http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:33 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I got really board earlier today so I decided to see if there was anything I could do to improve the trigger on my savage .17 MACH2. Well after some fiddling I found a simple trigger modification that takes no machining, a Rotary Tool is the most advanced tool in the process.

It is not required that you remove the trigger group from the action, but it will make things easier. In order to remove the trigger group remove the two screws indicated in the picture.

Next remove the indicated C clips in the picture. And slide out the pins holding in the trigger and sear. Now they will fall out of place.

Use a allen key to remove the spring tention screw.

Here are all of the trigger parts, so if you lose one you will know what the missing piece looks like. at this point you will need a spring the same diameter of the original sear spring only not as strong. cut the new spring to the same length as the original adn set aside untill reassembly.

Next you stone and polish the indicated area of the sear.

Reassemble the sear back into the trigger group with the new spring, dont attach the C clip yet.

Reattach the trigger like you did the sear, leaving out the C clip just a little longer.

Now you reattach the safety spring. once the safety spring is reattached then put the C clips back on the pins.

At this point you can reassemble the sear spring retaining screw, do just like a reloading die, tighten the screw until you feel it make contact with the spring plus 1/2 turn, then tighten up the nut for now.

Now reattach the trigger group to the rest of the gun. at this point you can adjust the the sear screw to your liking, tighten it to increase the trigger pull and make it more snappy. but dont loosen it because you are now at the minimum setting and it will not accomplish anything.

I performed this on my Savage and it has given me a noticible difference in trigger pull and I like it. This technique will work on any simular rimfire rifle. I really hope someone else can use this info. If I could figure out how to dissassemble the bolt I would to stone and polish the contact points inside of it as well.

P.S. Sorry for the fuzzy clips, I really suck at taking pictures.

Somebody holds the key.
But Im near the end and I just aint got the time
And Im wasted and I can't find my way home

~Blind Faith 1969~

Last edited by Phantomrig on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:37 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Actually, this looks like it may be very useful. I have a Mossberg 817 that has a bear for a trigger. I'll have to take it apart and see if "things" are similar. You gave me a place to start anyway - Thanks

Please Visit My Web Page
www.thegunstockdoctor.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:03 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Sounds interesting! There are some pretty good deals on pre-AccuTrigger Savages.

I think your camera may need reading glasses, though. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:13 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

DrThunder88 wrote:
Sounds interesting! There are some pretty good deals on pre-AccuTrigger Savages.

I think your camera may need reading glasses, though. ;)

Yeah, I got this one for 99.00 last year new in the box.

My camera only takes good pics out side, I have never gotten a good pic with it inside.

Somebody holds the key.

~Blind Faith 1969~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:35 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

It may just be that the subject is just a little too close to the lens. The objects in the background look fine and sharp on any of the photos with items in the background.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:47 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I think I just suck at taking pics.

Somebody holds the key.

~Blind Faith 1969~

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:25 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I have done my best to update the pics and make them more clear, I really hope this helps.

Somebody holds the key.

~Blind Faith 1969~

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:25 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Good job! :thumb: Going to try it it on my Savage next time i'm in a tinkery mood. :D

The bolts are not meant to be dissasembled ever unless it needs repair. To dissasemble the bolt you have to unscrew the nut inside the bolt. You can only access this nut by grasping the bolt with 2 hands, and pulling it apart in opposite directions. It's not easy, but can be done. The little spring is a strong one. And is held in place inside the bolt by yet another retainer, a nasty little tiny tiny C clip. Last time I did it was 3 years ago, if I remember correctly it was a PITA to say the least. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Nice post. There is also a shim trick you do on these rifles....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:24 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

.22guy wrote:
Nice post. There is also a shim trick you do on these rifles....

The shim trick is really well documented over on www.rimfirecentral.com in the Savage forum. There's a sticky there titled Savage Trigger Shim.

Comes complete with really good pictures as well.

I've done both the stoning/polishing job and the shims on my Mark II Lakefield in .17Mach2 and took it from a really nasty 8 pounds down to a nice, 2.5 pounds. Tightened my groups up by .1 inch or better at 50 yards. Just doing the shim mod before the polishing took it from 8 pounds down to just over 3 pounds. Heck of an improvement for sure!

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

NRA Life Member - Member Kansas Rifle Association (KSRA) - NRA Certified Pistol instructor, Reloading instructor and Range Safety Officer.