Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Mauser 98 metallurgy over the decades - DWM 1908/1909 vs Mauser 1935

Gaius_Marius
Germany

Mauser 98 metallurgy over the decades - DWM 1908/1909 vs Mauser 1935

#1 Post by Gaius_Marius » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:15 am

Hello and greetings from Germany!

I'm looking for a nice example of a Mauser 98 type rifle.
Here in Germany, the 1908 (Brazil) and 1909 (Argentina) actions made by DWM are held in high regard and are often used as a basis for custom guns. The same is true for the 1912 Steyr actions.

During my search I also encountered (in fewer numbers) rifles made by Mauser in 1935 for Chile and Brazil.
As the latter were produced decades later, do the 1935 models benefit from advances in technology? Is the heat treatment for example more consistent (not that I know that the 1908/1909 are supposed to be lacking in that regard) or were there changes in metallurgy?
Did Mauser craft their rifles with the same diligence as DWM did? The DWM rifles are said to be commercial grade.

Furthermore, I read somewhere on the internet (that oh so reliable source) that sometime after WW1 tolerances were enlarged as a consequence of bad experiences in the course of the thrench warfare. I don't know if that is indeed true and don't want to spread misinformation. If however there is some truth to that, are the 1935 models already changed in that regard?

Thank you,
Gaius_Marius

Zeliard
United States of America

Re: Mauser 98 metallurgy over the decades - DWM 1908/1909 vs Mauser 1935

#2 Post by Zeliard » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:17 pm

From what little I've searched, there seems to be no difference in the metallurgy...but I honestly have to say that I don't really know. :/
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Spanish/S. American/Central American/Mexican Rifles”