Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Finns

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
capt14k
United States of America

Finns

#1 Post by capt14k » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:14 am

I was going through some pics and came across pics of some of my Finns. It's not all of them, but it is most of them.

I'm not actively collecting Finns anymore due to the what I see as a lack of vetting. Too many fakes, re finished, and rebuilt rifles out there that no one seems to want to talk about. I have a bunch of Finnish bayonets many with frogs to sell. Just need to start listing them. I do want to get a M/39 Sky and M/24 SIG eventually. Those are two rifles that have eluded me.

ImageImageImage

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited by capt14k on Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

AMraider
United States of America

Re: Finns

#2 Post by AMraider » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:31 pm

NIce looking group!

Friedspam
United States of America

#3 Post by Friedspam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:36 pm

That's definitely the most extensive Finn Bayonet collection I've ever seen, those M39 bayo's are scarcer than hens teeth.

capt14k
United States of America

#4 Post by capt14k » Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Friedspam wrote:That's definitely the most extensive Finn Bayonet collection I've ever seen, those M39 bayo's are scarcer than hens teeth.
Thank you. There are over 20 more that aren't pictured.

That's another fallacy that has been spread for years. In reality M/39 bayonets they are the third most common Finn Bayonet behind only the M/29 and M/28. There are over 9,000 of them left. Whereas the M/42 there were 150 made. The M/39 are in demand and perceived as rare so they trade at the second most after the M/42. However any day you will see at least one M/39 bayonet for sale. In the last year I have seen over 150 trade. I have seen exactly three M/42 bayonets trade in 2 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friedspam
United States of America

#5 Post by Friedspam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:30 pm

Pardon my ignorance, I wasn't trying to mislead or spread untrue rumors, it's just when I see a M39 bayonet it's instantly recognizable as such, the longer more traditional Finn bayonets all look the same to me, I've even owned one or two over the years for various Finns I've owned and sold but never had the opportunity to buy the M39 for anything close to what I thought made sense. I couldn't get myself to justify paying more for the bayo than the rifle.

It also looked more like a knife, possibly would be more useful as a tool than just a bayonet, so when they might have been imported years ago likely where bought by outdoorsy folks looking for a cheap camp knife. I look for the M39 bayonet at every gunshow I attend and darn sure don't see many. Bayonets are kind of an item I tend to vacillate on, there where times when I felt I had to have a bayo for each rifle, then I realized there where some particular rifles where the bayonets where made from unobtainium, like the Jungle carbine. I also started adding up the bayo collection and realized I could own several rifles if I hadn't spent so much on the stickers.

capt14k
United States of America

#6 Post by capt14k » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Friedspam wrote:Pardon my ignorance, I wasn't trying to mislead or spread untrue rumors, it's just when I see a M39 bayonet it's instantly recognizable as such, the longer more traditional Finn bayonets all look the same to me, I've even owned one or two over the years for various Finns I've owned and sold but never had the opportunity to buy the M39 for anything close to what I thought made sense. I couldn't get myself to justify paying more for the bayo than the rifle.

It also looked more like a knife, possibly would be more useful as a tool than just a bayonet, so when they might have been imported years ago likely where bought by outdoorsy folks looking for a cheap camp knife. I look for the M39 bayonet at every gunshow I attend and darn sure don't see many. Bayonets are kind of an item I tend to vacillate on, there where times when I felt I had to have a bayo for each rifle, then I realized there where some particular rifles where the bayonets where made from unobtainium, like the Jungle carbine. I also started adding up the bayo collection and realized I could own several rifles if I hadn't spent so much on the stickers.
I didn't think you were intentionally spreading anything. I didn't mean to come off rude. I apologize if I did.

I do think there are a group of people who did spread the lie about the rarity of the M/39 bayonet intentionally. Reason being they bought many of them through the Finn Surplus stores about 12 years ago for less than $100 each. Then sold them for over $400 a piece. All the while claiming how rare they were.

The M/42 is also a puukko style and is pictured as well. That one is truly rare and when it does trade it sells for double what an M/39 does. However a M/39 usually sells for double what a Hackman M/35 does even though the Hackman M/35 is much more rare.

Friedspam
United States of America

#7 Post by Friedspam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:55 pm

No harm no foul, I make light hearted comments on subjects I'm not too knowledgeable on so I hope people don't take my comments too seriously. I obviously touched a nerve or at least appeared to be propagating a fallacy about the aforementioned M39 bayonet, for that transgression you figuratively "spanked me", but I'm man enough to take my whipping with a smile.

It's all good,
Mike

capt14k
United States of America

#8 Post by capt14k » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:57 pm

Friedspam wrote:No harm no foul, I make light hearted comments on subjects I'm not too knowledgeable on so I hope people don't take my comments too seriously. I obviously touched a nerve or at least appeared to be propagating a fallacy about the aforementioned M39 bayonet, for that transgression you figuratively "spanked me", but I'm man enough to take my whipping with a smile.

It's all good,
Mike
It's not your fault at all. Most people believe the same thing and many will try and tell me I am wrong. I have been studying Finn Bayonets for awhile and I have seen all the made up stories that have come from certain supposed experts.

Run an eBay search for completed items with keyword Finn Bayonets and you will see how prevalent the M/39 is compared to the others. I try and correct things anytime I can in the hopes the truth will spread. However it is much harder to spread the truth after years of lies. Yes I truly believe those certain individuals in essence ran a pump and dump on M/39 bayonets.

capt14k
United States of America

#9 Post by capt14k » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:10 pm

Here is a chart of production numbers of Finnish Bayonets. The only thing I will say that is wrong with it is there were no regular Fiskars M/28-30 made and they were all M/28-30-35 or M/28-30 with 35 style blade (more refined edge and sharper point). The production figures only tell half the story.

The Finns also saw the M/39 as a collectible bayonet. They kept many and pulled the best 1,500+ to number and give as gifts. Only a few hundred were actually given out.

Most of the M/39 bayonets were also never issued. So the majority survived unlike the other Finn Bayonets.

The Fiskars M/27 in original configuration is especially rare since most were upgraded to M/29 specs and many were lost or destroyed during the wars.

dogboysdad
United States of America

#10 Post by dogboysdad » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:47 pm

Great info. That explains why I don't have a Finn bayonet.

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”