http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Century U-Fix-Em's
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:27 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Matt,

They look pretty good, besides the exploded barrel. Loving the lion crest! Been so long since I've been on here I forgot how cool it is when they come to the front door looking like that.

Tom

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hours - his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear - is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."-Vince Lombardi

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:11 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

waffenamt wrote:
paintmanmatt wrote:
I'm debating on what to do with the busted barrel. The bore before the split looks decent. Maybe cut the front inch off, re-crown and put a new sight base on...........or, since they are a few missing parts - combined. Maybe use it as a donor piece, then sell what's left as a project for someone else. I have seen the 308 barrels on GB for $100, but then you're looking at money into a gun with pitted metal.....then again, I do have grinders, blast cabinet, & park tanks. The options are limitless.
All and all, I am happy to add these to my Czech collection. Finally have an intact Rampant Lion Crest!

Matt

Why not leave the split alone and counterbore it to before the split?

Regards,
Bill

I'm guessing the split is from grenade launching. Probably more unseen stress damage in the area. Check for a wear ring inside the muzzle about 2 to 5 inches down. Not sure a counterbore would make it any safer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Those look rough but i'm sure they'll clean up. I see you got two czech VZ-24's. Congrats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:59 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Red84GT wrote:
Those look rough but i'm sure they'll clean up. I see you got two czech VZ-24's. Congrats

Yeah, 2 of the 3 should clean up nicely and be decent shooters. Still don't know what to do with the split bbl. Christmas, reloading, and an AR kind of got in the way. Still haven't done much to them yet. Maybe when things settle down, I'll get one together and see how it does.

btw...they are all 3 k98k's. The 2 just have the Rampant Lion Crest.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Century has got them on their site now. They are $149.00. I don't mind a project now and then but, that seems a little high considering the condition. If they could be repaired/refinished cheaply.................

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

R.L.E.V.M. wrote:
Not too bad. :thumb: Below wood line condition of receiver and barrel is better then I would expect. Many fascinating features. I like the three different bolt handle styles. Interesting mix of milled and stamped parts. :think: Please keep us advised about how the bores look ,after cleaning. What is you plan for the damaged barrel?

I wonder if you could rebarrel one of these rifles with a new 308 Win barrel (mil. contour) and assemble a shooter???
You have three rifles?? Make one from parts and new barrel??? PM 303 He has done a few nice mauser restorations :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

SURPLUSBOY wrote:
Century has got them on their site now. They are $149.00. I don't mind a project now and then but, that seems a little high considering the condition. If they could be repaired/refinished cheaply.................

True on one hand.........I definitely would not recommend ordering just one. When you factor in buying the (3), two will be pretty easy clean-up jobs, the bores look like they'll make good shooters and only the one had the cracked up stock. Then considering the two good ones have intact Rampant Lions and no additional parts to buy in order to function or be safe......I get two decent Israeli Mausers for $230 each, with a parts gun for future projects or to turn into a sporter. If you're the type to tear it down to sell the parts, how much are complete bolts going for nowadays? I agree it's not the best deal in town, but if fixin up the oldie's is your hobby......I'm happy and would take the chance again.
I tend to see things as diamonds in the rough and I enjoy trying to bring them back to life.

ps....it may be the best deal in town. Try to find an Israeli Mauser for sale right now.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

BigMau wrote:
R.L.E.V.M. wrote:
Not too bad. :thumb: Below wood line condition of receiver and barrel is better then I would expect. Many fascinating features. I like the three different bolt handle styles. Interesting mix of milled and stamped parts. :think: Please keep us advised about how the bores look ,after cleaning. What is you plan for the damaged barrel?

I wonder if you could rebarrel one of these rifles with a new 308 Win barrel (mil. contour) and assemble a shooter???
You have three rifles?? Make one from parts and new barrel??? PM 303 He has done a few nice mauser restorations :thumb:

Yeah, put the split barrel on the back burner for the time being. There were some Norwegian 308 barrels on GB not long ago, so definitely doable to swap barrels. Since they've been re-finished who knows how many times, it looks possible to buff most of the pitts out and re-finish again. I've repaired stocks worse than that one and I probably have the handguard & other small parts in the bin. Too many options. Comes down to just how bad it is after clean-up and how much I want to put in to it.............although, I haven't done a barrel change on one of these myself yet............. :shifty:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:26 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I love the rough stuff!!!! It has the been there done that look to it (I'd clean it up other than the stock), but the more banged up the better (except when it comes to my Arisaka's, for some reason I can't buy a rough one).

Check out my Iraqi militaria forum at
http://z8.invisionfree.com/Iraq_militaria_forum/index.php?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

mine is DOU 45. it was missing upper hand guard, rear barrel band and safety flag. I bought missing stuff on ebay. I then took it to Los Angeles,ca and a member of calguns.net parkerized all metal for $50.
it is really nice with new Parkerizing and stock cleaned . none of my Czech BRNO was blued, it was parkerized originally.
it has a 6 pointed star next to the large 2 in 7.62 on receiver. it also has 2 eagles with swastika on right side of receiver.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:09 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

paintmanmatt wrote:
BigMau wrote:
R.L.E.V.M. wrote:

Yeah, put the split barrel on the back burner for the time being. There were some Norwegian 308 barrels on GB not long ago, so definitely doable to swap barrels. Since they've been re-finished who knows how many times, it looks possible to buff most of the pitts out and re-finish again. I've repaired stocks worse than that one and I probably have the handguard & other small parts in the bin. Too many options. Comes down to just how bad it is after clean-up and how much I want to put in to it.............although, I haven't done a barrel change on one of these myself yet............. :shifty:

paintmanmatt,

Did you ever get those 2 or 3 U-Fix-em's shooting?

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Good timing you have there. lol As a matter of fact, I just finished up a basic phase on the worst one (split barrel). I tore it down, cleaned it up, had to do a little light stock repair. Turns out, after I scrubbed the bore, that it was already counter-bored past the split at the muzzle. The bore is pretty worn, but still showing some rifling. It was lacking action screws (which I have spares). I cleaned it well, put a couple coats of BLO on the stock after cleaning/sweating/repair, triple checked the counter-bore vs split. I plan on test firing it this Saturday.
I'll get some better pics and upload to photobucket later this week. I'll give a range report later in the weekend. Hopefully, all will go well.
I have not touched the other (2) since I have others that are cleaned and operational. All I'll have to do to them is scrub, maybe a hairline crack on one of the stocks, and replace a missing handguard and maybe a screw or two.

Matt

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Here are a few "in progress" shots, basically showing the stock damage.

Attachments:
5.23.2014_001.JPG
5.23.2014_001.JPG [ 240.12 KiB | Viewed 3293 times ]
5.23.2014_005.JPG
5.23.2014_005.JPG [ 238.32 KiB | Viewed 3293 times ]
5.23.2014_004.JPG
5.23.2014_004.JPG [ 231.16 KiB | Viewed 3293 times ]
12.05.13_014.JPG
12.05.13_014.JPG [ 243.4 KiB | Viewed 3293 times ]
12.05.13_006.JPG
12.05.13_006.JPG [ 230.08 KiB | Viewed 3293 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:54 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

paintmanmatt wrote:
Good timing you have there. lol As a matter of fact, I just finished up a basic phase on the worst one (split barrel). I tore it down, cleaned it up, had to do a little light stock repair. Turns out, after I scrubbed the bore, that it was already counter-bored past the split at the muzzle. The bore is pretty worn, but still showing some rifling. It was lacking action screws (which I have spares). I cleaned it well, put a couple coats of BLO on the stock after cleaning/sweating/repair, triple checked the counter-bore vs split. I plan on test firing it this Saturday.
I'll get some better pics and upload to photobucket later this week. I'll give a range report later in the weekend. Hopefully, all will go well.
I have not touched the other (2) since I have others that are cleaned and operational. All I'll have to do to them is scrub, maybe a hairline crack on one of the stocks, and replace a missing handguard and maybe a screw or two.

Matt

I picked up a No4 Mk1 Enfield a few years ago with a barrel bulge a few inches from the muzzle. Intended to use as a parts gun, but cut the barrel to about 20 inches and shot it, turned out it was an excellent shooter, kind of a pseudo Jungle Carbine.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:56 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Looking good!

I see you had a bottle of Wood glue. You may want to look into Acraglas from Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools ... d1033.aspx

Candyman steered me to it and I have been very happy with it. It will hold even if oil and such is in the wood or gets into the wood. Check out some of Candyman's stock repair links.

Kevin