http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hello: I am new to forum but in need of some instruction, Mouser vz24 and the bolt will not return enough to allow to safety to engage. it falls between 1/16 to 1/8 short of allowing engagement. I have research and have found safety that themselves need work but nothing on the bolt not returning enough, but I could have missed it.
I want thank in advance any help you send my way.
Dennis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:59 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I am not sure what you mean, :think: so be sure the back bolt sleeve/shroud and firing pin assy is screwed in all the way. Also be sure the cocking sleeve/shroud and cocking piece is on the firing pin all the way. The firing pin round back end should be flush or protruding a wee bit when the cocking piece is fitted onto the firing pin.
Bolt assy showing sleeve/shroud & cocking piece see; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmoRDGPddfU

Then if it's assembled correctly, and the safety flag does not engage the 2 upper positions see this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hiv4wX1K4V4

I assume the bolt is able to lock into firing position on the rifle, but the safety does not engage the straight up, or all -the-way-over, lock bolt position???? It sounds like you need to adjust the firing pin safety lever cocking piece engagement cam surface as shown in the video. Check the cocking piece bearing surface for burs or non level surfaces. Also check the little safety lever for damaged or roughness and smooth polish the angled surface if need be. The safety lever may be set too far back due to damaged surfaces on the front end, bearing surface of the lever that fits into the cocking piece, or the outside angled cam surface shown in the video. Sometimes a new safety works better. Replace it or adjust the old one. You may have to file and polish that angled surface on the exterior, back side of the lever. But also check for smooth flat surfaces on the interior surface where the round pin of the safety fits into the bolt sleeve. Look at both surfaces for roughness. Also be sure the two surfaces that make contact when the lever pin is set in the cocking piece is flat , no burs, and polished.

Also realize most VZ 24 Mausers are old beaters that need tender loving care. This one needed headspace and shows bolt photos:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94787&hilit=+chinese+vz+24

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

You are right the safety will not engage and the notch it should engage in is still in the bolt 1/16 or so. the shroud needs to come back that much more. I have two vz24's and have not had this problem before. on inspection all parts are in good shape. Where must I make the adjustments ? I do have a new cocking piece safety and trigger on there way but not confident this will resolve issue.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:12 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Two ways to possibly fix it . On one of my mausers, I replaced the cocking piece with another and it fit better and allowed the safety lever to function without filing the safety ramp. On another, it was an easy fix to narrow the ramp like the video shows. You can see at the end of the video how much he removed from the safety ramp. The cocking piece is the round part with square lugs on the bottom that slide onto the firing pin. Your replacement safety lever may also be thiner and work better that the one you have. Heck, you can try a fit with the cocking piece from the other VZ 24 rifles. Those bolts were hand fitted so the safety functions. Just like bolt bodies--they look the same but interchange them and some headspace others do not.
You really do not need the safety to work for the rifle to function. I never use them. At the range I close the bolt and chamber a round and fire, When on the table the bolt is always open with a flag in it to indicate an open chamber-- a must on the line at matches if people are going down range . You never have a round in a chamber and a rifle on safe. THE BOLT MUST BE IN AN OPEN POSITION> Range officer must see bolt open and a chamber flag at all matches and most ranges.

My plan of action is try a different cocking piece. Next file and polish the ramp as shown in that video. All hand fitted parts vary in tolerances a wee bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the help really, I will wait until the new parts arrive , also ordered the Mouser receiver manual can not remember the writer but they do say he is the man when comes to the Mouser.Might as well understand completely.
Here in Utah we have free open ranges without a range boss or you go to the mountains and pick and shoot and both of my vz24 action have been used to make 6.5 x284's can not go without a safety Elk hunting the mountains cause slips and falls. Two year ago I took a cow elk at between 750 and 850 yards love the actions and the caliber.
Again thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:24 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

The best book on Mauser fix it is: The Mauser M91 through M98 Bolt Actions; A shop Manual, by Jerry Kuhnhausen, PB. 1991 Heritage-VSP press

An interesting book on disassembly of 48 different popular Military rifles with special sections on the bolts is: Mowbray & Puleo , A Collectors Guide to Military Rifle Disassembly and Reassembly , 2007 PB by Mowbray publishing.

Walking the ridges and forest hunting the safety must work.