http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1894 Steyr GEW 88
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hello all here`s probably my second oldest rifle in my ever growing collection. It is an 1894 Steyr GEW 88 that is in original condition (beaten to hell,"been there, done that"). It was never converted to take the stripper clips and from what I`ve seen on it there appear to be no Turkish marks on the receiver or the bolt so it stayed in Germany for who knows how long. I bought it sometime last year for $220 and found a mauser bayonet for $130 at a gun show a few weeks later. I haven`t fired it only because there is slight corrosion along where the barrel jacket meets the stock and there is a small hole that the corrosion got to so I`m not sure about the condition of the barrel. Any thoughts?

Attachments:
DSCN0175.JPG
DSCN0175.JPG [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 2374 times ]
DSCN0176.JPG
DSCN0176.JPG [ 2.49 MiB | Viewed 2374 times ]
DSCN0180.JPG
DSCN0180.JPG [ 2.32 MiB | Viewed 2374 times ]
DSCN0183.JPG
DSCN0183.JPG [ 2.28 MiB | Viewed 2374 times ]
DSCN0188.JPG
DSCN0188.JPG [ 2.26 MiB | Viewed 2374 times ]

Last edited by burban89 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 1894 Steyr GEW 88
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Nice rifle, I wish I could get lucky and find one like that.

If your not sure of the barrel condition, you could take it to a gun shop and have it checked out to see if its still safe to shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Quote:
If your not sure of the barrel condition, you could take it to a gun shop and have it checked out to see if its still safe to shoot.

I`ve been mulling that idea around in my head for some time but I just haven`t found the time or struck up the nerve to go and get it looked at yet. It`s still a great display piece over the mantle but I really do want to try and shoot it seeing as how I have a few charger clips for it and have about 100 rounds of 8X57J ammo for it. I guess I`m just conflicted in that regard.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:19 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

It was fairly common for moisture to get inside the jacket and cause corrosion to the jacket and the outside of the barrel. One of the downsides of that design! If you can get the jacket off, you may be able to see the extent of any damage to the barrel. I had a 1894 Danzig many years ago that had surface rust on the barrel exterior under the jacket but not heavy. My 1891 Erfurt was shinney and dry under the jacket. If the jacket has rusted through, I would want to check the depth of any external pitting on the barrel before firing! The barrel can look great in the bore and be pitted almost through on the outside.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:02 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Quote:
Your bayonet looks to be a Chinese G88 bayonet, used with the Chinese made G88 before they modified it to become the Hanyang (which takes a different bayonet)

That makes sense to me seeing as how I bought the bayonet under the guise it was a siamese mauser bayonet but chinese ones do look like this so I`m not sure on where it was made. Either way it was the cheapest bayonet I could find for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Does your gew88 have any matching bits ?. If not what are the serials of the bolt head and rear sight assembly by chance ?.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

the bolt is about he only thing mismatched from the rifle itself. Everything seems to have the same serial number so I think it was a German arsenal put together probably done during WW1 seeing as how all of the parts including the mismatched bolt have the same patina on them and have no other foreign markings besides imperial german marks. The bolt`s number is 2963 but the rest of the rifle is 5858 and the corresponding two digit numbers on the rear sight both are 58.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:42 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I would think most of the Gew 88's in German service use during WW1 would have been modified for the S-Patrone bullets and or have the 88/05 modifications, but I don't know for sure if that is the case. In any case, nice to have mostly matching numbers on that one!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:16 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

It might`ve been modified for the S bullets but some of the markings are faint, almost not even legible in areas so there could be an 'S' marking somewhere but time probably faded it out. In any case the 8X57J ammo that I have from Old Western Scrounger is a lighter load that should be safe enough to shoot out of it no matter if it was modified or not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

That is sweet! I miss my old 88 parts gun I restored. The barrels were usually greased under the jacket and I highly doubt there is any significant pitting under there. If it were mine, i'd shoot in a heartbeat with the proper ammo. Throw a slug through there to confirm bore diameter, :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I put one of the bullets into the barrel and it fits perfectly so I know it is an 8mm-ish caliber (the bullet I used was one of my 8X57J`s). I might shoot it later on down the road but since it was made at Steyr instead of one of the more common arsenals I might just display it until the urge to shoot it overpowers me and I just have to shoot it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:47 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I remember that 8X57J ammo from OWS! Do you have any clips for it? You will need the old style Mannlicher clips like these from Numrich.
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/3050.htm
They call it a stripper clip, but it's not!
I don't know how well these ones from Numrich work since all the Gew 88's I've ever owned were the 88/05 modified type.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Yep I have six I think. I know where five of them are right now but the sixth is somewhere among my gun supply stuff. I bought them from a dealer friend of mine who used to shoot 88`s and I came to find out the gun I had bought originally belonged to him. (he had sold it some time ago, probably six or seven years prior to me owning it, and after I showed it to him he immediately recognized it as his former rifle)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

burban89, nice rifle , i have a 88 just like yours ,,same year ,same maker and also unmolested (no cleaning rod though #-o ).
i took it out of the wood and unscrewed the jacket and underneath is what looks like a new barrel , very clean.
i bet yours looks just as good... :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Quote:
i took it out of the wood and unscrewed the jacket and underneath is what looks like a new barrel , very clean.
i bet yours looks just as good...

I hope it does look that good so that I don`t have to replace the barrel. That`ll get expensive at least for me anyway.