http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:45 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I assembled her today. Here is the stock.

Right Side...

Attachment:
R stock.JPG
R stock.JPG [ 893.49 KiB | Viewed 5244 times ]

Left side...

Attachment:
L stock.JPG
L stock.JPG [ 838.65 KiB | Viewed 5244 times ]

here are some close ups of the action.

Bolt closed...

Attachment:
closed.JPG
closed.JPG [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 5244 times ]

Bolt open...

Attachment:
open.JPG
open.JPG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 5244 times ]

Left side of the action...

Attachment:
culeftside.JPG
culeftside.JPG [ 1.23 MiB | Viewed 5244 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:48 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Here are some more close ups...

Floorplate, magazine, and trigger guard...

Attachment:
floorplatetg.JPG
floorplatetg.JPG [ 1006.7 KiB | Viewed 5244 times ]

The safety...

Attachment:
safety2.JPG
safety2.JPG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 5244 times ]

Here are two pictures of her before I mounted the optic.

Left side...

Attachment:
strippedl.JPG
strippedl.JPG [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 5243 times ]

Right side...

Attachment:
strippedr.JPG
strippedr.JPG [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 5243 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:05 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I think I might try and find another pair of rings... these are a little high, and I had to take a file to them to get them to set right. I also need to get one size bigger ocular scope cap. The ring used to adjust focus is a little bigger than the bell, making the cap bulge, and it's pretty hard to open.

Left side...

Attachment:
leftside.JPG
leftside.JPG [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 5240 times ]

Right side...

Attachment:
rightside.JPG
rightside.JPG [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 5240 times ]

Quartering from the front...

Attachment:
front.JPG
front.JPG [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 5240 times ]

I'll be taking her out tomorrow. I don't think that I'll be able to test out all the different ammo I bought... but I do want to get a rough zero, and mess around a little bit. I'll post a range report tomorrow.

Right now my Suppressor is back at gemtech getting a steel endcap, and I still don't have the tap to chase the threads on the flash hider. I promise to post more pics when I get her muzzle attachments on.

Now let's hear what you think of her! :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:49 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I hope the completed project will give you the accuracy you are looking for--
The creative ability and skill of some of our members constantly amaze me!

You took a basket case and turned it into what many of us wish we had the ability to do.
Great tutorial and pics--

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:42 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

That's really an excellent build, and great writeup. I really like those Boyd's stocks, despite the name they are super comfortable to shoot. I used one on my 10/22, much better than the Hogue I had previously. The dogleg bolt handle is especially neat.

My only concern is your elevation out to 200 yards, without the greater adjustment range of a 30mm tube you might want to look at a 10/20 MOA rail for your rings to live on. I have a 1" Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 AO MilDot on my 22, and shooting Wolf Match Target I run out of elevation at 200+ yards. Stingers print 6" high at 100 yards compared to Wolf, but since they pattern instead of group......

Regards,
Brian in CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:02 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Very, very fine finished product Marine! Let us know how your build shoots! You'll turn some heads at the range. I too love the way the stock came out. Nice thing about .22LR, you can shoot all day long for cheap!!

Carl Jung

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:43 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Wow! :clap: I like it all but especially your camo method and result. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:15 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Polock wrote:
The creative ability and skill of some of our members constantly amaze me! You took a basket case and turned it into what many of us wish we had the ability to do.
Great tutorial and pics--

brianinca wrote:
That's really an excellent build, and great writeup. I really like those Boyd's stocks, despite the name they are super comfortable to shoot. I used one on my 10/22, much better than the Hogue I had previously. The dogleg bolt handle is especially neat.

Regards,
Brian in CA

samsplacci wrote:
Very, very fine finished product Marine! Let us know how your build shoots! You'll turn some heads at the range. I too love the way the stock came out. Nice thing about .22LR, you can shoot all day long for cheap!!

R.L.E.V.M. wrote:
Wow! :clap: I like it all but especially your camo method and result. :thumb:

Thank you for the compliments guys!! :thumb: :thumb: I really enjoyed working on her, and I'm glad that you enjoy seeing her in her new found glory!! I'll keep you guys posted on her performance!

brianinca wrote:
My only concern is your elevation out to 200 yards, without the greater adjustment range of a 30mm tube you might want to look at a 10/20 MOA rail for your rings to live on. I have a 1" Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 AO MilDot on my 22, and shooting Wolf Match Target I run out of elevation at 200+ yards. Stingers print 6" high at 100 yards compared to Wolf, but since they pattern instead of group......

Regards,
Brian in CA

Great minds think a like!! :lol: :lol: This has been in the back of my mind since first looking at the scope. I guess I shouldn't be suprised, from your posts I get the impression that you are pretty familiar with internal and external ballistics and have a good grasp of the things necessary for "long range precision" shooting.

This scope is advertised for 45 MOA of internal adjustment... however the elevation drum has three (3) BDCs for 40 grain, 38 grain, and 32 grain .22 lr loads. They are calibrated for remington high velocity stuff... but even then, for the ability to reach out to 300 yds (like it's marked and advertised), you need around 40 MOA from a 50 yd zero. I'm pretty skepticle that there is 80 MOA of adjustment in this 1" tube... but from the couple reviews I've read about it (from guys that sound credible), shooters ARE actually getting 300 yds out of the BDC (using high velocity bulk federal stuff). With match/subsonic stuff that I plan on shooting I'll need 26 MOA from a 50 yd zero to hit 200 yds... and 37 MOA to hit 250 yds... If the BDC is indeed capable of 40 MOA, then I should be good.

I'm still totally not sold on this scope... but I figured it was worth a try. I'll let you know how it performs!! :thumb:

Last edited by 0933 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:36 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I was worried seeing the "tacticool" label on the title.

But seeing your build, it came out REALLY NICE.

:thumb: :thumb:

Not remembering anything between the time of purchase till sitting at home with the weapon in hand,
a mad female,
and an influx of ammo purchases.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:16 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

sparkfly88 wrote:
I was worried seeing the "tacticool" label on the title.

But seeing your build, it came out REALLY NICE.

:thumb: :thumb:

Thanks sparkfly... I was up in the air about the title, but figured I might get some more veiws with the word "Tacticool"... not necessarily with good intentions. :lol: :lol:

I took her to the range today, and I've got to say that she doesn't disapoint...

Here is three consecutive five shot groups at 50 yds. The bolt throw is nothing on her, I didn't even have to take my elbow off the bench, and not even close to having to move my cheek.

Attachment:
50.JPG
50.JPG [ 975.64 KiB | Viewed 5154 times ]

This was done with the bipod and a rear bag off the bench. Going from left to right, 1.248 MOA, .572 MOA, .292 MOA for an average of 0.704 MOA. I'll probably test the rest of the ammo the same way... three consecutive five shot groups, and look at the average.

This is when I moved back to 100 yds. I reset the BDC to 50, and the windage drum to 0. This is with the BDC set to 100 (7 MOA up from 50). It is a ten shot group, wind 5-6 MHP coming from 7 o'clock. I was holding 2 MOA into the wind (9 o'clock), I probably should have been holding a minute more.

Attachment:
100.JPG
100.JPG [ 1014.55 KiB | Viewed 5154 times ]

It's not that bad, but I figured that my bullets were experiencing some transonic buffering... I was using CCI Blazer 40 grain lead round nose. My ruger MK II just loves this stuff (7-10X cleans all day in timed fire). It's not marked on the box but after some digging, it's high velocity and at 5,000 ft it passes through the transonic range between 65-80 yds. This seems to back up my results at 100 yds not being in line with the 50 yd results.

I can't wait to run some good ammo through her. :dance: :dance:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:33 pm 

Great job. :thumb: :thumb:

What are you going to do with the stock and sights?

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:38 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Good results rifleman! At least you now know it's a shooter as well as tacticool. Get quality ammo. Funny my buddy shot rimfire in competition and mentioned this trans-sonic effect just a couple of days ago. :thumb:

Carl Jung

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:20 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

candyman wrote:
Great job. :thumb: :thumb:

What are you going to do with the stock and sights?

Pm sent.

samsplacci wrote:
Good results rifleman! At least you now know it's a shooter as well as tacticool. Get quality ammo. Funny my buddy shot rimfire in competition and mentioned this trans-sonic effect just a couple of days ago. :thumb:

She is a shooter... The transonic barrier is not just confned to the .22 lr. The 7.62 X 51 is notorious for losing all accuracy and energy when it hits the transonic barrier. With the .22 if I start out below the sound barrier, then I don't have to negotiate that "buffer zone."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:55 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I finally got the tap in... thirty seconds cleaning up the threads and I put the flash hider on her.

Attachment:
FLASH HIDER.JPG
FLASH HIDER.JPG [ 617.5 KiB | Viewed 5020 times ]

I bought a voodoo tactical soft case for her, 42" long and she just fits.

Attachment:
OVERALL.JPG
OVERALL.JPG [ 474.52 KiB | Viewed 5020 times ]

I am hoping to test out all that ammo this Sunday or Monday. Once I find her flavor, I'll get a couple bricks and really put the scope through it's paces!

Last edited by 0933 on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:48 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

T,

Nice rig :thumb: How do you like the Voddoo Tactical gear ?. I have one like yours and it seems to me to be TO soft, like the fabric is not Mil-spec. I bought it for my AR15 GO bag and am thinking it wont hold up. Would love to find a Mil-spec one but last I checked they were $$$$. Have fun this weekend :thumb:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next