http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:46 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Been wanting a nice, non-altered Mauser in my collection. Found this clean and crisp VZ24 in a local pawn shop, came as pictured with am un-altered "circle Z" bayonet, gave $250ish. Passes bullet test, lans/groves crisp and bright. Bolt doesn't match number wise but receiver, barrel and stock do. No Waffen marks under wood. little miniature lion (I think) on receiver and barrel. No rust or pitting.

What can you share about the sampings? Examples of proper sling, LBE accesories to go with it?

Last edited by ID_shooting on Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:10 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Not many of these around in as nice a condition as yours. Great find. =D>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Here is a link to the old slings:
http://www.rollanet.org/~stacyw/czech_s ... erview.htm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Nice, as much as I like the vz24s I'm surprised I've never owned one

The bayonet is $60 by itself, so you stole that rifle for less than 200 imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Here's another VZ sling that Numrich was selling a while back., As you can see, it has a buckle sewn on one end, a leather slider, and a round steel button on the other end.,

Attachments:
VZ24 Sling.jpg
VZ24 Sling.jpg [ 5.34 KiB | Viewed 2951 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:30 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Looks great, headspace and the bore sounds good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:04 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Best I can tell, the "E lion 29" means it was accepted into service in 1929? The hash mark through it was put on when it was retired?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:04 am 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Very nice!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:12 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Very nice rifle at a great price

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:13 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I would test it first, but if you fire it, read the brass for backed out or flattened primers, expanded cases. Many a Turk or VZ are out of headspace on a field due to mismatched bolts.
If you buy a Mauser gauge, there are 2: the 20 degree and 19 degree angle gauges. I use the 20 degree on the older Mausers 98/22, Gew 98, VZ 24, Turks ect. I have had some older Mausers fail on 19 degree designed for new 8mm rifles that are ok on the 20 degree. You use the 20 degree FIELD gauge. If it does not close on a field gauge it is good to go. Try it with the bolt/chamber clean. Bolt complete. Slip tool under extractor, If its really bad headspace, the bolt just falls down and closes. Use a light touch no pressure. If marginal, you can strip the bolt and do it right. DO NOT FORCE the bolt down, if the rifle is in specs, the bolt handle will remain raised a little as it comes down on the FIELD gauge, and it will not close down into the normal lock position. I test these at gun shows and they never allow for a stripped bolt. If it fails with a complete bolt on a 20 degree gauge it will fail with the bolt stripped. If marginal then take it home and correctly check it again. Remember a Forster 8mm FIELD gauge is not a military spec gauge and if it fails it still may pass on a true military gauge. But be sure its the old style gauge 20 degree gauge. If it passes on a Forster 20 degree FIELD gauge its good to go.
Quote:

That is a steal considering it has the crest and bayonet- in WI more like $400 at shows. Here is a story on a vz I had to have that did not headspace due to mixed bolts:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94787&hilit=+chinese+vz+24

A correct intact vz 24 sling goes $60-100. see this link as already shown above: best

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

72 usmc wrote:
I would test it first, but if you fire it, read the brass for backed out or flattened primers, expanded cases. Many a Turk or VZ are out of headspace on a field due to mismatched bolts.
If you buy a Mauser gauge, there are 2: the 20 degree and 19 degree angle gauges. I use the 20 degree on the older Mausers 98/22, Gew 98, VZ 24, Turks ect. I have had some older Mausers fail on 19 degree designed for new 8mm rifles that are ok on the 20 degree. You use the 20 degree FIELD gauge. If it does not close on a field gauge it is good to go. Try it with the bolt/chamber clean. Bolt complete. Slip tool under extractor, If its really bad headspace, the bolt just falls down and closes. Use a light touch no pressure. If marginal, you can strip the bolt and do it right. DO NOT FORCE the bolt down, if the rifle is in specs, the bolt handle will remain raised a little as it comes down on the FIELD gauge, and it will not close down into the normal lock position. I test these at gun shows and they never allow for a stripped bolt. If it fails with a complete bolt on a 20 degree gauge it will fail with the bolt stripped. If marginal then take it home and correctly check it again. Remember a Forster 8mm FIELD gauge is not a military spec gauge and if it fails it still may pass on a true military gauge. But be sure its the old style gauge 20 degree gauge. If it passes on a Forster 20 degree FIELD gauge its good to go.
Quote:

That is a steal considering it has the crest and bayonet- in WI more like $400 at shows. Here is a story on a vz I had to have that did not headspace due to mixed bolts:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94787&hilit=+chinese+vz+24

A correct intact vz 24 sling goes $60-100. see this link as already shown above: best

Glad you are still enjoying the VZ-24 ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:14 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

:thumb: Yes, that is one of my treasures and it actually shoots pretty good. Many thanks for that VZ. :dance: I hope all went well on the move.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Because of the strike out on the military acceptance mark, this rifle had two possible fates:

1: Pulled off of line for a private contract

2: Found/obtained from battlefied, refurbished and resold on private contract.

Of course, it could also be a "mistake" and if provable would increase value immensely such as a mistake on a dollar bill.