http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H&R Reising M65
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:31 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Picked up a Reising Model 65 a few minutes ago. A widow was selling it and wanted $180, came with 4 mags and a Weaver Marksman scope on a S3 mount. It's missing half of the rear sight, the base is still there, just missing the upper half. I'll post some pics once I get home. I don't think I did to bad on it.

Post subject: Re: H&R Reising M65
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:53 am 

You did well. 350-450 is common depending how the rifle is marked and when made. CALL Springfield Sporters they may have the sight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

It's a very low 10k serial number.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:06 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

That was a good score with the extra mags. They are hard to find, and expensive when you do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Got some more pics today. This one was factory blued, and the stock hasnt been messed with.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:09 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I have one like it, but Parkerized, with a serial number that puts it in the range for the USMC trainers. The wood on yours looks pretty nice. Mine is much like it, which is odd considering they were utility guns or military trainers. Mine has been a problem child from day one with ejection and cycling issues. It's at the gunsmith now and reports are that it has been healed by a new ejector and hammer spring. I'll post some pics when it gets back. It was, despite it's cycling issues, very accurate.

Save a search for the Lyman sight on eBay if you want to replace it. The sights are available and they pop up now and then.

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:10 pm 

The ones that were used by the Marines were marked USMC and were used in the combat zones. Not to kill Jap's,but to kill rats.
The problem with rodents on the islands were so bad that men were detailed to kill them. They used the semi-auto to great advantage with one problem. The report of the shot alarmed most of the Marines at camp causing uncontrolled return fire.
The Marines ended up placing suppressors on many of the rifles to prevent a camp uproar.
There are unconfirmed reports that these "silenced rifles" were also used to dispatch Jap guards and officers.
I've seen one rifle that was used in the islands and it looked it.
The one's that look to be in VG condition were used to be trainers or just sold to the public.
Mine was a trainer and never left the states.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:46 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Rapidrob...you have any references there regarding the use of the rifle to eliminate rats during WW2?
I have a model 65 ser 443X and never came across that type of info before. Nothing I have read has indicated any other use than training....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:01 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I read a post by Orest on the CMP site a while back on the M65 and later MC58 trainers. As I recall (vague and foggy here, but not necessarily wrong) the first wartime contract to H&R for the M65 was for 6000 rifles in 1943, so anything in that range or below might be a USMC trainer. I say might, because H&R was selling M65 rifles to the public shortly thereafter, and their records on what went where are gone.

I've not yet seen military markings on an M65, even those with very low serial numbers. There was a postwar order for about another 3500 H&R Riesing rifles configured as MC58 in 1959. These were stamped USMC, and had a Garand type safety. There was a batch of them auctioned off by CMP for very stiff prices around 2001 (some sold for over $2000). If you have an MC58 today, you're sitting on a very valuable rifle.

I think the serial number on mine is in the 3500 range, but I'll need to wait a few days until it returns from it's trip to the gun hospital.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:45 pm 

I have three first hand reports from combat vets who used them. SGT Cecil Tranthum, USA , PO1 Delmar Duncan USN 31st CB ,5TH Marine Division and PO1 Walter F. Kramme USN CB ( ran a water distillation machine) All three of these men have told me first hand reports on these rifles and their use in the islands.
These men served providing water,air strips and night time illumination of the enemy. They served in several island invasions and support while securing the islands. I knew Walter all of my life. The other two for more than 22 years and saw them once a week.
There are also articles on the web with stories of these rifles being used.
Walter Kramme was my uncle and he owned one of these rifles for many years. He told me about them in the 70's and I bought mine in the late 70's and still have it.
All three have passed on now. I may write the stories they told me over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:58 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I did a search of [M65 Reising Pacific rats] and expected few if any hits. There is enough info to verify all you have said "rr"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:23 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

It's a pity that we now have sanitary landfills instead of town dumps. I would love a chance to try out my newly discovered rat-rifle. My brother and I spent many a day at the local dump as a kid lowering the rat population with a .22. Ammo was cheap and plentiful, and people were not totally freaked out by the sight of a 13 and 15 yr old walking down Main St in town with rifles.

A very interesting sidelight to the M65 story from Rapid Rob. I was not doubting the veracity, only commenting that I'd never seen military-marked M65s, and that much of what we know about the M65 comes from personal experience and sources that are not verifiable through library or manufacturers records.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

OK , now i need one of these - next quest , congrats

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:01 pm 

M14man,here is the info posted many years ago. More info on the net if you search the older files.
Due to the age of this post I had to separate his photo's into an additional file.
The format of the site where this was posted is not recognized by SRF and has been changed to a word document.
I tried to contact the author for permission to post his old post. I was unable to find an active email address.
************************************************************************************
The original post from 2006.
"1. Pics of the Reising M65 USMC " rat rifle"
When the marines started moving across the pacific , they started to have vermin problems in thier supply dumps. Shooting the creatures with M1s or Tommyguns was not the answer. Not only for the damage , but any marines that had been pulled back from the front lines for a night or two of sleep and hot meals and dry beds would be disturbed. Indeed , a couple of fire fights erupted because of this . Enter the rat rifle

A few M65 .22lr trainers were pulled and sent to the USMC armorers. There they were modified to take Maxim suppressors. These were shipped to the dumps to kill the rats ( ergo , it's nick-name). Some front liners found out about them , and decided it did not matter if the rats were two or four legged . They took some and their ammo on patrols.

I bought this from a gunshow seller for $100. A few asiles later I ran into another seller who asked to see it. He was an ex-marine company scout , and HE CARRIED ONE!!!! Told me what I had , his experiances , everything. I should have written it down , but I didn't know at the time how rare this was. The stock was cracked from trigger cut out to cocking slot ( only the butt and tip was holding it together ) and areas of the stock had a musshy , foam rubber feeling ( jungle rot?). I pick up a replacement stock and I fear I threw the orig. away . I know---I know .

Looked long and hard for an orig. suppressor , could not find one , so I had this modern guts , kindda copy made. Enjoy , Chris

***His photo's********

If any one has any more info on use and/or numbers made , I'd like to know. I'd hate to see these fall into the unknown. They are a part of history. Thanks , Chris
Top PM Register To Reply
2. The Following 6 Members Say Thank You to emmagee1917 For This Useful Post:
A. F Medic, Badger, Fushigi Ojisan, Jeff L, jmoore, Thaine
3. 08-26-2009 02:07 PM # ADS
Highly Recommended
Friends and Sponsors

4. 10-20-2009 07:54 PM #2
JiminLE

Last On
08-03-2011 @ 04:54 PM
Local Date
11-28-2012
Local Time
08:41 PM
My Items for Sale
What's the S/N on this one? I have 2, S/N's 1903 & 9874.

Jim
Jim
Top PM Register To Reply
6. 10-20-2009 09:05 PM #3
emmagee1917

Really Senior Member
Last On
Today @ 03:14 PM
Local Date
11-28-2012
Local Time

My Items for Sale
Cool....
It's 2615. You've got two of these modified rifles? Are all the mods like mine ? Front sight set back and dewinged ? 9/16 sae threads? Any chance you've got the suppressor too ? Do the stocks show sign of heavy use , or stained from fungus , mildew, dampness ? Any " soft spots " in the wood?
Pics , please , lots of pics. Gotta go , talk later.
Chris
Top PM Register To Reply
7. 10-21-2009 04:23 PM #4
rondog

Really Senior Member
Last On
Today @ 09:46 PM
Local Date
11-28-2012
Local Time
11:41 PM
My Items for Sale
I'd say that was a helluva score for $100!
Top PM Register To Reply
8. 10-22-2009 01:32 PM #5
emmagee1917

Really Senior Member
Last On
Local Date
11-28-2012
Local Time

My Items for Sale
What amazes me..
...is the lack of info on these. I've only meet the one marine that carried it , and only 2-3 others that have seen them and knew about them. With us loosing so many of these men every year now , I'd like to gather some history and stories on these before it's gone forever.
Chris

Oh yes , it was a heck of a deal. I was just looking for a .22 plinker , but I did not want a 10-22 , so this , being a semi and WW2 trainer to fit in my WW2 collecting theme , it was a no brainer. Hadn't shot .22 sense I was a kid , was good to get back into it. Was not a trainer collector , but after I bought this , word spread and I now have 10-12 of them. A lot came out of the woodwork when the youth groups stop allowing repeaters , so a lot of old timers that had held onto them for the kids came up and sold them to me cheep. I was not "into" them , but a good deal is a good deal , and I now only lack the Winchester to make a complete WW2 collection of trainers.
Top PM Register To Reply
9. 10-22-2009 08:23 PM #6
JiminLE

Last On
08-03-2011 @ 04:54 PM
Local Date
11-28-2012
Local Time
My Items for Sale
Oops...I only have 2 of the M65's, not modified to the rat spec's you mention. I wanted to know you S/N to see how close it came to either of mine.
Thanks,

Jim
Jim
Top PM Register To Reply
10. 10-23-2009 03:34 AM #7
jmoore

Advisory Panel

Last On
Today @ 06:14 AM
Local Date
11-28-2012
Local Time
10:41 PM
My Items for Sale
BTW, Yankee Hill now makes a Maxim style offset suppressor that really works well. Its aluminum, though, not steel and has a matte finish.
Top PM Register To Reply
11. 08-04-2010 10:04 PM #8
BDMerc1

Last On
09-03-2011 @ 12:04 AM
Local Date
11-28-2012
Local Time
My Items for Sale
Not trying to hijack the thread but since you were talking about the Reising M-65, was curious if you know of a source for original period mags for my WWII M-65? It just doesn't look right with the blued aftermarket mags I bought!

Thanks!
Top PM Register To Reply
12. 08-05-2010 01:58 PM #9
emmagee1917

Really Senior Member
Last On
Local Date
11-28-2012
Local Time

My Items for Sale
I picked up orig. GI type mags from Sarco and from Forrest Company. Sarco is still around , but I don't know if they have any orig.s left. Forrest , come to think of it , I have not seen thier ads in a couple of years now. They may have gone under or sold out to another. Anyone know ? Numrich / Gun parts ,I think , used to have them , too.
Chris

PS , still looking for more info on these " rat rifles". If you know someone who was in the 4th Marines during the fight up the slot ( Rendova , New Georgia , Bougangville ) , please ask them about these. Thanks.
Top PM Register To Reply
13. 08-05-2010 03:46 PM #10
MK111

Last On
09-17-2012 @ 01:37 AM
Local Date
11-28-2012
Local Time
My Items for Sale
Originally Posted by BDMerc1
Not trying to hijack the thread but since you were talking about the Reising M-65, was curious if you know of a source for original period mags for my WWII M-65? It just doesn't look right with the blued aftermarket mags I bought!

Thanks!
Contact clipgrip@aol.com Dave should have them. 269-962-0214
Top PM Register To Reply
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last