http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1926 Polish K98
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hi folks,
I'm a new member with a new-to-me Polish Mauser K98 that seems to have had an interesting life. It's marked 1926 and is matching other than the bolt. It is not Waffenamt nor do I see any marks indicating export or other changes of hands. In my imagination this means it may have been put to work against the Blitzkrieg and/or by resistance/partisans... but that's just imagination.

The stock is pretty rugged, but the action is good and the bore appears to be in good shape, though it needs some attention with a cleaning kit. There's a bit of rust spotting which I plan to deal with once my order of Kroil gets here.

I have linked to a gallery with a variety of pics, the site doesn't like the sizes (pixels not MB) of the images, but I have attached a couple of shots.

Can anyone shed more light on this rifle and its history?
Fritz

Gallery with high rez pics:
https://plus.google.com/photos/10153565 ... osqxiNjWRw

Attachment:
P1010629.JPG
P1010629.JPG [ 153.99 KiB | Viewed 4890 times ]

Attachment:
P1010627.JPG
P1010627.JPG [ 166.13 KiB | Viewed 4890 times ]

Post subject: Re: 1926 Polish K98
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:31 pm 

Very nice rifle, it is in much better shape than you give it credit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:46 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the input. If taken by either Russia or Germany, would there be any telltale signs.

F

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Fascinating, thanks for the info.

Any idea of market value? Searching for "Polish Mauser 1926" finds items on offer from $400 - $<crazy>.

Thanks again,
Fritz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

waffenamt wrote:
fritzl wrote:
Thanks for the input. If taken by either Russia or Germany, would there be any telltale signs.

F

Not necessarily. If it has no import mark, there is a good chance it was a bringback, captured from the Germans by a US GI.

Regards,
Bill

Pretty much it right there. the germans considered polish and czech rifles of equal quality to their own. Generally speaking you only find depot/WaA proofs on such nongerman small arms if they went in for repair/mod...but they did at times simply proof them otherwise ( usually just on the wood ).
It's pretty much a certainty that a non import original finsih bolt only mismatch polish rifle of any flavor got 'here' via once being in german hands. There are gobs of german police with polich K98's , and being they were not exactly combat units and take in account many rifles were taken in police barracks when the allies occupied such places.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:30 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for all of the insight, folks!

I think that this rifle is a keeper, Granddad got us a nice piece of history. Is this too nice to use as a shooter? It seems like it falls into the "interesting but not unique" category, which means that white gloves aren't necessary and if the barrel gets shoot smooth (unlikely for my range habits): so be it.

Regards,
Fritz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:13 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

fritzl wrote:

I think that this rifle is a keeper, Granddad got us a nice piece of history. Is this too nice to use as a shooter? It seems like it falls into the "interesting but not unique" category, which means that white gloves aren't necessary and if the barrel gets shoot smooth (unlikely for my range habits): so be it.

Regards,
Fritz

I'd shoot it if it were mine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Mr. Fritzl,

That is really nice. Thanks for posting the photos. I really enjoyed them a lot.

I am glad it sounds like you are going to keep her!

I am very happy those ole warhorses have a good home with someone who appreciates them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:46 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

fritzl wrote:

Regards,
Fritz

What a nice rifle. They are getting more rare. I have a sporterized one that I would like to restore. I would feel bad shooting it because there are not that many of the crested ones left. Many have been bubbafied.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:29 am 
Match Winner
Match Winner

I tell you what, I will take that ruff Polish Mauser off your hands when you do not need it any more. :lol: If that was my rifle I would shoot it and enjoy it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:48 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The Polish mausers with crests have a interesting and sad history. They were stolen by the Nazis and Soviets when Poland was invaded from both sides, which was the end of the Second Polish Republic and beginning of a nightmare that resulted in the slaughter of roughly 6 million Polish citizens during the war (2.9 million ethnic Poles and 2.7-2.9 million Polish Jews) and the 1.5 million Poles that were murdered AFTER the war in Soviet occupied Poland. Polish soldiers threw away the bolts to temporarily make the rifles unusable by their enemies. Later they ended up in the hands of American GI's that brought them to the States. Unfortunately many of them ended up bubbafied. The Polish mausers with crests, in good condition are quite rare. I look for them all the time, and even though they rarely came up on the major gun auctions, its even less often now. Also, the Kar 98A/98AZ wz. 98's are more rare than the wz. 29's. If you are ever interested in selling it, I will buy it from you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:06 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Luckily I got Polish K98 Mauser
F.B. Radom 1928

I'm not sure it's for sale yet ...

BTW - very good description right above :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:14 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Your rifle would have been some of the first made in Poland on equipment taking form Germany.
Poland was made after the war by old men in England and France and old men were put in charge
Old men do, like most, what they know and that was more men, more horses, more rifles and more land build
a strong Nation.
If you look at Poland's 1920/1938 You'll see some good stuff, but the old men had a to chose like
all of Europe pro communist or against communism. They chose to turn a buck and sold arms to the commies.

Nothing is more EVIL then communism! There is a reason why in the US there's a black hole in the history books covering Europe in the post WW1 years.

Most Polish rifles in the US are from Spain bought by commies scrubbed by Poland before shipping to hide the support.
It is said Poland sold the guns that where giving to it after the ww1 for $15 and it cost the $10 to make new ones for themselves.
Your gun was probably surrender to Germany and turn around to fight the Commies. A lot of Pols and Russian fought against stalin.
After the war these folks where 'repatriated' and shot!
The best chance is it was put on guard duty and surrendered to the Americans, taking home buy a post war soldier.
Its a nice piece :thumb: