Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

My M95

Kpcasey
United States of America

My M95

#1 Post by Kpcasey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey guys I picked this up at a local gun show today as I've always wanted a straight pull back action rifle such as the Styer m95 or k31. I went to shoot it today and realized it would not chamber a 8x56r round and was wondering if this was an original m95 still chambered in 8x50r ? Or the Calvary carbine ? Any insight would be appreciated, thanks. All matching as well.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kpcasey
United States of America

Re: My M95

#2 Post by Kpcasey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:22 pm

Barrel is about 19 inches and here are the sights.

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#3 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:02 pm

Were you loading from a clip? If you were attempting to place a round into the chamber (without a clip) and then close the bolt on it, that would cause difficulty even with the right ammo. I believe the serial number on the ball of the bolt handle indicates it saw Bulgarian service, which almost certainly means it would have been upgraded to 8x56r...

Kpcasey
United States of America

#4 Post by Kpcasey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:13 pm

PennsylvaniaRifleman wrote:Were you loading from a clip? If you were attempting to place a round into the chamber (without a clip) and then close the bolt on it, that would cause difficulty even with the right ammo. I believe the serial number on the ball of the bolt handle indicates it saw Bulgarian service, which almost certainly means it would have been upgraded to 8x56r...
That could be it , I was not attempting with the clip I'll try that. Thank you. Such a noobie here with the Styer lol

Kevinofborg
United States of America

#5 Post by Kevinofborg » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Kpcasey,

I believe you have one that was not upgraded to 8x56R. I do not see a S or H generally over the crest-service year (pictures 2 and 7) also your front sight is the older short one and not one of the taller ones which are normally on a refurbished gun. But it is a Budapest and that is always nice to see. Congrats!.

A chamber cast will tell for sure or you can see if you can find a 8x50R bullet.

Kevin

Since I just shot my newest M95 today I grabbed it for a couple of photos:
Attachments
IMGP5931.JPG
IMGP5930.JPG
IMGP5929.JPG
Last edited by Kevinofborg on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinofborg
TX

Kpcasey
United States of America

#6 Post by Kpcasey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:16 am

There's a small crack at the tang or wrist on mine which saddens me :(. Does anyone know if this is repairable , I want this to be a shooter. I'm fairly new to the milsurp world so I know this will happen from time to time. Any advise ? Thank you.

Kpcasey
United States of America

#7 Post by Kpcasey » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:17 am

Nice rifle by the way !

M67
Slovenia

#8 Post by M67 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:13 am

Beautiful short rifle. Number on the bolt handle is not original, but other parts believe they are. 8x50R? Possible.
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

NCshooter
United States of America

#9 Post by NCshooter » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 pm

I'm gonna' say its 8x56 cause it has the "S" on the barrel shank and it's imported markings show 8x56. I'd say trying loading it with a clip and see if it chambers.

Kevinofborg
United States of America

#10 Post by Kevinofborg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:06 pm

NCshooter wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 pm
I'm gonna' say its 8x56 cause it has the "S" on the barrel shank and it's imported markings show 8x56. I'd say trying loading it with a clip and see if it chambers.
The OPs rifle did not have a S. What you see above is my rifle to show what to look for.

Kevin
kevinofborg
TX

Smokey
United States of America

#11 Post by Smokey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:38 pm

I have clips so never tried single loading into the chamber then closing the bolt. There's some risk of the extractor breaking, from making it flex over the rim. Until you get clips I suggest you just lay a round right on the follower, then see if you can close the bolt, allowing the rim to work up under the extractor. At least a few folks say this works. I purchased a NOE 0.338 mold and load them with gas checks at that diameter. They shoot extremely well in my "baby cannon" at around 1800 fps. It makes a really handy brush blaster for some of my furry bad neighbors. The land diameter in mine is 0.315, and the groove diameter is 0.334. It shoots very well with 0.330 jacketed bullets. Recoil is "noticeable" to say the least with stout loads. Oh, the bolt was a little stiff to operate until I took it apart and greased it internally. I probably won't repeat that for a while, putting it back together was not easy.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#12 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:00 pm

I think you may have a Stutzen carbine and that is a good thing! It surly could be in 8x50R. The sling swivels are correct for the early carbine.
Remove the bolt,drop a live round in the chamber,muzzle down towards the floor. How far does it stick out of the chamber if at all? Photo's please.
As for the stock crack,it's easy to repair with many options such as pegs or glues. Contact "candyman" here on SRF. He is our resident stock repair expert for advice.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Kpcasey
United States of America

#13 Post by Kpcasey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:56 am

Rapidrob wrote:I think you may have a Stutzen carbine and that is a good thing! It surly could be in 8x50R. The sling swivels are correct for the early carbine.
Remove the bolt,drop a live round in the chamber,muzzle down towards the floor. How far does it stick out of the chamber if at all? Photo's please.
As for the stock crack,it's easy to repair with many options such as pegs or glues. Contact "candyman" here on SRF. He is our resident stock repair expert for advice.
Thanks!! I'll get it repaired , I appreciate all the input everyone's been a help. I'm excited to have a un upgraded m 95, as a history major it makes shooting this rifle all the more enjoyable!

Return to “Austrian Rifles”