Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Lee Enfield SMLE No. 1 MKIII .22 LR Conversion Unit

Roger Dunn
United States of America

Lee Enfield SMLE No. 1 MKIII .22 LR Conversion Unit

#1 Post by Roger Dunn » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Does anyone have or used a Lee Enfield SMLE No. 1 MKIII .22 LR Conversion Unit.
Is it worth having?

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Lee Enfield SMLE No. 1 MKIII .22 LR Conversion Unit

#2 Post by RWS » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:34 am

Well worth having as a collector's item, but it makes for a 8-lb+ squirrel rifle. So... if you can find one for a decent price then I say spring for it but in my opinion it can probably be out-performed by almost any modern commercial single-shot .22 rifle.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#3 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:58 am

Its twue! ITS TWUE!
But its worth it to go to an indoor range with it just to see the look on others faces up to the point it goes *poot*!
Numrich has them in stock for under 200.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/502970

I do hear they're utterly new & so will need individual fitting.

DaleH
United States of America

#4 Post by DaleH » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:16 am

FWIW I have one and LOVE it! Besides the admittedly COOL factor of shooting my SMLE indoors, I am getting very good accuracy out of it, as good as any non-match 22LR is capable of anyway.

I take care to wrap the liner at 3-points (both ends & middle) w/ teflon tape to ensure a ‘snug’fit in the bore. Then I used an inch-pound torque wrench to determine the tension it liked the best. Great fun it is! Mine is a unit serialized to my Lithgow No1 MkIII and came with it when I bought it. I shoot it in my basement all the time using Aguila Super Colibri (no gun powder) 22 rimfire ammo!

Off-Topic - On my Stevens 44-1/2 single-shot by CPA, chambered in 38-55, I shoot a custom 22LR liner by Lee Shaver Gunsmithing, where the headspace can be tuned to the rimfire ammo used. Once set, the headspace is fixed and can be removed or re-inserted while maintaining the headspace setting, but it can also be easily reset to switch to another arm or ammo, if needed. That is capable of sub-MOA groups at 100-yards. Lee sells those liners in 38-55, 40-65 and 45-70 calibers and use a specially modifed cartridge case ‘plug’ that transmits the centerfire firing pin strike to the 22LR rim, plus the plug has a ‘T’-notch to hold the 22 rim for inserting/extracting the plug along with the fired 22LR.

My Club has weekly shoots for our 22LRs at 100-yards and monthly we go out to 200 ... makes for a fun match!

Roger Dunn
United States of America

#5 Post by Roger Dunn » Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Thanks Everyone.
I was looking at the collector aspect and the looks at the range.

RWS
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#6 Post by RWS » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:05 am

Y'know there's a bunch of No. 1 MkIII .303 rifles out there that were converted to .22 LR rimfire in the 1920's and re-designated as the No. 2 rifle in at least two marks. Also referred to as the ".22 Trainer". Personally, I think an original No. 2 rifle would be a better choice as a collector's item (and hold its value better as well) than an aftermarket .22 conversion unit. Depends on how serious a collector you are, I guess.

Probably can't touch a No. 2 rifle for the $200 cost of the aftermarket .22 conversion unit though. They typically go for more than $500 in my neck of the woods.

-Bob

Roger Dunn
United States of America

#7 Post by Roger Dunn » Fri May 25, 2018 9:56 am

Finally ordered Lee Enfield SMLE No. 1 MKIII .22 LR Conversion Unit yesterday.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”