Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

FN49 Venezualen contract in 7mm.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

FN49 Venezualen contract in 7mm.

#1 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:30 pm

IMG_0271.JPG
IMG_0272.JPG
IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG
Last edited by 8thIDGrunt on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

bitrclngr
United States of America

Re: FN49 Argentinian contract? in 7mm.

#2 Post by bitrclngr » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:37 am

Venezuelan contract not Argentine. Argentine rifles were originally 7.65x53. Virtually all the rifles were re barreled to 7.62x51.

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#3 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:56 am

You are correct. My brain needs a jump start once in a while. :) It has been a while since I did the research on the rifle. Very nice shooter.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#4 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:36 pm

The 7MM's had some interesting problems with gas port pressures. I got my from a fellow shooter who could not get it to function properly with any ammo tried. Almost every case was torn in half when extracted.The gas impulse was way too strong even at the lowest setting.
It took me awhile to find that the gas port regulators holes were not drilled for 7x57 port pressures. Once I realized this I had to find a correct gas port plug. Once installed the rifle functioned as it should. I have no idea as to who's country holes were drilled in the plug as they do not match any of my '49's in my collection. I've been told too high pressures is a common problem in the 7mm rifles but have not confirmed the causes of these problems.
My rifle does shoot very well with a heavy 7mm bullet.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

8thIDGrunt
United States of America

#5 Post by 8thIDGrunt » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:25 pm

I have shot maybe 50 rounds through this one with no problems evident when I examined the brass. Fairly accurate but not on par with some of my bolt action rifles. Probably me or the ammo I used. Commercial, Privi if I remember correctly. The disassembly of this rifle is interesting. Easy, once you learn it, but interesting.

wjh
United States of America

#6 Post by wjh » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:36 am

I never got mine to cycle correctly with commercial ammo. I tried the Privi and it didn't go well. Perhaps I should check my gas port plug.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:20 am

The 7mm rifles seem to be way over-gassed. The only thing I can think of is with the smaller bore than the 8mm or .30-06 or even the 7.65 rifles, somehow the too large holed gas plug got installed or perhaps our climate conditions are different.
I've now seen two other 7mm rifles that go from short-stroking the bolt to tearing the rim off of the case by just going up a setting or two.
The ideal solution would be to weld up the holes in the gas plug ( easier to do than the gas sleeve) and have them re-drilled at a smaller diameter to perhaps control the port pressures more precisely.
What I tried when I got my rifle was to:
Replace the recoil springs with new Wolf springs. They did not help at all.
The chamber in my rifle was shiny and free of any pits or corrosion
Head space was dead on.
Adjusting the gas sleeve did not help. Either too little or too much gas,no "sweet spot"
Gas piston was within specs and was almost in new condition
Gas cylinder block was also in like new condition
I was going to knock off the gas cylinder and see if the gas port drilled in the barrel was eroded too large but was never able to find what diameter the original hole was supposed to be?
The gas plug was not loose in the gas cylinder block. The "tape test" did not fail.
The holes in the gas plug were not eroded away.
I used loads that are considered "normal military" loadings for the 7x57 Mauser as well as original surplus ammo. Nothing seemed to help until I replaced the gas plug with a new one. I don't remember who had them it may have been Springfield Sporters or SARCO.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “Spanish/S. American/Central American/Mexican Rifles”