http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Long range& old guns
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Hello, this is my first post here (but I have been reading you for a long time)
I want to share what I think is the heaven for us milsurp enthusiasts, long range and old gun, the shooting is @800m
They are my first videos so don't be to hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xdslw0I7U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5wJGXKz4yA

Post subject: Re: Long range& old guns
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:57 pm 

Many years ago my friends and I started to shoot MILSURP rifles at long range. We found it so much fun that I approached the City Range and proposed a club solely dedicated to shooting long distance. Moneys were used to upgrade the range we use and firing points from 200 meters to 1,000 meters were set up.
The club is now in it's 15 year and we really enjoy shooting 800 meters. Most shoot open sights only. I do allow issue scopes if they are original or clones there of.
Good shooting at your range. Looks like you had fun.
Of all the shooting I have done in the last 55 years,shooting long distance is the most fun and rewarding.
Welcome to SRF. I've been to Italy several times. Always had a good time.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:51 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

In Italy we have just a handful of ranges where it is possible to shoot over 500m, is not easy if you want to practice and you have to drive a lot, probably things are a lot easier in USA.
From the video, it may seems that the Carl Gustaf is a lot more precise than the Mosin, I think it's a coincidence that the results are so
favorable to the M41B, because, normally the Mosin gives better performances than those shown.
By the way, is there any owner of a M41B that found a cure to the vertical migration as the barrel warms up? It is driving me crazy to find a solution that is also historically correct

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have tried shimming with cork, but while it has eliminated the tendency to go to the right as the barrel warms up, it doesn't seem to have reduced the vertical migration

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:52 pm 

Vertical "stringing" of the shots is the lack of dampening of the barrel nodes,or the restriction of the barrel nodes of the barrel in the stock when fired.
Try:
Loosening the action screws- take five shots
Tightening the action screws- take five shots
This will show you if you are in the right neighborhood to correct the problem.
If you find either has corrected the problem,then it is either add shims in the action or remove wood touching the action/barrel.

If neither works, fold a Lira note in half and slide it under the barrel. Start just in front of the breech. Fire at least three shots. If no improvement,move the note towards the muzzle by two inches. Do this until you are at the muzzle. You should find a "Sweet Spot" where the rifle starts to shoot much better.
If you find this spot,this is where a shim is needed to be added.

To prove it is BARREL HEAT-wait one full minute or more between shots. If no stringing, it is barrel wrapping due to heat.

Hope this helps,I've been where you are with your rifles many,many times.