Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Bought the story...the rifle was cheap

echo1
United States of America

Bought the story...the rifle was cheap

#1 Post by echo1 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:49 am

Hi Guys,

Many moons ago, when Kali was a free state, and cash & carry reigned supreme, I ran across this little guy garage sailing. The little old lady that had it out, said her grampa "Brought it back from over there...he was a Doughboy". I was vaguely familiar with the action, but had only seen long rifles. When I gave it the quickie once over, it seemed to me that it could have been from a cavalry unit, mainly by the sling placement (saddle ring?). It did have some weird damage to the stock, but for $25 bucks, I'm a sucker for old iron & wood. As the years pass and I hook up with the likes of you fellas, I've become a littler more edjumacated bout different stuff. It appears that it's a not too common Styer Mannlicher Model 1890 Cavalry Carbine. No hand guards, bayo lug or stacking hook, and this one has a 3rd sling loop.
The front sight base is dove tailed, rear sights are in graduated in schritt, the barrel & receiver numbers don't match.
There's no indication that the caliber has been changed.
The bolt cocking piece is the early round type.
And the piece d'resistance was the afore mentioned stock damage. The front part of the stock had been cleanly cut with a hack saw, near the front sling band, and was only held on with the front band. It was quite perplexing as a presumed Bubba sport job. When I got it home, I glued it back with some Elmers wood glue.

It wasn't until years later that I even heard of a "Duffle Cut", which this must be an example of. A Dough Boy's battlefield pickup. That's the story and I'm stickin to it. PAX

vandle
Australia

Re: Bought the story...the rifle was cheap

#2 Post by vandle » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:09 am

Nice rifle, something I would like to find.

The history on these old girls is very interesting
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

72 usmc
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#3 Post by 72 usmc » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 am

Love the original patina.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

vandle
Australia

#4 Post by vandle » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:56 am

72 usmc wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:42 am
Love the original patina.
x2
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#5 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:12 am

It looks to be still in 8x50R? Nice carbine.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

indy1919a4
United States of America

#6 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:37 am

How well does the Bolt work compared to some of the M95 and m90 conversions.. I have heard people say that guns got alot of the Bolt stiffness when they were
reworked and converted.. This is closer to the Original configuration. And has anyone ever seen and M90/24 converted to 8mm.. I have a real thing for the M95m & m95/24s but have never seen an m90/24 and I like the idea of it...

echo1
United States of America

#7 Post by echo1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:46 pm

indy1919a4 wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:37 am
How well does the Bolt work compared to some of the M95 and m90 conversions.. I have heard people say that guns got alot of the Bolt stiffness when they were
reworked and converted.. This is closer to the Original configuration. And has anyone ever seen and M90/24 converted to 8mm.. I have a real thing for the M95m & m95/24s but have never seen an m90/24 and I like the idea of it...
I wouldn't know as this is the only unit I've really handled much. It's a little sticky, but it's dry and dirty. It's not been converted as far as I could tell is all original. The sight blade is dovetailed to the front sight base, but the base is part of the barrel. The only subtle difference, from the few pictures I've seen, is the 3rd sling swivel. It was missing when I acquired it, but the hole is cut in a square/rectangle, like the one at the front, and at the wrist, which appears factory. I would think a field mod would simply be a drilled round hole, or a typical 2 screw mounted swivel. The butt plate is one piece, not hinged. The butt is scrubbed almost flat on both sides, where rack numbers might have been??? PAX

indy1919a4
United States of America

#8 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Many thanks for your inputs and photos Echo1.. Considering the importance of this arm in Eastern Europe, we sometimes to not give these guys enough attention..

Return to “Austrian Rifles”