http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:24 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Tunnimaster wrote:
T,

Nice rig :thumb: How do you like the Voddoo Tactical gear ?. I have one like yours and it seems to me to be TO soft, like the fabric is not Mil-spec. I bought it for my AR15 GO bag and am thinking it wont hold up. Would love to find a Mil-spec one but last I checked they were $$$$. Have fun this weekend :thumb:

It's like anything else, you get what you pay for. I wouldn't say that voodoo tactical stuff is bad... It should stand up to all the abuse most people will give it. The weak point being the seams. It's pretty hard to wear a hole through the cordura, even lighter cordura... but the seams will open up, especially if you stuff all the compartments. If your looking at some soft cases that'll take more abuse, you might want to check out condor. I've heard some good stuff about them. Hands down the best soft case in my opinion would be eagle industries soft cases though. http://www.eagleindustries.com/home.php?cat=65 They are around $100, and they will stand up to anything. I own several, and am thoroughly impressed by them.

I'm good friends with the owner of the local army surplus store, and he's a dealer for voodoo. I only paid $45 for this soft case... it'll serve me fine dragging my "tacticool" .22 around, but then again I'm not planning any amphibious insertions with it either.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:41 pm 
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

As a Mossberg Nut (collector), part of me is crying. Another part of me is happy you took a basket case of a rifle and turned it into something. I've done some pretty extreme things to restore an old rifle, but never converted one.

I'm glad you found a way to "save" it. Sometimes restorations are just impossible. Hopefully, you'll find a way to get it to shoot well (at 100 yds.) as some are truly tackdrivers.

Thanks for sharing your steps and methods. They should come in handy to many of us at some time or another. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:28 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Aladinbama wrote:
As a Mossberg Nut (collector), part of me is crying. Another part of me is happy you took a basket case of a rifle and turned it into something. I've done some pretty extreme things to restore an old rifle, but never converted one.

I'm glad you found a way to "save" it. Sometimes restorations are just impossible. Hopefully, you'll find a way to get it to shoot well (at 100 yds.) as some are truly tackdrivers.

Thanks for sharing your steps and methods. They should come in handy to many of us at some time or another. :thumb:

Thank you for the kind words Aladinbama!! :thumb:

I was originally thinking about restoring her... but two things ultimately kept me from going that route. One, I found a replacement stock, but I couldn't find the fore stock. Two, the worn rifling near the muzzle kind of worried me... If I was going to cut the barrel down and recrown (for accuracy reasons), I'd have to drill and tap the barrel for the front sight.

I probably would have had an easier time if I'd started with a CZ 452. I could have bought a stock that was already inletted for it, and I wouldn't have had to do any clean-up work on the metal. I don't have any reservations about what I did though. I now have a functional rifle that is rapidly becoming my favorite .22, the one I pull out when vermin need dispatched. These older .22 rifles have Americana oozing out of them, well designed, well built, just beautiful! I thank you for collecting these rifles, and keeping bubba's hands of them! :thumb: I can certainly empathize with your feelings.

Tomorrow I'll be grouping all the "good" ammo I bought for her. I'm really hopeful that with subsonic stuff the 100 yd groups will tighten up... I couldn't be more pleased with her 50 yd groups though, definitely a "tackdriver"!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:38 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I was able to make it to the range today... I ran all the "good" ammo through her (3 consecutive five shot groups at 50 yds). Wolf Match extra seemed to shine...

Here is the 50 yard target...

Attachment:
WME 50.JPG
WME 50.JPG [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 5533 times ]

Second was the Lapua Center-X with an average of .618 MOA, and after that RS Standard Plus with an Average of .650 MOA.

After the 50 yd testing, I shot 5 sighters with the Wolf Match Extra at 100 yds(this is 8.5 MOA up from the zero used for 50 yds), and this was ten shots "for record" after a new face (also at 100 yds)...

Attachment:
WME 100.JPG
WME 100.JPG [ 1.08 MiB | Viewed 5533 times ]

I bought two bricks of this stuff... now I'm going to get some zero's and do some box drills testing out this scope...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:06 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Have you tried the slightly less expensive Wolf Match Target?

Excellent groups. I love good 22's at 100 yards.

Regards,
Brian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:41 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

brianinca wrote:
Have you tried the slightly less expensive Wolf Match Target?

I did... both the Wolf Match Target and the RS Rifle Match came in with (comparatively) poor results... The Wolf gave an average of 1.268 MOA and the RS average was 1.316 MOA (Avg of 3 5 shot groups at 50 yds).

brianinca wrote:
Excellent groups. I love good 22's at 100 yards.

Regards,
Brian

Thanks! :thumb: I still don't believe that sub-MOA 10 shot 100 yd group... the last two rounds were the hardest I've ever had to break! Other than that, she's more fun than anyone should be allowed to have... NO recoil, the reticle barely moves when the shot breaks, hardly any report, and soo smooth on the bolt manipulation... She's a dream to shoot!! :dance: :dance:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I shot a Club Bullseye Pistol Match this morning, and stuck around afterward to shoot one of the Sniper's Hide 50 yd rimfire monthly comp (What Bugs Me). I had my previous 50 yd dope on the gun, and first group at 50 yds was over 4 MOA off... not a good sign. I was shooting in similiar conditions as last time, a little bit more wind. That wouldn't explain why I was hitting over 4 MOA off my aiming point at 1 o'clock though. O'well, I corrected and shot the bugs. The two I missed were on me... Tomorrow I'm going out to a buddies place (with lots of land), I'm going to bring her and see how she performs in a 50 yd 12MOA X 12MOA box drill. If I keep getting random zero shifts, I'll definitely be in the market for a new scope.

Here are the "bugs"

Attachment:
what bugs you.JPG
what bugs you.JPG [ 896.31 KiB | Viewed 5341 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:26 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I shot her today at my buddies place, and shot a box drill. The results were pretty disapointing. I was shooting prone, no rear support, at a fairly substantial up-hill angle. I had some issues "loading" the bipod and the groups aren't the greatest, however you can see that the groups on the left are 1/2-3/4 MOA outside what they should be. I shot the first group with the dope I had on the gun from yesterday, it was a little off, but I didn't sweat it. What does worry me is the fact that the 5th group is a little over 2 MOA away from the 1st group.

Attachment:
box drill.JPG
box drill.JPG [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 5003 times ]

Thinking back to previous outings with her I always shot at 50yds, then at 100yds... and not going back. On my second trip (testing out the ammo) I was off a little bit, but chaulked that up the flash hider and different brands of ammo. At the the end of that trip, I shot the Wolf Match Extra out to 100 yds and then packed up. Yesterday I was off by over 4 MOA using my 50 yd zero, and today after running the box drill, my 5th group was over 2 MOA away from my 1st group.

This coming Saturday, I'm going to run another box drill, and run it out and back... I've got the sneaking suspicion that this scope is junk though. I should have known better. I'm already looking at another scope. Tomorrow I'm going to order a Busnell Elite Tactical 10 X 42. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/353744 ... c=wishList It's a one inch scope, AND it's got a reputation for repeatable adjustments. The 80 MOA of internal adjustment will get me out to 200 yards. It's got a MIL-DOT reticle. I'll work around no parallax adjustment.

Last edited by 0933 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:49 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

That's a great choice of glass; the fixed 10X will leave you in pretty good shape for parallax, that's generally accepted as the threshold of magnification. I like the Elite series very much, they are very good value for money. I pulled an older Elite 4200 6-24x40 Adjustable Objective (parallax adjustment on the front rather than side) off a 223 Rem varmint rifle and repurposed it to my 10/22, the mildot reticle is nice.

A rifle THAT accurate is definitely going to show you any shortcomings in your optics. My experience has also been that I get shown MY shortcomings behind the trigger on a regular basis!!

Thanks for the updates.

Regards,
Brian in CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:44 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

brianinca wrote:
That's a great choice of glass; the fixed 10X will leave you in pretty good shape for parallax, that's generally accepted as the threshold of magnification. I like the Elite series very much, they are very good value for money. I pulled an older Elite 4200 6-24x40 Adjustable Objective (parallax adjustment on the front rather than side) off a 223 Rem varmint rifle and repurposed it to my 10/22, the mildot reticle is nice.

A rifle THAT accurate is definitely going to show you any shortcomings in your optics. My experience has also been that I get shown MY shortcomings behind the trigger on a regular basis!!

The only thing I'm a little worried about as for as parallax goes is that it's set for 100 yds. At 25 yds the target will probably be a little blurry. I don't think it'll be that big of a deal, Carlos Hathcock taught (back then the redfields didn't have parallax adjustments) look at the crosshairs, the target should be a little blurry. I run MIL-DOT reticles exclusively on my rifles. They are usefull for a number of things if you know how to use them. I should have gone with this scope in the first place, especially since I found out it has 80 MOA of internal adjustment. That will definitely get me past 200 yds... and in a 1" tube no less.

Yes, it's a rather humbling training tool. You HAVE to apply all the fundamentals if you are looking to get good results... The dwell time is 3-4 times what a centerfire is, if you don't execute proper follow through then you'll throw shots. If your trigger control is wanting, then your groups will open up quite a bit. With a bullet having a G1 B.C. of .130 and travelling at 1050 FPS, the wind can affect it as close as 50 yds. You definitely need to be on your game to use these rifles effectively out to 200 and even 300 yds.

brianinca wrote:
Thanks for the updates.

No problem! :thumb: Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:09 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I took her out again today, ran a box drill. After that I shot her at 100 yds, then shot at 50 yds. I repeated that again, each time putting my 50 yd "zero" on the gun.

Here is the box drill. 50 yds, from the bench with a rear bag.

Attachment:
BOX.JPG
BOX.JPG [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 4937 times ]

As you can see the groups are 1/2 - 3/4 MOA away from where they are supposed to be. But yet again dialling down results in a zero shift. The fifth group being 2 MOA away from the first group.

After shooting out to 100 yds and back I noticed also that dialing out was pretty consistent. If I was hitting center at 50 yds I'd put 8.5 MOA up and it would be right on at 100 yds. However when I put my 50 yd "zero" back on and shot at 50 yds again, my groups would be off atleast 2 MOA. This happened both times shooting out and back.

It's official now, this scope is not performing up to expectations. I'm going to change it out as soon as my new scope comes in.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:20 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

nice job saving that rifle , and fantastic photo essay of the project , i see your efforts were rewarded in the performance too

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:46 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

A square 10 wrote:
nice job saving that rifle , and fantastic photo essay of the project , i see your efforts were rewarded in the performance too

Thank you for the kind words A square 10, I'm glad you enjoyed looking at her transformation!! :thumb:

I need to get my Bushnell mounted, and sighted in... Once I do that, I'll post some new pictures of her with it and a suppressor. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:51 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

i was particularly intrigued with the paint job , i had occasion a while back to desire doing that to my DILs AR , but , ended up buying something that was easier but not so nice looking , i may have to revisit that project

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

A square 10 wrote:
i was particularly intrigued with the paint job , i had occasion a while back to desire doing that to my DILs AR , but , ended up buying something that was easier but not so nice looking , i may have to revisit that project

You might also try using broom straws... It's pretty effective if you match the color scheme of your natuarl veg, and it looks pretty cool.

Attachment:
straw camo.jpg
straw camo.jpg [ 136.49 KiB | Viewed 4169 times ]

Here is a tutorial... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... t=9&page=1

Or if you are looking for a pattern, try these guys for the stencils. http://www.stevensonenterprise.com/bulldogarms/

Good luck!! :thumb:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next