http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Good evening everybody,

As the title suggests, I am the proud new owner of a 1940 Tula SVT 40. So new, in fact, that I've not even held said rifle as it has not arrived to my FFL as of yet. I am trying to "get the ball rolling" ordering a few pieces for this rifle before it arrives to have them on hand, or close, for when it does. I've already E-mailed Bill over at PPSH41 about the stainless gas piston/cup set and recoil springs he offers, and am awaiting his response on that... However, what I am really having fun trying to source is an original sling and cleaning kit. I realize that the original slings are scarce, but between all of the reproductions and PPSH slings advertised for the SVT, I'm having a heck of a time finding anything, even with pictures of the correct slings to compare to the ones I'm seeing. There was a leather sling recently offered on Ebay I was considering, but it was in pretty rough shape for one, and two, its ends seemed to be somewhat "leaf" shaped, and I'd read that they should be more of a "spear" shape, and overall was unsure if it was or was not authentic, so I let that one go. I would've liked a leather sling because from what I understand, they belonged to the earlier rifles, but I'm not totally opposed to using an original canvas sling. With that being said, I did come across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Red-Army-Co ... SwmLlX-e0U

So, can anybody possibly identify whether or not the sling above is original, or maybe point me to one that is? Also, like previously mentioned, I'm looking for an original tool kit as well. If you guys know where I can find one, that'd be great! Even if it's Ebay, I don't mind. I'm just having trouble separating the real from what I believe are most likely fakes or simply incorrect for the rifle.

Thank you everybody!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:20 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Some of our Canadian members might have some SVT goodies :think: :think: They got nice cheap SVT rifles and we got Justin Beber #-o :hand: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

BigMau wrote:
Some of our Canadian members might have some SVT goodies :think: :think: They got nice cheap SVT rifles and we got Justin Beber #-o :hand: :cry: :cry:

Don't even get me started on that.. I have to share the same first name as him unfortunately. :(

At least we get the 10 round mags... :dance:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:58 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

You won't find original SVT sling, forget about it. Leather sling you wanted to buy was Bulgarian post-war. If you want "correct" sling (note "correct", not "original") then go for war-time slings: MN sling, or universal sling, or ersatz sling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I found this sling 15 years ago in one old military warehouse with old Yugoslav stuff. Material is strong khaki canvas. I'm not an SVT expert but I have measured the dimensions of sling swivel, compare the length that I got in that source, color and shape. I vote for SVT, photos shows SVT38 and not SVT40.
I just guess at what is written and what I do. Excellent would be if you had some original Soviet SVT military manual.
The sling fits perfectly my SVT-40.
Vic Thomas, author of the SVT section in Mosin Nagant.net wrote this:
....Later on a canvas and leather sling was issued with the body of the sling being canvas. One end utilized the strap and buckle type arrangement while the rear used a leather end retained by a brass keeper or sling button. The early model 40 sling was initially leather but much shorter as the front sling swivel was moved considerably back toward the butt. Later canvas issued slings of a course weave and colored either khaki green, white or tan as well as navy issued grey/blue were used and identical to the leather sling in configuration and length except the attachment points were leather and the body of the sling canvas. The length of a SVT-38 sling is 54 inches with the body of the sling measuring 36 inches by 1.25 inches wide. The SVT-40 sling is also 54 inches tip of strap to tip and is found in a tight weave canvas at 1.25 inches wide a looser weave type a little wider at 1.5 inches. The differences between the two is the body of the SVT-40 sling is only 29 inches long, a full seven inches shorter than the 38's. These are just guidelines as I encountered subtle difference in measurement amongst the six slings used for the measurements. The retaining loops on some later SVT-40 slings may be omitted. Some early war expediency slings use a leather thong to tie the straps rather than a buckle.....

The photo I took from that source, Vic,s Thomas book.

Attachments:
SVT40sling.jpg
SVT40sling.jpg [ 70.19 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]
SVT38fullright.jpg
SVT38fullright.jpg [ 9.32 KiB | Viewed 209 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:19 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Vic's site is currently outdated, major overhaul is planned for summer. Sling in your pic is not SVT either.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

It is not my photo with SVT -38 mounted sling.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the responses guys!

Horiika, may I ask why it is one could not find an original sling? I may be mistaken, but I thought I've seen some other people's rifles sporting original slings when I visited other forums, searched Google images, etc.

I would agree with you on using the Mosin Nagant sling, but my rifle does not have the Navy style stock with the eyelet, and it seems that'd be kind of weird to use the dog collars of the MN sling on a couple of swivels. Is that what they did during the war?

As far as the other two slings you mentioned, what do you mean by a "univeral" sling? I also searched for an "ersatz" sling, and it produced quite a few results, but I think I may have found what you are referring to?

One of these?

My apologies for all of the questions. Learning as I go. :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:25 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

If you look at the Finnish archives pictures or Soviet period pictures you most likely will see anything but original sling on SVT-40. With regular swivels or with slots that call "naval" (they have nothing to do with naval). Original SVT slings are extremely scarce and I saw just two or three of them in collections .

If you want to learn about SVT I would recommend to start with this (though no sling section yet) - http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread. ... ng-and-FAQ

Erzatz slings:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:39 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thank you for all your help, Horilka! You're a godsend!