http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:54 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased this rifle for around $250. The bore looks brand new and the rifle is generally in good shape. However I tried to do some research about the rifle and I can't figure out exactly what I have. I was told the rifle is a Czech VZ24 but the ones I've seen have straight bolt handles where as mine is a bent bolt. The receiver has no markings on it except the serial number and the Czech BRNO stamps but no model. The top of the receiver where the crest should be appears to look original and un grounded like some of the other rifles I've seen. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.86 MiB | Viewed 2935 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 2935 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.16 MiB | Viewed 2935 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.08 MiB | Viewed 2935 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:20 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I am guessing the bolt number does not match the receiver number.

CDFingers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:23 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

No the serial number doesn't match the bolt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:25 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Ah, right. It's VZ24 with a bent bolt. They came with straight bolts. It will still shoot fine.

CDFingers

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:16 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Be sure it's not the Brazilian 7mm. :thumb: They were produecd with turn down bolts and grasping grooves. Very nice looking rifle in any case. You may find you prefer the turned down bolt. =D>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:21 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Its definitely a vz24 imo but most likely has a 98k bolt for replacement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by aadams22 on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Looks nice, K98 bolt and sight. If you could pull it out of the wood for more pics.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:04 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Sorry about the delay its been a busy week for me. I'm pretty sure (99.9%) the rifle is chambered in 8mm, I have a Brazilian model 1894 Mauser chambered in 7mm Mauser and just by looking at the barrels there's a noticeable difference plus when I dropped a 7mm in the muzzle it bottomed out on the case neck where as the 8mm was a snug fit.

One thing that I don't quite understand is all of the vz24 I've personally seen all have the vz24 model stamped on the side of the receiver and mine doesn't, would that be typical for a later model vz24 or is mine just an oddball rifle?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:12 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

The front sight isn't right for a VZ-24. It looks more like a K98k or spanish M43 sight. The receiver was definitely made at the BRNO factory and my guess is that what you have is a transitional mix-master that was produced either early in the German occupation of Czechoslovakia or after the war was over. Either way, it should shoot well. I don't know when the text "ČESKOSLOVENSKÁ ZBROJOVKA, A.S., BRNO" without the VZ.24 was removed from the receivers after occupation, but I believe it was at some point. The text was restored after the war and more K98k rifles were produced by the Czechs for another 5 years or so. It also looks like the rear sight is possibly a K98k or Spanish sight. It looks like it has the lock-release button only on one side and some other distinguishing features. (large scar under the left eye, tattoo of a dragon on the right bicep. :) )

It could even just be a VZ-24 with a K98k barrel and bolt.

All in all, it's time to go shoot it and see how it does, but you probably want to have the headspace checked before that. :)

Matt

ETA:

The discolored ring at the front of the receiver that looks to be a slightly smaller diameter than the rest of the receiver ring or has a groove around it is also indicative of German rifles.

1903 RIA sporter
E4-Lion-39 VZ-24
1952 Hun M44
to be continued...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:10 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks I really appreciate it. When I get some time tomorrow I'll get some better pictures of the rifle and pull the wood off to see if there's any other markings. I checked the headspace on the rifle earlier tonight and it headspaces perfectly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Way late for this party, Brazil and 7mm wasn't the only contract for bent bolts, of course all the above speculations could be true but in one of my Cz source bolt (out of print for years) there were a few SA contracts for bent bolts, not always in massive quantity.

My best quess would be the 98k bolt replacement because of the sharp edges at the receiver end. Memory (not the best) recall the Czechs were more smooth vs sharp in they machining process.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I appreciate this thread. I also have a k98. Had a smith look at it. With certain things he noticed about it, and being a history and gun knowledge buff, he determined it was a k98, reworked in a Czech armory during occupation then used by the SS Waffen in Western Europe. Mine is in 8mm, new to me, and can't wait to shoot it. Just gotta order up some ammo.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk