Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

A great bullet for the Martini Cadet.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

A great bullet for the Martini Cadet.

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:01 pm

For about a year now I have been shooting a new bullet for my Martini Cadet rifles in ,310. As you know the bore of these rifle is .323 and shooting anything under that will not shoot well at all at the ranges I shoot.
I was told about this company ( person) who hand makes his molds out of Aluminum for a fair price,or other materials if your willing to pay the price.
I ordered a custum three cavity mold ( easier to control heat over a four cavity) of his 130 grain bullet. This is ten grains heavier than the original bullet but really fills rifles bore much better giving you a better and more consistent burn of the powder. It has the heel on it that is required for this cartridge.
I do crimp the bullet in place using a bullet canalure tool that works very well in crimping the bullet into the case. I will try a Stab-crimper I made later one.
I shot a 6" wide target at 200 meters Standing with this new bullet and found it to be very accurate. If I did my part I could hit the steel target 100% of the time.
I'm using 4.5 Grains of Unique. This came from the down Under guys and it far out shoots IMR-4227 or Bluedot. I'm getting right around 1200 FPS.
The bullet has a single grease groove and I found no leading when cleaning the rifle. I also tried 100 Powder coated bullets I made and they too shot very well with no lube needed.
The mold is quite large and likes a hot melt to be used to keep the mold hot. I'm using 710 degrees F with a tin alloy lead melt.
While I have not yet shot this load at 500 meters,I'm sure on a clam day it will do well.
At 200 meters the bullet leaves a nice Splash of lead on the target and it does ring the target loud enough to be heard over folks talking.
The guys in Australia shoot this bullet ( and one like it) out to 300 meters and say they get very good groups from the prone.
I have tried many bullet molds over the decades since I bought the rifle for 6 bucks in 1965. The RCBS was OK but is too small to really fill the bore properly for my liking.
I am not affiliated with this guy or his company but really like the bullets his mold drops for the Martini Cadet rifle.
cadet2.jpg
Cadet1.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

Re: A great bullet for the Martini Cadet.

#2 Post by Cattus Borealis » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:38 am

Rob,

This is good news. I have a Cadet Martini that was rechambered to 32 Special. Do you think this bullet would work for my gun? I typically use the Lyman #323470 sized to .323. The bullet drops at 165 grains for me.

Thanks for posting this,

Chris

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:10 pm

Yes, a hard alloy will work as would one of these bullets powder coated to stop bore leading.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#4 Post by Cattus Borealis » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:35 pm

Thank you Rob!

les1234
United States of America

#5 Post by les1234 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Doesn't a .32 special use a straight sided bullet, rather than a heel base?

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:01 am

It would not matter since he is shooting cast lead. The velocity is lower than a jacketed bullet.
How does your rifle in .32 Win. special shoot? I have a couple of pulled barrels in this caliber done in the 50's for the Cadet.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#7 Post by Cattus Borealis » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 am

Rob,

She shoots great in 32 Special. I notice that there is a bit of drift with the 165 grain bullets. I have hit steel targets at 200 yards with this little rifle. Very accurate.

I like using Vectan BA 9 (13 grains) and AA 5744 (24 grains). BA 9 has a similar burn rate to Unique. I call it "Le Unique."

Take Care,

Chris

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:35 pm

Are there any issues with loading the longer case and the angle going into the chamber?
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#9 Post by Cattus Borealis » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:46 pm

Rob,

I have to pull the lever a little lower when loading but that is about it. No extraction issues

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”