. The worst pitting is 2/3 the way down the barrel toward the muzzle, but the pitting on the receiver is concerning to me as well.
Attachments
IMG_2543.JPG
IMG_2543.JPG (62.96 KiB) Viewed 2010 times

capt14k

Post by capt14k »

Less than 50% through the metal I would have no problem shooting it. From those pics it looks less than 20% through.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Check the depth of the deepest pits. If the pitting is deep and exceeds the Receiver or Barrel thickness by 50% it is not good. If Less you should be Ok with shooting the rifle. Pressure is greater near the receiver. Check the chamber for internal pitting as well as the inside of the barrel. Pitting on the outside of the barrel due to wet wood normally is not too big of a concern unless it is deep say 40-50 %. Internal pitting will have more of an effect on shooting. Drastic erosion pits on the outside of the chamber or near the rear of the barrel will make it unsafe. Those are some wide areas of rust.
If extremely heavy pitting is at the chamber of the rifle, I would recommend you take it to a gunsmith for a check-up and get their opinion, or use the rifle as a wall hanger or parts rifle.
For me , I am a safety guy, this pictures pitting looks nasty. The damage caused by pitting covers a big area. Does it go all around the bottom of the circumference of the lower portion of the barrel - the area covered with the wood? The stock must really be rotten? Or is that the deepest pits just in that lone section?
IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG (57.52 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
Is it this rifle? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhgwMU73rmk

It is no great loss, it is not an expensive mauser. That is some Spanish garbage, I would trust a German steel made Turk with pits, over any Spanish steel. It is a low cost rifle, what is you safety worth- $200. Can you afford a chunk of wood or metal in you arm, face, or eye. Is that worth more than $200. If it was me and I liked Spanish weapons, I would buy a more intact specimen lacking pits and use that pitted rifle as a parts source. Does the rifle actually headspace, the bore condition is ok, the chamber is ok? - mirror bright.
Some on the receiver some on the barrel but the chamber area is pretty clean, and the inside of the chamber/bore is in shockingly good condition. Would you all shoot this thing?
Does it still have its crest, or was it ground off? Is it still 7mm or one of the nasty Nato 7.62 conversions. If converted, (Not 7mm) I would say make it a wall hanger. ( Opps I see it is original 7mm) What would a nice shootable 7mm example cost? Peterson lists a 1916 short rife in Very Good condition valued at retail $275-300. To me, my face is worth more than $300. If you like Spanish firearms, I own none, then I would get a second one with nice metal( No pits), and a nice bore, maybe bad wood and combine the two. And use that new rifle as a shooter. Just a thought. :think: :think:
How many 7mm rifles do you have, ammo is not cheep.

Put me down as "use as a wall hanger". :shhh: :character-oldtimer:
Granted, I despise Spanish made firearms, so I do have a bias.
Maybe consider a 1908 Brazilian mauser or 1895 Chilean mauser both 7mm? German made and quality. Both are fine shooters even with average bores.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

nwjones18

Post by nwjones18 »

I'm thinking its going to be a wall hanger, or I may pass it on for cheap to someone who's more interested in it than I am.. I did the bullet test on the muzzle and the thing went in all the way to the case... This is one that's just not worth messing with.. And I have a nice 1908 Brazilian mauser to shoot 7x57 in anyhow.. I will say its the only mail order surplus gun we've ever been disappointed in so can't really complain. Honestly the only decent parts on it someone might want to use are the bolt, trigger group and the ejector.. Its a hunk of junk for the most part.

kraggman

Post by kraggman »

I got the same rifle from J&G a couple of years ago. When I stripped it down I decided the pitting was a safety issue. Returned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Spanish/S. American/Central American/Mexican Rifles”