Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Argentine Model 1891 Infantry Rifle & Cavalry Carbine At The Range

stomper
United States of America

Argentine Model 1891 Infantry Rifle & Cavalry Carbine At The Range

#1 Post by stomper » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:29 am

Spent a cool cloudy morning at the range with my Model 1891 P-block rifle and B-block carbine. Though both date from 1899 the infantry rifle is built on a leftover Loewe-marked receiver; the carbine's is marked DWM. Neither are import-marked. The rifle is all-matching, scrubbed crest, and has a bayonet from the same P-block. The still-crested carbine only retains a few matching parts; the stock and handguard are both rather crude replacements which may have been done here in the USA, and the bolt serial number has been scrubbed and not re-numbered. The bolt is also from an earlier carbine or at least the bolt shroud is; it is the early slick-side without horizontal projections. The carbine has a replacement barrel as well.

Ammunition was PPU 174gr FMJ and 1947-vintage Argentine surplus FMJ from Fábrica Militar de Munición de Armas Portátiles – Borghi. The PPU seems to be a good match for the Argentine Army's spitzer load because their points-of-impact are indistinguishable. Results with the infantry rifle were disappointing; it was not consistent with either new or surplus ammunition. The bore is still in fair condition but the muzzle will swallow an original cartridge to the case lip and I think this is probably the cause. A shame because the sights on it are easier to see, the recoil and muzzle report are mild, and in general I just prefer long rifles. The carbine was quite consistent with both new and surplus ammo and the very small sight aperture.
Argie_M1891_rifle+carbine_Range_08-02-2018_D.jpg
Argie_M1891_rifle+carbine_Range_08-02-2018_C.jpg
Argie_M1891_rifle+carbine_Range_08-02-2018_10rds_PPU_10rds_FMMAP-B_each_50yds.jpg
At 50 yards. First 10 rounds of PPU from rifle and carbine, then 10 rounds of surplus ball.
Argie_M1891_rifle+carbine_Range_08-02-2018_10rds_PPU_each_100yds.jpg
At 100 yards. 10 rounds of PPU.
Argie_M1891_rifle+carbine_08-02-2018_B.jpg
Rifle, carbine, bayonet and chargers.
Forward

Ernest T
United States of America

Re: Argentine Model 1891 Infantry Rifle & Cavalry Carbine At The Range

#2 Post by Ernest T » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm

Beautiful guns. Surprising you are shooting better with the Carbine. I sold off my Argentine collection, 91, 09, and Carbine and of course I'm regretting it. I do remember that the Carbine was a shoulder buster, so I don't miss it as much as the others. :lol:

For me the 09 was a tack driver, and the 91 a close second. I couldn't hit anything with the carbine after the first shot, because I was anticipating the recoil.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Calfed » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:18 am

Those are nice guns, stomper!

Do you reload? I've shot quite a bit of 174 gr PPU in my Argentines and have not been impressed with the accuracy. It is a good source of brass for reloading, however.

I've got a number of Argentine Mausers, including an '09 long rifle that the prior owner mounted a scope on. I use it in the "open" class at a vintage military rifle silhouette match. The "open" class is for rifles that are otherwise original, but have a scope mounted. I usually shoot either a Persian (also drilled and tapped by a previous owner) or the '09 Argentine Mauser. I ended up putting Bushnell 10x40 3200 scopes on both of them.

Went to Sac Valley Shooting Center some time back to check zero on my rifles and to try out some handloads for an upcoming silhouette match.

Both rifles did well. I used the 300 yard range and started at 220 yards (200 meters), to get a good zero for the chickens.

After a few scope corrections, the Argentine did pretty well with handloads @ 200 meters...

ImageImage

As an experiment, I shot some Prvi Partizan 7.65x53 commercial 174 gr ammunition through my Argentine Mauser to compare to my handloads

The Prvi at 220 yards:

stomper
United States of America

#4 Post by stomper » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:41 pm

Ernest T wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:48 pm
Beautiful guns. Surprising you are shooting better with the Carbine. I sold off my Argentine collection, 91, 09, and Carbine and of course I'm regretting it. I do remember that the Carbine was a shoulder buster, so I don't miss it as much as the others. :lol:

For me the 09 was a tack driver, and the 91 a close second. I couldn't hit anything with the carbine after the first shot, because I was anticipating the recoil.
The carbine has a newer barrel than the rifle and its bore is in better shape. With my Argie 1909 rifle and carbine the rifle's bore is much better and it is the more consistent shooter.
Calfed wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:18 am
Those are nice guns, stomper!

Do you reload? I've shot quite a bit of 174 gr PPU in my Argentines and have not been impressed with the accuracy. It is a good source of brass for reloading, however.
Thank you, sir. I don't reload yet (I don't have the space for the equipment) but I save all my brass for when that day comes.
Forward

Return to “Spanish/S. American/Central American/Mexican Rifles”