http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I've always kind of wanted a K98 Mauser that had been sporterized awhile back and to bring it back into the fold with the exception of the scope. They just have always appealed to me and I've never had an opportunity to do so.

Recently posted on Armslist I was looking for military surplus rifles in my area and I found this. Guy who has it advertising that barrel hasnt been chopped, only the rear sight removed to accommodate the scope.

How hard would it be to convert it back to.military spec with the exception of the scope? What price range should I put the rifle in?

Seller has no clue which manufacturer made this particular rifle and is sending me more pictures later. Does still have war eagles supposedly, not import marked, but bolt doesn't match

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

The one picture I have at the moment

Attachments:
IMG_20161209_203019.jpg
IMG_20161209_203019.jpg [ 183.32 KiB | Viewed 740 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:12 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

The rule of thumb is that it would cost more than the final value of the gun.

I haven't messed with german mausers, but I see a lot of adds for original stocks that run in the $150-200 range.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:18 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Reverend Mauser wrote:
The rule of thumb is that it would cost more than the final value of the gun.

I haven't messed with german mausers, but I see a lot of adds for original stocks that run in the $150-200 range.

And More!!!
also, gonna need a proper Bolt!!, best look at how the receiver was relieved for the bent bolt!!!
I don't think I would do that One!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:47 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

With the scope mounted, you won't be able to use an original style bolt.

But with that bolt, you won't be able to mount it in an original stock, without removing wood to allow the bolt to close.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:05 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Bottom Line;
I don't consider Drilled and tapped as Candidates for "Restoration"!!!
They have "had it", not worth fooling with anymore!!! IMHO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

$150. It will cost about $400 bucks to put it back to k98. If you put high mounts on it you could use a standard bolt. Go to Numrich for pricing. The bolt body you'll have to shop around for.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Just say NO!!
Or....build a Sporter!!! someone already spent the Lions share !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I passed on it, couldn't get him to budge on price. Thought it was worth more just cause still had war eagles. Tried to explain to him that he was asking same price as you could get a rough Russian capture. Nothing, so I politely declined and got a Turk Mauser

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:39 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
Bottom Line;
I don't consider Drilled and tapped as Candidates for "Restoration"!!!
They have "had it", not worth fooling with anymore!!! IMHO

That's a fact, Jack!

The price of parts have gone sky high and stocks are real crazy. So if you like restoration you find a farm boy k98 where only the stock was cut and some metal is missing. A stock can cost $300-400. So those are worthy of a restoration. But like an old truck , you will have 2x to 3x the cost of the truck/ in your case the rifle, when done. You realize you could have purchased the intact rifle for less or the same price. But you have fun rebuilding and searching for correct wood and metal, learn something during research, and satisfaction with you effort/work. Watch out for cut barrels where 1/2 to 1 inch is missing and bent bolts. A k98 bolt can go $125-175. :o #-o :snooty:
I would search out an intact RC k98 for the going price of $650 + or - 100. The days of $350 for am RC are over :lol: Heck, even the $79 Turks are going $200-250 :snooty:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I just restored an AR43 for $250. Bought a sportered post war Czech with a pristine bore for $100. Swapped the drilled and tapped Czech receiver to a buddy for the matching AR 43 receiver that he picked up for a sporter project. Bolt mismatched. Picked up a Yugo captured stock off gunboards trader. Bought him a steak dinner for helping me swap and headspace the receiver. So if I include dinner the resto was$300. Still cheaper than an RC - so candidates are still out there - be patient.

Bubba stock

Milling the barrel breach to "clock" the sights in on the new receiver.

Finished restoration- very accurate
ImageImageImageImageImage

Can finally say I own an AR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk