http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hi all, looking at a DOT 1944 K98. Bolt seems to match barrel. No serial on receiver, which i guess is ok on late rifles. Stock has different serial. No import marks. Finish is great, barrel looks new and has a "JK" stamp? Bolt stop is copper color. I dont see any russian capture marks. How much should i offer? Thanks!

Attachments:
IMG_20160928_170110924.jpg
IMG_20160928_170110924.jpg [ 1.92 MiB | Viewed 1140 times ]
IMG_20160928_170117921.jpg
IMG_20160928_170117921.jpg [ 2.03 MiB | Viewed 1140 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:20 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Not enough pics to tell value. Do the bands match?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:13 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I dont think they do. Here are some more...

Attachments:
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG [ 93.22 KiB | Viewed 1083 times ]
IMG_0494.JPG
IMG_0494.JPG [ 99.1 KiB | Viewed 1083 times ]
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG [ 105.18 KiB | Viewed 1083 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:16 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Is the "UA" mark on the stock indicative of a Yugo rework? And is the number on the stock supposed to match the serial? Sorry for all the questions!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Hard to say exactly what it is... Certainly not "all original".

Number on the left side of the stock is typical of russian capture rifles. The laminate with a flat buttplate is typically a 1940-1941 era make. No serial number on the receiver is kind of a czech or yugo capture thing (remember, the dot and dou factories were in occupied czechoslovakia), though czech rebuilds usually have the bigger trigger guard for shooting with gloves. Yours has a milled trigger guard which is a 1943 or prior thing. Plumb/red spring steel (extractor, ejector spring, etc.) is a hint towards hot-blue refinishing.

Suffice to say it's some sort of captured/rebuilt rifle. The stock looks to have been refinished with some sort of oil.

Value.. Hard to say. 10 years ago, $175. Today RC k98's are going for price I never would have believed on gunbroker and at gun shows...

Personally, I'd be in it for no more than $375, but that's just me, and doesn't mean it's a fair price. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:53 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Here are some photos of Yugo rebuilt K98k rifles:
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=101669

Yugo capture K98k rifles generally have a vertical, up/down, stamped serial number that is parallel to the butt plate. In contrast RC Russian capture K98ks generally have a horizontal stamped number along the long axis of the stock and is positioned perpendicular to the butt plate.
So that appears to be a Yugo rebuild ??? What are the markings on the left side of the receiver?
Pics do not enlarge on my ancient Mac. But it appears to have a blued bolt and are the parts dip blued a black blue like an RC. We need close ups and lots of photos. But almost any K98 is going $400 plus. Pinged RC's are around $400/500. I am not sure what it is, and the best guy to give us info is SgtSteiner. I would guess it's a Yugo stock. The metal ??????? More close ups of the barrel markings, receiver markings and do all the numbers match or is it a mixed bag of parts? The wood stamped serial number does not match the barrel serial number??? A replacement stock Does it match the bands or floor plate or bolt serial numbers on the metal? Mixed or matching numbers to the stock or barrel? Does the floor plate match the barrel number?
:text-worthless:

Maybe painter john can chime in , I wonder if it is an early, very early Yugo rebuild lacking the Yugo crest and factory markings :confusion-scratchheadyellow: :confusion-confused:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

It's a sporter restored with a yugo stock. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. It's worth 400. The correct stock and unnumbered bands will be almost that much to correct it further.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:42 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

=D> Thanks, for an ID. An intact German stock can cost $250-350. A correct German k98k stock with cartouches even more. Stewards gets German non refinished stocks from time to time. But then you have a hard case needed to ship it in or it may come in 3-4 sections :lol: :lol: and shipping so you can add on another 50 bucks. UPS and Fed ex like to bend long boxes :roll: :evil:
These guys got them, but I never ordered from them--it would be real costly on shipping :lol:
http://www.continentalmilitaria.com/esh ... e,stranka1

Stewards has none currently listed: generally Norwegian capture parts & stocks;
http://www.stewartsmilitaryantiques.com ... es.24.html

So for $300-400 it might make a shooter if the bore & headspace are good. It still looks like the bolt is a RC blue so be sure its not an RC lacking an X in a Yugo stock? But RC reddish brown stocks are easy to find? I can not enlarge the photos.
Look at this old post and its many internal links, determine if the action has correct metal finish and if the bolt is in the white and matches itself and if all the parts are correct. You indicate the bolt matches the barrel number, perfect if it does. Even more perfect if the metal finish is original. I just can not see it in the photos. Then its worth a restoration =D>
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=136776&hilit=+romanian+k98

added I went to the library on their new computers and the upper 2 photos enlarged and its an original finish on the barrel/receiver, not an RC blue. Bolt should have 429 stamped on it. Get it if $425 or less =D>

Then it would be a fun rifle to spend some cash on and restore with a nice original finish stock. You can sell the Yugo stock on fleebay maybe $75-100. If all the metal is correct, it may be nice to drop into a correct stock, but then you got a $600 rifle that you might have $700/800 into. At $300 it would be great if you have an intact K98 late war stock with all of its metal laying around. How much fun do you want to have? I' d agree with Sgt Steiner around $350-425 as an incorrect shooter if the bore is mint. If original finish and correct bolt, at $400, I would restore it and take a loss. It will take some time to find a nice correct stock, bands, and an original cleaning rod. :think: :think: :shhh: :shifty: :doh: :doh:
Private sale offer $300 and go up to $425, Tell them it's a sporter with incorrect bands $100, and cleaning rod $75, as well as a stock that is $300-$400 to restore.
If it's a store lots of luck...
My matching sporter cost $200. The first complete stock arrived cracked in the mail, (90 degree bend in the box) and it took a year to get a second nice stock with correct metal on it. Stock is nice, but when all was done it was $400 for the stock, hard case & shipping. It's like restoring an old car, you will never get the money out of it you put into it. But it is a fun project & learning experience.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:43 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Sorry about the pictures. The barrel/bore look to me as brand new which I find odd. He agreed to $400. Once I pick it up I'll try to get better pictures. Thanks all!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:44 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

:clap: :dance: :dance: :dance:
Pics please of the bolt and barrel, the current bands on the rifle, also the cleaning rod head. Most likely a repo. or Yugo rod. I think that was an ok buy. I would have spent that just to restore it if I saw it at a WI gun show. Most likely a great bore since the outside is in such great shape. Too bad its not left as was-- but then it would be $1000 + Now the hunt is ion for a nice intact stock :pray:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

The problem is you need a corncob finish late dot marked stock which will be very hard to find and expensive. I would find a cupped buttplate stock and call it good. That yugo stock would bug me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:14 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

some info on that rifle http://www.latewar.com/html/dot.htm

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/uniform ... 8index.htm

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... en&ct=clnk