http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vz24 lion crest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:19 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hi all looking for your input I found vz 24 with a E4 lion 39 date and rampant lion crest all matching except the bolt which is unmarked don't know much about these so looking for help they are asking 470 don't know if it is worth it. thanks for your help

Post subject: Re: Vz24 lion crest
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:15 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

All depends on condition - also whether there is evidence of Nazi use. Pictures are needed, but that is a high price for an "average" condition vz24

Here is a video on the Czech vz24 you might enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ZU7K1 ... ture=share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:48 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
all matching except the bolt which is unmarked don't know much about these so looking for help they are asking 470 don't know if it is worth it.

A VZ with intact Crest is always top buck-- about $375-400 in WI at gun shows, BUT and this is a big BUT, On mine the serial number is on the stem of the bolt, others have a restamp on the ball. Since the bolt is un numbered, if I was to pay that much I would drop a FIELD 8mm mauser gauge in it and see if it closes down on the bolt. Now if it does not headspace you can get another bolt and try it till you find one that causes the rifle to headspace. :hand: :hand: :think: But each bolt body is a $50-75 dollar proposition. I have found many a Turk, 98/22, and vz 24 that did not headspace. And be sure you use the correct 8mm gauge :lol: =D> see this from one of my old posts:
You will need to headspace it after you get it with an old 20 degree 8mm headspace gauge.
Quote:
I would test it first, but if you fire it, read the brass for backed out or flattened primers, expanded cases. Many a Turk or VZ are out of headspace on a field due to mismatched bolts.
If you buy a Mauser gauge, there are 2: the 20 degree and 19 degree angle gauges. I use the 20 degree on the older Mausers 98/22, Gew 98, VZ 24, Turks ect. I have had some older Mausers fail on 19 degree designed for new 8mm rifles that are ok on the 20 degree. You use the 20 degree FIELD gauge. If it does not close on a field gauge it is good to go. Try it with the bolt/chamber clean. Bolt complete. Slip tool under extractor, If its really bad headspace, the bolt just falls down and closes. Use a light touch no pressure. If marginal, you can strip the bolt and do it right. DO NOT FORCE the bolt down, if the rifle is in specs, the bolt handle will remain raised a little as it comes down on the FIELD gauge, and it will not close down into the normal lock position. I test these at gun shows and they never allow for a stripped bolt. If it fails with a complete bolt on a 20 degree gauge it will fail with the bolt stripped. If marginal then take it home and correctly check it again. Remember a Forster 8mm FIELD gauge is not a military spec gauge and if it fails it still may pass on a true military gauge. But be sure its the old style gauge 20 degree gauge. If it passes on a Forster 20 degree FIELD gauge its good to go.

I would buy a gauge and test it prior to purchase. Otherwise you are stuck with a dog that is an easy fix since the bolt does not really match. Then check the bore condition and the stock for original finish and /or cracks. Does the hand guard match? Is the cleaning rod present and original? Does it have an original sling or repro sling? Was the stock refinished. It best headspace , have a nice bore, and have a cleaning rod and maybe a repro sling???? Are the lock screws present? Does it have the sight hood? The bolt should operate smooth and extract a dummy round.
Here is one I had to have and just fixed. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94787&hilit=+chinese+vz+24

see this old post viewtopic.php?f=19&t=140597&hilit=+chinese+mauser

nice original finish on this one: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=125100&hilit=+czech+mauser

refinished VZ 24 stock see this : viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40557

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:29 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Good advise above...

If you want a nice shooter grade VZ-24...

Aim imported a bunch od Russian captured VZ-24s. I owned one of these and it was a fantastic shooter!!! However, the markings were ground off, electo-penciled and re blued.... just like some of the refurb k-98s and 91/30 Mosins.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks for your great input I'm going to check a few things out on it check how it cycles a round and I will keep you posted thanks again that lion crest does look very cool

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

SMG, any updates?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Headspace is a nonfactor.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:35 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hi all sorry for the long delay getting back had crazy work issues and wasn't doing much gun stuff but I'm back at it and that rifle is still there but after looking at it I see only the receiver was numbered nothing else he did have another with a partial loin crest that was matching for 375 but once you see a intact crest it's hard to get a partial I'll keep looking Thanks again for all the help

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:09 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

So...This was a Financial Investment??
A Look back in 5 or more Years will reveal that prices will always "catch-up".
Or one can Wait, and Watch...till ya find what you want, at the New Higher Price!!!
Except on that Humped K98K...LOL