Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

M59 Mosin~Nagant

1891, 91/30, M38, M44, 91/59, P-series, M27, M28, M28-30 and M39
nothernug
United States of America

M59 Mosin~Nagant

#1 Post by nothernug » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:15 pm

Looks like we need something new on board for 2020. I actually got this last year but have not posted it hear so here goes...
I've long wanted one of these little beasties. I went to a gun show here in East Texas and as part of my wheeling and dealing I had a Yugoslav 24-47 Mauser I was hoping to sell to help pay for a gun for my son's birthday. Nobody was wanting to give me what I wanted for cash though. But when the dealing was done and I'd got what I wanted for my son, I still had the 24/47 and I recalled one dealer in particular had a considerable number of Mosins so I went to check him out. There sat this M59. There were only 2 others in the hall and both were well over $300. This one was priced at $300 even. After looking it over carefully, I offered him a 1 for 1 trade, an even swap, and... drum roll PLEASE!
He took it!
Now of course, strictly speaking, an M59 isn't technically a "military" arm. It was created specifically to sell as a "sporting arm." As such, it will not accept any bayonets. I recall reading a while back that the M59 had a heavier barrel resulting from their being cut down M91/30s. As such it tended to be a little more accurate and better handling than the other short Mosin carbines. I cannot speak to that not having any of those others but, it isn't horrible with issue ammo. I also got a supply of Czech 7.62x54r training ammo and while that isn't all that accurate, it's a real pleasure to shoot!

The condition as you can see is for all practical purposes new. As far as I can tell, it's been unfired since proofing. Now, most people think I'm 'batty' when I say that but, just look at that bore photo. Rough as a cob but that's just tooling marks, typical of late Soviet machine tooling (speaking as a retired machinist myself).

Anyway, here you go. As something I've long wanted and been looking for and now having got for an even swap, I'm thrilled with it! :dance: :banana-dance:
91-59 01.jpg

91-59 07.jpg

MN91-59 ID photo page.jpg
91-59 014.jpg
Czech training ammo 01.jpg
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: M59 Mosin~Nagant

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:59 pm

The barrel looks like new, just like my 1948 Russian M44 & my 1952 Polish M44. It should be dead on. What and where is the import mark on that beauty?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

nothernug
United States of America

#3 Post by nothernug » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:01 am

Thanks for the kudos. The import stamp is C.A.I. ST. ALB VT. It's small and daintily applied on the lower right side of the muzzle end of the barrel. If the info I looked up about CAI's change in locations and the change in stamp styles and locations are correct, they suggest this was imported prior to the year 2,000. That being the case, it must have sat unfired in somebody's collection for several years before being picked up by that seller. Or maybe, the seller was the original collector/owner. I don't recall now if I asked or was told. He wasn't a formal dealer. He just took my 24/47 and handed me this, we shook hands, said a few pleasantries and I went along my way. There was no paperwork passed on it so it was a private transaction. (We can still do that here in Texas.) :banana-linedance:
P1130434.JPG
An odd mark under the wood line I need to look up.
P1130441.JPG
Strange; We are asked not to judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics but, we are encouraged to judge all GUN OWNERS by the actions of a few lunatics. :think:

Polock
United States of America

#4 Post by Polock » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:08 pm

I learned something today---did not know M59s were intended to be sold as sporters! Always thought they were cut down to be used by police, militia, etc.

OT---In a precious life, I lived in Longview (go Rangerettes)! Are u old enough to remember Tony's H&T Sporting Goods?? Bought many a cool gun there--great prices, even back in the day.
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:23 pm

To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

nothernug
United States of America

#6 Post by nothernug » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:33 am

I learned something today---did not know M59s were intended to be sold as sporters!
Yeap. Zastava in Serbia used up left over parts from their military Mauser programs (primarily the 24/47 and M48 series), i/e, the rifle marketed as the "Tanker" by Mitchell's Mausers. It was marketed by Zastava as the M48/63. They did that so they could sell their rifles to people restricted from owning "military weapons." Same thing for exporting to countries restricting the importation of "military weapons."

Concerning "Tony's sporting Goods,";
I am probably "old enough" to remember it (64 yrs. old) but, I have only lived in the Longview area since about 1998. If it was there then, I do not recall it. Regrettably, I have seen a number of sporting goods/gun stores close here. Mostly pawnshops are the places to buy guns other than the current crop of commercial arms. However, our Academy Sporting Goods isn't apologizing one bit for their gun sales and are going strong. Same goes for the Attwoods country living stores. (Not affiliated with or profiting anything by mentioning them.)

Return to “Russian and Finnish Rifles”