Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Field expedient (sort of) pull through

Spavac
United States of America

Field expedient (sort of) pull through

#1 Post by Spavac » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:57 pm

I was reading through some posts from earlier this year and spotted one RE: the proper stowage of the SMLE weighted pull through bore cleaner. While it's important to many (sometimes myself included) to have authentic accessories for our relics of days gone by, I thought until I came across one at a decent price (including S&H) a reasonable facsimile would be pretty easy to make. So I did.
I realize that most of the "authentic" pull throughs have a brass weighted piece attached to the cordage, I thought any metal that was softer that the steel of the barrel would do. I chose a short (~4") piece of 1/4" soft copper tubing for my weight. While I think that it was prolly heavy enough to easily drop through the breech and continue on to the muzzle, I decided to beef it up some by slightly crimping the end of the tubing and filling it with spent .177cal lead pellets :idea:. I secured the pull through cord to the weight by again crimping the end of the tube. On the authentic pull throughs, the loop end is formed by what looks like a rope splice but I merely "whipped" the loop in place using some heavy thread.
RE: the cordage, well it's cotton and looks kinda old ;), I'm sure it will do the job. After completing the project, I did read that the authentic pull throughs are 49"-51" in length. Mine is a bit longer. I could easily undo the whipping at the loop end and shorten it some but that will have to wait.

Bottom line, when wrapped per the instructions in the post on proper stowage, the cord portion stows nicely in the drilled out portion of the buttstock and the weight stows nicely in the hole drilled just beneath the hinge of the buttstock trapdoor. It's not "the real deal" but works just as well and fits in the buttstock nicely. Comments welcome.
Spavac

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: Field expedient (sort of) pull through

#2 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:47 pm

NIce!
I've done the same trick for a weight myself.
Some weights were also soft iron (steel) also.
You are missing a loop or two in the cordage though.

Spavac
United States of America

#3 Post by Spavac » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm

Tommy Atkins wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:47 pm
NIce!
I've done the same trick for a weight myself.
Some weights were also soft iron (steel) also.
You are missing a loop or two in the cordage though.
Ya, I saw some examples with either mid-cord "loops" or mid-cord thickened sections but the cord that I had on hand (braided cotton) didn't lend itself to either of those options :|. I'm on the lookout for some triple strand twisted rope-like cord that will allow for either of those options. RE: the weights made from other metals, I did see a reference to ferrous weights but thought that "the softer, the better" as far as potential damage to the rifling and or crown.
While there's always some level of satisfaction being able to "engineer" a needed component from local resources (i.e. cobble up a work-around from workshop scraps ;) ), I'd like to find an authentic pull through for my Ishapore somewhere along the line :D .
Spavac

englishman_ca
Canada

#4 Post by englishman_ca » Fri May 17, 2019 11:42 am

This is what I was taught as an army cadet at 12 years old.

The three loops in the pull through.
The first loop closest to the weight is for a piece of metal gauze.
The second or middle loop is for a flannel patch.
The third and last loop is NEVER to be used when cleaning.

The back loop's use is intended for an armourer's hook should the pull through ever snap and get stuck in the bore.

Same deal goes for bore snakes, dont use the loop to hold a patch.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”