http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Right before Christmas my Mom was out visiting (from Missouri). She came bearing gifts... some of my odds and ends stuff, some reloading components, gun parts, and this Mossberg 42m(a).

Now, I'm not sure where she came across this Mossberg... I certainly don't remember it. It might have been one of the .22's my grandfather gave us kids, but I don't think so. We knew how to take better care of our rifles than that.

This rifle started life looking something similiar to this...

Attachment:
Original.jpg
Original.jpg [ 44.28 KiB | Viewed 10454 times ]

Alot happened between then and when she came home to me this past winter.

I don't have any pictures of when I first laid eyes on her... and I'm kind of glad that I can't embarrass her like that. She was missing her forestock, both sling swivels, and the metal clip just aft of her forestock. She must have spent some time in a barn somewhere because she was COVERED in rust (I didn't even know what model she was because the rust was so heavy on the barrel), and about 40% of her buttstock was eaten by termites... I pulled her steel buttplate (screws and all) off with my fingers. She had her front sight assembly, complete with all the apertures, but no rear sight of any kind. She had a rimfire 3/8 dovetail scope base installed that was obviously aluminum because there was no rust on it. She was also missing her magazine. Other than that she appeared to have all the rest of her parts.

For some reason I really liked the look of her action... she didn't look like "a cheap .22." There were some things I didn't particularly care about... like her trigger. It was too cramped, and the placement meant I would hit the bolt with the first joint of my trigger finger. It took me a little while to figure out what I was going to do with her, but in early May I started to clean her up, and I had a clear vision of the direction that I wanted to take her.

I took most of the rust off with WD-40 and a wire wheel... there was still some rust on her barrel, but after knocking all the iron oxide off I discovered four holes drilled and tapped for her rear sight and the metal clip bridging her stocks. I needed a clean, smooth barrel. I filled them with JB weld. Here is the earliest picture I have of her... you can see a little bit of her roughness, and the masking tape is keeping the epoxy where I want it.

Attachment:
mossberg 42m(a).JPG
mossberg 42m(a).JPG [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 10454 times ]

After that I used WD-40 and 800 grit sandpaper to knock the rest of the rust off the barrel and smooth out the mounds left by the JB weld. I pretty much took the barrel back to being "in the white."

Attachment:
42m(a).JPG
42m(a).JPG [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 10454 times ]

When I first looked down her bore, I wasn't too impressed. Shallow rifling, almost a smoothbore, but atleast the inside of her wasn't covered in corrosion. As I cleaned her bore, I kept removing more and more lead... The previous owner probably never cleaned her and all that lead build up kept the inside of her barrel fairly intact. When I was all finished, I could see her rifling, and overall her bore looked to be in pretty good shape except for the last 1/4" or so near the muzzle. There was a little pitting and the rifling was pretty worn just near the muzzle... maybe somebady cleaned her regularly at some point, or it was the product of corrosive ammo almost certainly shot through her (this rifle starting life in 1944 or 1945).

I started acquiring all the parts and pieces I would need for my project, with the end result being a .22 lr bolt action precision rifle. She'll have some strong mall ninja flavors (purists be warned)... but I plan on regularly shooting her out to atleast 200 yds.

Attachment:
tacticool.JPG
tacticool.JPG [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 10454 times ]

As you can see I bought a Boyds "Tacticool" rimfire stock, thus the title of the thread. I asked if Boyds could give me an un-inletted one... however because of the way that they make them, that wasn't possible. I settled for one that was inletted for the Marlin 800/900 series of rifles.

I also bought several types of match and subsonic .22 lr ammunition that I'll test out. The goal being 1 MOA at 100 yds and 2 MOA at 200 yds. Most of them cost between $5-6 a box... but the Lapua Center-X cost $12 a box!! :o :o I hope there is another flavor that she likes just as much, if not more, than the Lapua.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

One of the sayings around here is " Its your rifle, do what you want " and thats how I feel. You are rebuilding a basket case back to a useable weapon :thumb: . Good for you. I have done many. I own a Mossberg very much like yours and it is sitting on my bench naked waiting for me to decide which direction to travel with it. Being that I have most of the parts I may go with restoration. I do however like were you are going with yours and look forward to seeing more pic's of your progress =D> :thumb: . Rick.
If I am correct in saying so . Thank you for your service to our country.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:16 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

This will take a couple of evenings to post everything... but I'll have her together on Sunday, and take her out on Monday. Enjoy the read, and my labor of love!

The first thing I did with the stock was make a cheek piece for it. I cut a 12" X 12" sheet of coyote brown kydex into a rectangle 6" X 8". You can get sheets of kydex online, or from knife makers supply shops.

Attachment:
Kydex.JPG
Kydex.JPG [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 10445 times ]

I put it on a cookie sheet, and popped it in the oven on 300 degrees Farenheit. Three minutes later it was as pliable as construction paper. I draped it over the buttstock, and let it cool.

Attachment:
Forming.JPG
Forming.JPG [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 10445 times ]

I then marked out the outer contour and cut it using a dremel. There are some pretty good tutorials on the web on how to do this... so I won't go into great depth on how to do it. If you would like a little more info, post and I'll answer. I used 1/4" X 20 2" long carriage bolts and 1/4" X 20 jig knobs to attach it to the stock.

Attachment:
cheekpeice.JPG
cheekpeice.JPG [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 10445 times ]

Adjustable... very "tacticool" but functional.

I also took the two sling swivels out, filled the holes with JB weld again and put a single sling swivel where I wanted it.

Attachment:
sling swivel.JPG
sling swivel.JPG [ 1.48 MiB | Viewed 10445 times ]

Now for the rifle... I cut about 1/2" of the end of the barrel and re-crowned it. I also cut 1/2 X 28 threads... I plan on running her suppressed most of the time. I love Arizona...

Attachment:
threads.JPG
threads.JPG [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 10445 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:27 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Tunnimaster wrote:

You are correct sir, and it is all my pleasure. :thumb: Thank you for your gratitude!

Good luck on your restoration... and if you may need some of the parts that I didn't use, triggerguard, buttplate, front sight assembly... etc, I'll be happy to send them to you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:16 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

When I was younger, working for an airgunsmith down the street, I made a set-screw muzzle attachment for my Marlin mod 60. I also made this flash hider (1/2 X 28 tpi).

Attachment:
flash hider.JPG
flash hider.JPG [ 1.37 MiB | Viewed 10431 times ]

I'll use this as a thread protector when I don't have the can on her. The first couple threads are messed up... I don't know how that happened. I'll chase the threads from the front side, but I'm having a little trouble actually getting the tap. Twice the post office has returned it to sender because of "undeliverable address." :x :x

The barrel isn't a heavy barrel, but it's a lot thicker than most "standard" weight barrels now... this flash hider will look right at home on her.

Back to the stock... using a stock that is not inletted for your action presents a couple challenges. Once I attempted to place the barrelled action in the stock, I realized that I would need to plug the exhisting magazine hole... start over from scratch and re-inlet everything.

Attachment:
plug.JPG
plug.JPG [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 10431 times ]

I cut this plug from seasoned maple. I used JB weld to "glue" it into the stock. I probably could have used something better, but I have alot of JB weld and I don't think that the recoil of a .22 will break it loose. After the plug was in, and the epoxy set, I used some sandpaper wrapped around a 3/4" PVC pipe to clean up the receiver channel. The fact that the receiver is machined from barstock made this fairly easy. Next I taped off the stock, and bedded the receiver.

Attachment:
ready.JPG
ready.JPG [ 1.56 MiB | Viewed 10431 times ]

I bedded the first inch or so of barrel. The one takedown screw is far forward on the receiver and I wanted enough support, fore and aft, to get solid support for the receiver. I wrapped some tape around the barrel and used that as a support point while the bedding compound set up. I have a good 1/8" gap on both sides of the barrel the whole length... and since I used the fore part of the barrel as a support point, the barrel is centered in the channel. some of the bedding compound flowed around the post for the takedown screw... essentially bedding the recoil lug.

Attachment:
bedding rs.JPG
bedding rs.JPG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 10431 times ]

As you can see the cutout for the bolt and safety on the stock do not match up with the rifle... but that is one of the things I had to work around. I was planning on filling them in anyway, and I was much more concerned about trigger placement, and where the safety was going to end up than how the cutouts layed against the receiver.

Before it was all said and done, I filled the forward portion of the trigger cutout with epoxy, moved the triggerguard (Marlin 880 triggerguard) back 1/4", bedded the floorplate, and contoured the bottom of the stock.

Attachment:
floorplate.JPG
floorplate.JPG [ 1.5 MiB | Viewed 10431 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:37 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I filled in the bolt and safety cut outs.

Attachment:
filling cut outs.JPG
filling cut outs.JPG [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 10426 times ]

I also notched the rear left side for the rear aperture screws. The screws were still installed in the side of the receiver, I decided to keep them.

Attachment:
Left quarter.JPG
Left quarter.JPG [ 1.41 MiB | Viewed 10426 times ]

I inletted the stock for all the internals, and drilled a new magazine channel. Here she is in all her laminated, JB weld, maple, bedding, and tool marks.

Attachment:
inletting.JPG
inletting.JPG [ 1.28 MiB | Viewed 10426 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:05 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Now, one of the things I didn't particularly care for on her original configuration, was the trigger...

Attachment:
The attachment trigger.JPG is no longer available

With the Marlin triggerguard, I have a whole bunch of room, and the profile adds to the overall look to the rifle. I straightened out the trigger a little bit.

Attachment:
straightened.JPG
straightened.JPG [ 1.64 MiB | Viewed 10420 times ]

This served to match the curve of the triggerguard, and keeps my joint from hitting the bolt knob.

Attachment:
close up.JPG
close up.JPG [ 1.29 MiB | Viewed 10420 times ]

Here she is quartering away... showing her attractive silhouette. She is a functioning rifle at this point.

Attachment:
right quartering.JPG
right quartering.JPG [ 707.24 KiB | Viewed 10420 times ]

Back to the beginning... I was still missing an important part of her. The magazine.

I tried Havlin sales http://www.havlinsales.com/ Evidently the gentleman that was manufacturing the Mossberg magazines for them, Numrich, and Brownells, passed away. His son is supposed to be taking over, but everyone is sold out and there is no eta on any new magazines. I was more than a little bummed, but kept an eye out, and I managed to find one on e-bay. I paid a little more for it... but I've got a magazine now!! :dance: :dance:

Attachment:
magazine.JPG
magazine.JPG [ 1.78 MiB | Viewed 10420 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:13 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

0933 wrote:
Tunnimaster wrote:

You are correct sir, and it is all my pleasure. :thumb: Thank you for your gratitude!

Good luck on your restoration... and if you may need some of the parts that I didn't use, triggerguard, buttplate, front sight assembly... etc, I'll be happy to send them to you.

Thank you. I am always stashing away extra parts and for sure parts that are missing are the front sight assembly and buttplate. I will look in the parts case for this particular rifle to see if there is anything else missing that you may have. Off the top of my head I think the front and rear sights were replaced with aftermarket sights so if you are interested in open sights and want something more modern we could swap. The rear is a Williams that much I know. If your going with optics I guess open sights are out. Thank you again for your offer. Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:53 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Tunnimaster wrote:
Thank you. I am always stashing away extra parts and for sure parts that are missing are the front sight assembly and buttplate. I will look in the parts case for this particular rifle to see if there is anything else missing that you may have. Off the top of my head I think the front and rear sights were replaced with aftermarket sights so if you are interested in open sights and want something more modern we could swap. The rear is a Williams that much I know. If your going with optics I guess open sights are out. Thank you again for your offer. Rick

PM sent.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:14 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Here are two more pictures of her before I started finishing her.

Right side...

Attachment:
right side.JPG
right side.JPG [ 725.94 KiB | Viewed 10199 times ]

Left side...

Attachment:
Left side.JPG
Left side.JPG [ 748.67 KiB | Viewed 10199 times ]

I decided to use Aluma Hyde II in black on her metal. I already had some, it would help fill in some of the pitting on the outside of the barrel, and I really like the flat matte black of the resulting finish. I wiped the metal down with rubbing alcohol, taped off all the areas not going to be covered...

Attachment:
Taped.JPG
Taped.JPG [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 10199 times ]

Then used a propane torch to burn of any oil or water left on the surface. I put 3 coats on her ten minutes apart.

Attachment:
Aluma Hyde II.JPG
Aluma Hyde II.JPG [ 1.15 MiB | Viewed 10199 times ]

Tomorrow will be two weeks of letting the Aluma Hyde cure... It should be more than set up for me to assemble her tomorrow.

On to optics... I was in kind of a pickle here. I wanted a 1" tube... pretty easy to get rimfire rings for a 1" tube. I also felt that a 1" tube would "fit" her better than a 30mm one. Even with this .22 everything is slightly smaller. The Bipod I have on her is a NcStar 5.5" to 8"... the 7" to 11" is way to big on her, even though that would be the size I would use for prone on a centerfire rifle. The sling I have set aside for her is an old uncle mikes 1" leather one set up like a service rifle sling... but it's much shorter. I have used it for sitting and kneeling... but it's not long enough for prone. A regular service rifle sling would wear this rifle, instead of the other way around.

Back to optics... 1" tube, preferably made for a .22 (can focus down to a couple yards), if fixed power not more than 10X, finger adjustable resetable turrents, 1/4 MOA adjustments, and I would prefer a mil-dot reticle. Now I can't have everything... I decided to chance it with the BSA sweet 22 3-9 X 40 (on sale for $93).

Attachment:
scope.JPG
scope.JPG [ 1.34 MiB | Viewed 10199 times ]

There are some things that I am not too fond of... the sunshade is downright obnoxious! But all the other 40mm sunshades I have are a little too big to thread onto the objective... Eventually I'd like to find one without all the ribs on it though.The reticle is a duplex... it is a first focal plane, but without some finer reference points, is pretty useless for ranging. I have my doubts as to the repeatability and gradients of the adjustments. After I do the accuracy testing, I'll run it through a couple box drills, and see if it will return to zero after shooting at various distances.

Having said that, it does have a side focus that starts at 7.5 yds. It does have 1/4 MOA, resettable, finger adjustable turrents, and 45 MOA of internal elevation adjustment. We'll see how it works out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:24 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Marine, some pretty cool work on this Mossberg! Being able to supress it is rather awesome. :thumb:

Carl Jung

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:29 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I finished the stock with Krylon spray paint... I know that is straight out of bubba's book, but I knew I could make it look good and after a couple coats of clear matte it should wear pretty well also.

Here are some test strips I did up... I figured out pretty fast that I needed to use the darker stuff pretty sparingly.

Attachment:
test strips.JPG
test strips.JPG [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 10175 times ]

Attachment:
t s 2.JPG
t s 2.JPG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 10175 times ]

I used three colors... all in satin. Fossil, Nutmeg (which matches the color coyote brown pretty well), and espresso.

Attachment:
Krylon.JPG
Krylon.JPG [ 1.42 MiB | Viewed 10175 times ]

The only overlay I used, was burlap. I took a burlap bag and un-wove it untill I had a bunch of fibers that I laid over each other to make the pattern.

Attachment:
Burlap.JPG
Burlap.JPG [ 1.3 MiB | Viewed 10175 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

T.
Its looking good. I agree on the sunshade. Its got way to much going on. What ever happened to less is better #-o . So how about mixn up a batch of JB and filling in the grooves,sand it smooth and Aluma Hyde it. Problem solved :thumb:
I was out in the shop today and looked at my little Mossy and found it to be a 42M (b). Pretty much same as yours with a few small changes. Some parts are missing and the bluing is all but gone. She will be fun to bring back to life and if possible I will do a restoration with a twist :thumb: I sent you a PM on the parts. Thanks , Rick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:00 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I used the fossil as the base coat...

Attachment:
1st coat.JPG
1st coat.JPG [ 981.72 KiB | Viewed 10169 times ]

It's not that light in person... but it certainly looks like it's almost white in that picture.

Here is the application phaze of the camoflauge design...

Attachment:
application.JPG
application.JPG [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 10169 times ]

Here the stock is after I put two coats of clear coat on it...

Attachment:
clear coat.JPG
clear coat.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 10169 times ]

I'm glad that I used all three colors... the little bit of espresso gave alot of depth to the pattern.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:18 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

samsplacci wrote:
Marine, some pretty cool work on this Mossberg! Being able to supress it is rather awesome. :thumb:

I'm glad that you like her! :thumb: When she's run suppressed she'll be quiet enough to shoot without ear protection, and with match/subsonic ammunition, you'll be able to hear the firing pin fall. I'll try and take some decent quality video of her suppressed, and post it.

Tunnimaster wrote:
T.
Its looking good. I agree on the sunshade. Its got way to much going on. What ever happened to less is better #-o . So how about mixn up a batch of JB and filling in the grooves,sand it smooth and Aluma Hyde it. Problem solved :thumb:
I was out in the shop today and looked at my little Mossy and found it to be a 42M (b). Pretty much same as yours with a few small changes. Some parts are missing and the bluing is all but gone. She will be fun to bring back to life and if possible I will do a restoration with a twist :thumb: I sent you a PM on the parts. Thanks , Rick

I'm seriously considering something like that if I can't find another 40mm sunshade that will fit. You would think that machining all those ribs would add time to the manufacturing process, yeilding a more expensive product.

Yours is pretty similiar to mine, I forget which part they modified... but cosmetically and functionally our rifles are pretty much identical. I'll get those parts out on Monday, and I'm looking forward to seeing your restoration!! :thumb: :thumb: