Argentine Mauser 1891 mag cap and stock

MAC702

Argentine Mauser 1891 mag cap and stock

Post by MAC702 »

Everything naturally says this is a 5-round magazine. I can only get 4 rounds into mine. I can push the 4th round down enough to feed a 5th into the chamber, but this is obviously not what's intended as if you don't push it down, you'll get a double-feed.

I've just finished taking mine apart, cleaning and lubing it, and putting it back together. There's nothing blocking the springs that I can see.

This is my only Argentine, so I thought I'd see what ideas y'all might have or know about. Later in the month, I might be able to compare it to another one if the guys have my range have the same design.

Along the same lines, it appears that I can use a German K98k stripper, even though it's a bit loose. I see that Argentine strippers are available. Does it make enough of a difference to acquire some?
Last edited by MAC702 on Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Argentine Mauser 1891 magazine capacity

Post by 72 usmc »

have you seen this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHUrQ38yqu0

here is a different one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEZtQxf2jzQ

It is a simple 5 round box, but is it possible the spring is hung up on the back or front edge? Did your box actually snap into correct position?? I heard of the bolt not picking up a cartridge, but never not able to insert 5 rounds. Did the video show any oddities with your parts or there position?
I assume you are using the correct ammo. 7.62x53 Argentine not 7x57 mauser. Just to be sure, I bet you think I am nuts, but I had a friend buy an Argentine and he thought it used the same 7mm ammo as the Chilean Mauser. I am not meaning to insult you, just a question to be sure. I do not own an Argentine because of the ammunition issue. I do not want another odd ball round to reload. I stick with 7mm and 8 mm Mausers.

:idea: Is it possible you have an aftermarket, replacement mag box that is staked at 4 rounds because the original had weak springs?
You are 100% correct about the capacity of the original magazine. However, the ones advertised by Gun Parts Corp. are stated as being 4 round and it was those magazines to which I was referring. (I don't know why the reduction in capacity.)
Gun Parts is always sending out odd ball or defective reproduction junk. Their heyday is over for quality original parts. They should have purchased all of Springfield Sporters stock-- way too cheep. Maybe someone did a repair in the past and used their garbage part.
Screen Shot 2020-07-10 at 4.17.28 PM.png
In any event my favorite store has 5 round original replacements see LIBERTYTREECOLLECTORS:
https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=38 BE SURE TO CHECK WHICH ONE YOU NEED 2 TYPES:
2 types available.

Early Type: pre 1894 with no lock notch on the front.

Late Type: post 1894 with the lock notch added for the extra lock
A91.mb.1.jpg
I have no need for strippers at the range. If you like them, I would buy a few actual 1891 strippers. It is easy to just push in the rounds. They are about 1.50/ 2 bucks at gun shows. Or buy some old ammo for the strippers, the ammo will be no fire , hang fire, or squibs.

7.65x53 rim diameter.474, 7x57 (7mm Mauser) rim diameter is .476, and 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser) rim diameter is .470. I am not sure in the rim thickness or rim cut differences and how those attributes may effect the fit. So best to get either the old type or new type original Argentine clips if you like them. You know it will fit. You generally see vintage garbage So. American Mauser ammo at gun shows, some on strippers. Most likely it is easier to just buy from a supplier like liberty or ....
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

MAC702

Post by MAC702 »

I've done enough internet troubleshooting in other forums to know there is no such thing as a stupid question or assumption. Even with what little I know of the Argentine Mausers, I should have anticipated the ammo question and headed it off to confirm that I am shooting PPU 7.65x53mm ammo. I'll be reloading the brass eventually.

I did shoot the rifle, finally, today. Nice 3 MOA group on paper at 50 yards, and then rang some steel at 300 and 400.

Very good observation about a replacement magazine possibly being only 4 rounds. Other work has been done on this rifle, so I'll bet you nailed it. It is a post 1894 example with the notch and screw.

In my many hours of research into Argentines last night, I did choke through that first video (and his part 1), but I liked your second video, and it was one I'd not seen yet. It's almost hard to believe that Forgotten Weapons or C&Rsenal haven't done Argentines yet, that I can find.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

MAC702

Post by MAC702 »

Thanks again! That was a very nice video Ian did on the parade rifle.

So it turns out this Argentine 1891 that I acquired (it was in a batch of 7 rifles that I bought from an old pal) is not in the correct stock. Once I knew I was looking for something, I could tell. That explains why mine doesn't have a cleaning rod, too.

Numrich has nothing. Liberty Tree has carbine stocks, but not rifles. Anyone know of a source? Thanks! No sense even looking for the bayonet unless I can put it in the right stock.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Argentine Mauser 1891 mag cap and stock

Post by 72 usmc »

I am not sure what parts you need, but dog rifles in original stocks can be had at Recon Ordnance in WI. $349 see this link
https://www.reconord.com/services.html
Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 10.59.51 PM.png
You got a $60 cleaning rod, $50 correct 5 shot mag and a stock generally runs $150-200. Then you have a spare bolt and screws. Almost any complete bolt runs $100
Call them, maybe they got spare stocks or parts rifles cheeper? At the cost of todays parts it generally takes 2 or 3 rifles to get one restored. Parts are no longer to be had since Springfield Sporters closed down. Prior to all that expense, I would be sure yours headspaces, has a crest, and nice bore. It might be easier to buy a decent rifle and use the one you have as a parts source???? I have seen some nice Argentine mausers at $425-550 at our larger gun shows.

MAC702

Re: Argentine Mauser 1891 mag cap and stock

Post by MAC702 »

Very good link. I can't see anything relevant currently on their website, but I will E-mail them and go from there. Heck, maybe I'll look into getting a few other rifles I don't have just to put in the collection, too. The calvary carbines look very cool. I've already got plenty of ammo. Thanks; I'll keep you posted!

Today's shooting was to test my Egyptian Hakim that I recently acquired. It wouldn't go into battery, nor come back open without a hammer. There was that much fouling in the gas tube. I love my Hornady Hot Tub ultrasonic cleaner!

I was also testing my US 1898 Krag, and verifying the sights on my FAL that I'll be using at tomorrow's Vintage Military Semi-Auto Rifle match in Las Vegas. Several of us have informally decided to bring FALs this month, just because.

Return to “Spanish/S. American/Central American/Mexican Rifles”