http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:06 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

This web site comes and goes and don't want to loose his research.

Courtesy of: http://www.cagedlion.com/arctic.htm
Jeff Diederichs; with authors permission

The "Arctic" K98k

After the capitulation of Germany at the end of World War Two, Europe had much to accomplish before returning to any semblance normalcy - both in terms of rebuilding of infrastructure, and the revitalization of economic progress.

Czechoslovakia was no exception, and following the end of control of these weapons production facilities by Germany, production was resumed as quickly as was practical. Czechoslovakian factories had filled military small arms orders preceding the advent of German control, and resumption of weapon production for foreign and domestic military entities began shortly after return of their sovereignty.

German production of the K98k rifle (and other weapons) had continued right up until the "bitter end" of the war, as Soviet forces advanced across the "Ostfront" through Eastern Europe. Consequently, production was essentially "frozen", with much work in process at various stages of manufacturing filling the stockrooms and littering assembly lines of the Brno and Povazská Bystrica plants. These parts represented a vast amount of potential capital, and vested man-hours of labor. Many pieces and parts, however, had been inspected and marked according to Waffenamt inspector's doctrines - some barreled receivers even bore German Eagle/Swastika firing proofs. These parts were used, along with newly manufactured parts, to assemble complete rifles for sale and export. Receiver codes from late German production appear on some receivers, some receiver rings are totally blank, as they filtered through the production lines in various states of German and "liberated" Czechoslovakian production. Some receivers were "scrubbed", or divested of their German date and code markings by grinding. Assembled rifles do, however, display a Czech "Rampant Lion" firing proof, regardless of German markings, and rifles with letter suffixes on their serial numbers display capital letter fonts for the alphabetical character, as opposed to the lower case suffix used exclusively on German produced rifles.

No longer under the extreme pressures of a German supply system in the waning days of a total war, some of the production "shortcuts" employed in the "Kriegsmodell" program were reversed. Czechoslovakia was no longer under the restrictions of the strained German supply system. The bayonet lug was a desirable attribute for many militaries, though the Germans had deemed it's value marginal enough to omit it to save production cost and time. It's use was reinstated for postwar Czechoslovakian K98k rifles.

Stock finish standards returned to earlier, higher levels. The "Kriegsmodell" buttplate with the bolt takedown provision was retained, however. This, in combination with the return of the bayonet lug, is fairly consistent for these rifles.

The characteristic enlarged, stamped triggerguard, with an integral non-removable magazine floorplate is a hallmark of these rifles. The purpose of the enlargement of the guard loop itself is said to facilitate use of the rifle with heavy gloved hands.

It is speculated that by 1945, the Czech and Slovak plants had been almost exclusively supplied with triggerguards from other suppliers in Germany - the main Mauser Oberndorf plant, and Lübecker Maschinenfabrik, both large suppliers of Brno and Povazská Bystrica since 1942. So much so, in fact, that Brno and Povazská Bystrica dropped off utilization of triggerguards of their own manufacture. Following the war, the rifles needed triggerguards, and the German supply had obviously ceased - so the plants began production of this one-piece stamped variety to continue production cost effectively. It is generally held that this was not a German innovation, as they do not display Waffenamts, nor is there documentation of German design (blueprints, specifications, etc.) In any event, they do not appear to show up on pre May 1945 German K98k rifles.

These rifles are, however, every bit as functional as wartime K98k's (and in many cases more finely finished), but are not wartime produced German pieces. Some of the more rare and desirable German codes (dou.45, for example) are displayed on these rifles, and are often misrepresented as of German /Czech origin - replete with the addition of bogus German final firing proofs, and the destruction of Czech "Lion" proofs and markings. Notable is the appearance of the "dot 1945" code on some of these rifles - (see the page for specific information regarding that code here).

One of the first major contracts for postwar Czechoslovakian production was the Israeli Defense Force, or "IDF", after it's establishment in 1948. Many of these rifles display IDF markings. (See the "Israeli Rifles" page).

Post subject: Czech K-98s
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hello EdHoffer: I am new here and you will be able to tell. Last year I purchased a Czech K98 (winter trigger guard) from Classic Arms. It is in great shape and the Nazi mark on the top of the receiver has been ground off (very nice job). Would this be a WW II rifle made in Czechoslovakia under German direction? If so, how does it stack up against the made in Germany Mausers? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I'm a bit biased, I have always felt the Czech craftsmanship was superior to the Germans. The reason yours has Nazi marks according to the research I've been able to do, is that these rifles were assembled and fitted from existing war reserves (stock on hand). to me it's the attention to detail that makes it superior, others opinions may vary.

Post subject: For EdHoffer
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:04 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Sir, thanks so much for your answer. You explained more in a sentence than I have been able to learn anywhere else. I couldn't understand how, if this was a post war rifle, Nazi markings (actually one) had to be ground off. Now I do. This is my first K98 and it is in great shape. Even the ground off mark was done so smoothly that, if it was dark, I would never notice. I have seen "real" German K98's, I understand their collector value, but I wanted one that was nice and this one is in fantastic shape. Again thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:41 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Where is the best place to buy Cz winter Mauser? I checked Classic Arms and they don't list them anymore. Thanks for the info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:07 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

They are shown on the SAMCO web site, no whether they have them or not is another question.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:53 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Quote:
Receiver codes from late German production appear on some receivers, some receiver rings are totally blank, as they filtered through the production lines in various states of German and "liberated" Czechoslovakian production. Some receivers were "scrubbed", or divested of their German date and code markings by grinding.
Number wise there were not that many that needed the German code markings ground from the top of the receivers. The rifles we are seeing with ground receivers (like the ones SAMCO is selling now) had the large Rampant Lion on top the reciever ( like on a VZ.24) ground off . Or had the MOD. 98 stamped on top and either dou 45 or dot 45 stamped on the bottom that was ground off. About 5-10 years ago it was not to hard to find a Czech K98 w/winter trigger and an unground reciever. Now collectors seem to be holding on to them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I would like to see a picture of a mauser rifle with the IDF crest that is not or was not made by FN.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:26 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the credit to my website for the quote.

I would be very interested in any info anyone has on these rifles, particularly Czech Army or other government usage. Does anyone have one with any stock markings (non Israeli)?

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Jeff, I have a circle around 13 on one of my stocks and the other just 342 on the stock.
Let me know what you have.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:28 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I have a number 11 on my stock

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

thanks for the great information!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:27 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I was reading through the library (they have a nice place to sit and have coffee along with a library you can read for free) at my local gun store and found an old small arms book from the early 60's. This book talked about these rifles mainly going to Israel and Pakistan. Can anyone confirm if that is true?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:53 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I have a k98k with ce 43 (script ce) on the receiver With a winter trigger guard.The Barrel has a BNZ in a shield with a 1 under the BNZ.It also has the butt plate with a bolt takedown hole in it.Its non matching
The import mark is from Fed Ord.
Is this a Czech post war build?????

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:09 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

these have had two lives, the first life is in their original configuration. After the war they were rebuilt by the Czechs for export primarily. Most of the K98K's were new build from new stock,