http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NHM91 Norinco is jammed
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I got a hold of a NHM91 Norinco that hasn't been fired in about 5 years, it has some rust on the tip of the barrel, and it didn't have a magazine with it. I went out and bought an AK47 magazine, but it seems like it didn't want to fit. Another thing I noticed is that I can pull the bolt on the side back, it is stuck in the forward position. I made sure I took off the safety to try and pull the bolt back, but it wont budge? I got some break free oil and oiled the spring on it and sent oil down the barrel, I also turned it upside down and put oil all where the magazine goes. I tried it again after 30 minutes and still nothing. I have since re oiled it and have left it alone. I was told be a guy at a local gunshop that Arabs will kick the bolts free, but I didn't want to kick it open and risk messing something up. Please give me advice on what to do. I have seen the field strip videos of an AK-47 and it looks really similar to this one. Should I strip it down? I really would like to fire this gun, after cleaning and verifying that the magazine will work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norinco MAK90
Norinco Type 54 (Tokarev)
M91/30 Mosin Nagant 1940 Izhevsk
M38 Mosin Nagant 1942 Izhevsk
Austrian M95 Steyr Mannlicher Carbine
Western Auto Revelation 310B
Savage Model 1907

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

sheesh, should've cleaned and oiled it well before putting the rifle in the safe for long term storage. Otherwise just hit the bolt handle with a block of wood or kick it open, you wont damage anything inside, after all it is an AK. I had to do that to my Tantel a few years back when i fired it and went on a 7 monthes vacation. Lesson learnt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

gun addict wrote:
sheesh, should've cleaned and oiled it well before putting the rifle in the safe for long term storage. Otherwise just hit the bolt handle with a block of wood or kick it open, you wont damage anything inside, after all it is an AK. I had to do that to my Tantel a few years back when i fired it and went on a 7 monthes vacation. Lesson learnt

Well I just got it, it was given to me, so the oiling wasn't up to me unfortunately, but I will definitely try the wood block then the kick. What can you tell me about the magazine? I thought I read that the Norinco NHM91 could only accept a 10round magazine, is this correct? I have a plastic like material AK47 30round magazine, and I haven't tried to load it on the rifle.

Norinco MAK90
Savage Model 1907

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:25 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

You could start by removing the receiver cover, and spring and if the bolt and carrier dont just fall out a light tap from a wood block should do the trick........... did you get the rifle with stuck bolt???

2004-20??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Sergeant Rock wrote:
You could start by removing the receiver cover, and spring and if the bolt and carrier dont just fall out a light tap from a wood block should do the trick........... did you get the rifle with stuck bolt???

I could do that, I had that in mind, and yes, I got it like that with the bolt stuck, but I know it fired before. I have no experience with assault rifles, I have a handgun, shotgun, and long rifle, but I don't know how easy the clip should go in on this thing.

Norinco MAK90
Savage Model 1907

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:34 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

most AK mags fit kinda rough, from my personal experience it is possible yours may be made to only accept single stack mags, possibly some kind of Cali-legal rifle. it was most likely fired with corrosive ammo and not cleaned leaving a lot of residue and some rust to lock things up............ I suggest a very thorough cleaning and disassembly and I mean VERY THOROUGH! complete disassembly of the bolt and everything not permanatly attached to the rifle

2004-20??

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

there's no NHM-91 imported that feeds from single stack magazines that im aware of . 99.999 percent chances are your NHM will feed from any Com-bloc AK magazines. If your mag is a plastic tapco-promag i'd advice you to avoid it, instead buy some surplus REAL combloc AK mags off websites such as AIMSURPLUS. One of the reasons AKs are known for their reliability is the superior design of their magazines, the eastern european ones will do you no wrong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

gun addict wrote:
there's no NHM-91 imported that feeds from single stack magazines that im aware of . 99.999 percent chances are your NHM will feed from any Com-bloc AK magazines. If your mag is a plastic tapco-promag i'd advice you to avoid it, instead buy some surplus REAL combloc AK mags off websites such as AIMSURPLUS. One of the reasons AKs are known for their reliability is the superior design of their magazines, the eastern european ones will do you no wrong

Ok, so avoid the plastic and go for a comblock, got it. Is there a reason behind this? Just curious and want to learn, thanks.

Norinco MAK90
Savage Model 1907

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

well think about it this way, how were those Combloc magazine produced? Under very tough supervision, in a communist controlled plant with drawings handed to them by the military, and built for war, not profit

now American promag/tapco? Built somewhere as cheap as possible, to sell to a market of people whos lives are not gonna depend on it anyway. The quality and durability of the plastic mags is atrocious compared to their counterparts made in former soviet union nations. That is not to bash on plastic though, if you can find Combloc bakelite magazines for your AK47/74 they too are tough as nail.

Look at the feed lips of American made plastic mags, it's made out of plastic, after some uses it will wear out, then look at the Combloc's feed lip, yup it's steel, if that isnt one of the biggest indicator of quality/durability i dont know what is

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:47 am 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Well what do you think would be better?
A mag that was made by people that actually make AK's?
Or a mag that made by people that make mags for people that just want to look cool?
A Actual military mag will work better then any aftermarket mag.
Fall on a plastic mag once and see how well it woks all busted up.
Fall on a steel mag and you feel what parts of you got all busted up.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Some nhm's have a rivet installed in the magwell to only allow the insertion of the original modified mags.
I filed mine off and works fine. :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:04 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

49north wrote:
Some nhm's have a rivet installed in the magwell to only allow the insertion of the original modified mags.
I filed mine off and works fine. :clap:

Can you please post a picture of this rivet, so that I know where it is at. I have read of such rive at allows only the 10 round magazine.

Norinco MAK90
Savage Model 1907

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Try this: www.ak-47.us/JAFreeman_AK47_Rifles.php
The arrow on the picture points to the general area...the rivet is above, on the inside of the receiver. Pretty common on these rifles.