Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Ishapore mag capacity

Arminius
Austria

Ishapore mag capacity

#1 Post by Arminius » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:21 pm

I own an Ishapore, but not for long. Mine has, although marked "2A1" the 2.000 yds sight. And it has a 10 rd mag. Now there were recently 2 Ishis offered, and BOTH have 10 rd mags.

Now I thought, and read on the Internet, that 12 rd mags were standard, and 10 rd mags the eception of the rule …

Is that true?

It seems to me, momentarily, that the 10 rd mags are more common.

I REALLY would want an original 12 ( TWELVE ) rd mag!

Hermann
Guns. Also classy Women, good beer and fine wines. Did I mention guns? Lots of guns.
A man can never have enough ammunition, books and booze.

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: Ishapore mag capacity

#2 Post by indy1919a4 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Heck I am interested, because I thought all 308/7.62x51 Ishapores magazines could hold 12 rounds.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:09 pm

Yes, there are both 10 and 12 shot magazines. Having 5 round stripper clips ( chargers) as issued for NATO and other countries, have two more rounds would cause a partially emptied clip.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Spavac
United States of America

#4 Post by Spavac » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:49 am

I had to buy an aftermarket "new reproduction" magazine for my 2A1 as it was purchased sans mag. (Numrich Gun Parts Corp ~$50). It is described as a 10 round magazine. I suppose tho, that it's possible that the aftermarket mags are only 10 rounders in order to meet the capacity restrictions that are in force around the U.S. Numrich also sells a 5 round follower/mag spring component for the Canadian's. Like others posting/replying to this thread, I too, had read that 12 round magazines were out there. In reality tho, a 12 round magazine, as Rapidrob stated, would result in having loose rounds or partially loaded stripper clips laying around. With most ammo being packaged in multiples of 5,10, 20 or 100 (none conducive to 12 round magazine use) 10 rounders seem much more practical. History buffs may know if the Indian Army had originally packaged their ammo in 12 round stripper clips to meet the capacity of the magazines. To me, having a 12 round mag would only serve the purpose of having something that most others didn't ;-). If I ever saw one for sale I'd prolly buy it but I'm not actively searching.
Spavac

Arminius
Austria

#5 Post by Arminius » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:30 am

All aftermarket mags seem to be 10 rounders, but regrettably nobody is still selling outside US.

Although all legal and 10 rds for a bolt action rifle … the compamies say, it´s so much of a hussle, because of US regulations!

And I still would like a 12 rd mag as a military boss/decider/Chief: first response to an attack is more rounds ( think "Mad Minute" ), and even if regularly carried with 10 rds, its less spring tension, and don´t forget: you can stoke up with 2 charger strips with 2 rounds still at the ready.

And as the 12 rounder seem not to ( much ) protrude from the trigger group, it makes sense, IMO.

So I want one …

Hermann

P.S.: correct and perfect decision would have been, to design the gun to take FAL mags, and make 12 rd FAL mags for them.

P.P.S.: and fit the rifle with a peep sight, preferrably the same as the FAL - makes training and transition easier.
Guns. Also classy Women, good beer and fine wines. Did I mention guns? Lots of guns.
A man can never have enough ammunition, books and booze.

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#6 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 am

Per loading 12 rounds in the mag and having loose rounds around on strpper clips.. Just because The magazine can hold 12 does not mean you have to load 12. One would use the 2 stipper clips and only load 10.. No loose rounds.

Now I have never done it.. On the three I own and the 2 others I have shot they were all loaded
to the top with 12 each time they were shot. :) But these are all original mags.. I wonder if it is just the replacement mags that max out at 10????
Last edited by indy1919a4 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ammolab
United States of America

#7 Post by ammolab » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:38 pm

indy1919a4 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 am
Per loading 12 rounds in the mag and having loose rounds around on strpper clips.. Just because The magazine can hold 12 does not mean you have to load 12. One would use the 2 stipper clips and only load 10.. No loose rounds.

Now I have never done it.. On the three I own and the 2 others I have shot they were all loaded
to the top with 12 each time they were shot. :) But these are all original mags.. I wonder it it is just the replacement mags that max out at 10????
I wonder if change in mags (10 vs 12rd) was a production run change/improvement.
Though mag swaps in use would cloud this today. I have one Ishapore 7.62 left: A 1965 date rifle with an unserialized 12rd mag.

indy1919a4
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#8 Post by indy1919a4 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Hey I have a favor to ask, any one with a 10 round Ishapore magazine, could they post some up close photos.. It would be neat to compare the 2 magazines.. And maybe a length measurement would be nice...

boltactionbill
United States of America

#9 Post by boltactionbill » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:39 pm

My 1967 Ishapore 2a1 has the factory numbered magazine and it only holds 10 rounds. Maybe different Indian manufacturers made different capacity magazines.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#10 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:32 pm

Here is a 12 round magazine. The most common way to control magazine capacity would be to change the length of the follower legs.
EM1.jpg
EM2.jpg
EM3.jpg
EM4.jpg
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”