Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Persian Model 30

DWM
United States of America

Persian Model 30

#1 Post by DWM » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi all, I posted this a couple of weeks before the old forum went down, so I thought that I'd put it back up. I spotted this one at the local gun show and the price was right. It has been carried a lot and hardly shot, the finish is very thin but no rust. I'm still on the quest for a 98/29 that I can buy for a good price, but until then this will check the Persia box.

Formerly shotgunjoel on the old SRF

steamer
United States of America

Re: Persian Model 30

#2 Post by steamer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:36 pm

Yes, those are nice rifles. I'd like to find a plain old BRNO 98/29 to add to my collection.

Calfed
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Calfed » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Not bad, DWM. Have you shot it much?

I've got a lightly sported Model 49. It is in great shape, but some sap filled in the stock sling cutout. :(

Have a passel of 98/29's also.

checkmate19
United States of America

#4 Post by checkmate19 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:39 pm

Your pictures are very clear and the crest stands out. After seeing your crest I had to look at one of my rifles and realize its a lion LOL. My crest in not so clear. Thanks for posting pics, I need to start learning a little about thee rifles and thats why I am here . Thanks

mauserdad
United States of America

#5 Post by mauserdad » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:10 pm

I shot mine a few years back. Had a flame about 8" long come out of the end of the barrel.
John 3:16 & 17 KJAV
NRA Life Member

EdHoffer
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by EdHoffer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:58 pm

If you are still about, and still have the pictures a reload to the forum would be nice.

DB404
United States of America

#7 Post by DB404 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:08 pm

I know this is a pretty old post, but I thought the following might be of interest. Back in the late 1990s I was offshore for a bit and got to know a couple of ex-pat Iranians, who had been officers in the Shah's army. Upon learning that I had a Model 30, the gentleman who had been a captain in an artillery outfit got excited and wanted to buy it from me sight unseen. He said that the Brno Kooteh (short Brno) have a very big folk presence, sort of like we have in the US with leverguns, and that they were even mentioned in some popular songs (IIRC, the one he sang translated as something like "I've been drinking and I have my short Brno...". Must be like country-western.) He went on to say that the carbines had been used primarily by artillery units, engineer units and some cavalry units. He added that at the time he left Iran, the carbines were still in use with border guards, in some areas.
All the best - Dave

capt14k
United States of America

#8 Post by capt14k » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:36 am

Persian Mausers Can be a confusing due to all the models and inaccuracies about the markings. There are both Czech Made and Iranian Made Rifles of the same models that are nearly identical, because Iran made them on Czech Machinery. All rifles are in 8x57mm aka 8mm Mauser as far as I know.

This is what I have come up with as a list of models.

Czech 98/29 Long Rifle marked in Farsi 1309 180,000 made
Czech 98/29 Musketoon marked in Farsi 1309 30,000 made 
Czech vz24 marked in Farsi 1312 same design as Czech vz24 
Czech M30 Carbine marked in Farsi 1317, 38" Long, Large Side Ring
Iranian 98/29 marked 1309 in Farsi same as Czech Made 98/29
Iranian vz24 marked in Farsi 1312 same as Czech vz24
Iranian M38 Carbine also marked in Farsi 1317 same as Czech M30
Iranian Made M49 marked in Farsi 1328 Carbine. Has sling cut out and plate on buttstock.
FN made Model 1924 Persian Short Rifle same as other FN24 but all markings in Farsi except manufacture. Only 500 made.

There also exists a M1895 Persian and Iranian Made 98/22 but they are very rare.

To tell the difference between Czech Made vs Iranian Made other than learning Farsi look for inspection Marks. Circle Z is Czech Made. Crescent in Circle is Iranian made. Also Iranian will have Farsi and Arabic numerals on rear sight. Czech will have just Farsi. Finally Iranian has what is called the Cowardly Lion Crest. 

Rifles with a regular number on buttstock were in British service in Iran and Pakistan.

Serial Number Locations Persian Mauser M1309

1.) Complete Farsi serial no. - Receiver, left side
2.) Complete Farsi serial no. - On top of bolt handle
3.) Complete Farsi serial no. - Right side of butt stock
4.) Complete Farsi serial no. - Bayonet, on pommel

If anything is not accurate please correct. I pieced together information from various sources. Much of it from posts by John Wall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Return to “Middle East and North African Rifles”