Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Happy 111th birthday olld girl.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Happy 111th birthday olld girl.

#1 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:14 am

On this date in 1907 the ShtLE, SMELLIE or Rifle No1 MkIII was accepted into service as the issue arm of the British Empire & Commonwealth.
Hip! Hip!
HURRAH!

Polock
United States of America

Re: Happy 111th birthday olld girl.

#2 Post by Polock » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Happy birthday to a grand old gal!
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

vandle
Australia

#3 Post by vandle » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:06 am

She has grown old gracefully
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 am

Hi vandle – It was Xmas of 69 that I decided to go to Australia to visit Lightning Ridge to see first hand the Opal mines and buy some Opal. They would rent me a vehicle, that part was okay and I thought that I could handle the left hand driving...but then...but then, after riding in the taxis I decided that maybe, just probable, I could make a mistake at a busy intersection out of habit. So, I just went to a local Opal supply house in Sydney and bought some Opal. And then I decided that I would just go to Tasmania to see some Tasmanian Devils in the wild. Well with that I found out that a weekly flight went over there and back the same day. I didn’t want to stay there for a week so I went to the Sydney Zoo across the bay to see my Tasmanian Devils. I had envisioned them as being larger...And I just hung around King’s Cross for a week.
I had thought that I would go back some time and try to ease out of town slowly and drive around the Out-back for a week. But I never got around to doing that. I guess that you were pretty young in 69.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Polock
United States of America

#5 Post by Polock » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 pm

Oldgunner--A lot of us were pretty young in '69!
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

Alan De Enfield
Wales

#6 Post by Alan De Enfield » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:28 am

Polock wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:43 pm
Oldgunner--A lot of us were pretty young in '69!
24's not that young.

If you can remember the 60's you weren't there !!!!!
"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over many years,

the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic". Dresden James

vandle
Australia

#7 Post by vandle » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:32 am

OLDGUNNER wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:02 am
Hi vandle – It was Xmas of 69 that I decided to go to Australia to visit Lightning Ridge to see first hand the Opal mines and buy some Opal. They would rent me a vehicle, that part was okay and I thought that I could handle the left hand driving...but then...but then, after riding in the taxis I decided that maybe, just probable, I could make a mistake at a busy intersection out of habit. So, I just went to a local Opal supply house in Sydney and bought some Opal. And then I decided that I would just go to Tasmania to see some Tasmanian Devils in the wild. Well with that I found out that a weekly flight went over there and back the same day. I didn’t want to stay there for a week so I went to the Sydney Zoo across the bay to see my Tasmanian Devils. I had envisioned them as being larger...And I just hung around King’s Cross for a week.
I had thought that I would go back some time and try to ease out of town slowly and drive around the Out-back for a week. But I never got around to doing that. I guess that you were pretty young in 69.
I was very young lol, would have just finished toilet training. :oops:

Its a lot different these days travelling in regional Australia. Lot more flights to Tassie
Looks like you spent most of your time in Sydney, you would have plenty to see and do there.
Shame you weren't able to travel to those places you wanted to go.
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#8 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 am

[attachment=0]DSC_0014.JPG[
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hi vandle – In passing, here is one of my souvenirs from Australia. I came across a Boomerang shop in Sydney that handled Joe Timbery Boomerangs. According to the shop owner this is one was his deluxe models made by Joe Timbery himself from a Acacia stump, with the grain curving from the stump into a root. One thing about it, he told me that I would have to tune it myself by heating and twisting...well Boomerang tuning was/is not one of my talents so here it sets ‘untuned’. I understand that one has to tune it right before using it, and it will untune itself by just setting there. And the cheaper ones made from Plywood are just made ‘Tuned’. I bought some of those and yes, they worked, and those I gave away. Now just why these Acacia ones can’t be filed or whatever into a tuned condition, I don’t know. I am missing something.
For those not familiar with Joe Timbery, he was WORLD FAMOUS for his Boomerang throwing.
Now vandle, here is another thing that I can’t figure out...just why Acacia Wood is not a popular rifle stock wood. I would think that it should make some of the prettiest rifle stocks and Australia could be a big supplier. Do you have any input on this? Is it that Acacia wood is not as stable as Walnut and Birch? I have some Bedroom furniture made of Acacia and it seems to be okay to me.
Attachments
DSC_0014.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#9 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:02 pm

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#10 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:47 pm

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-147886865/view
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Yes Tommy, that's funny and so true - some do and some don't. I understand the story behind the returning boomerang is that originally they were used just for hunting food and then someone decided that it would be nice if they missed the bird they would get the boomerang back more easily...makes sense to me. In that shop they had the more accurate 'non-returning' hunting Boomerangs.
Apparently Joe Timbery was 100 % Australian Aborigine...and the one he is making in the attachment just maybe, is the one I have....maybe huh???
As a kid I remember that song, as the following ones, such as the one by Sheb Wooley of the RAWHIDE cast.
And it was a little tricky in catching them when they came back, which I did learn how, with the plywood ones.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#11 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Most who don't know them assume they all come back. I remember the "curved stick with a ball on one end" (not a clue as to its real name) type. Plus Charlie is throwing it (or not) backwards IRC.

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#12 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:26 pm

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ne ... ORM=VDRVRV
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Just in passing...I was listening to some Australian music such as Slim Dusty's songs like 'A PUB WITH NO BEER'... I just think that that is real folksy music, nothing like the indistinguishable screaming and hollering of today's music. And this reminded me of the Newfoundland music when I was stationed there in 53. And I saw this video of the rough north Atlantic and the remembrance of my trip to there on the USS General Muir. The seas were actually worse than this with 50 foot waves. With a 600 foot long ship with the bow going maybe eight feet under the waves. It anchored off the coast making repairs and then the anchor motor burnt up and it took another day to change it. But I sure enjoyed those 27 months there.
As I remember that ship had the three cylinder engine that was popular at the time.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#13 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:01 pm

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
++++++++++++++++++++++++
Okay, here is a picture of a regular, non-returning boomerang, as far as I know – it is suppose to go in a more straight, predictable path...the way that I was told anyway. The guy had some there for sale and they looked like to me that they could knock the heck out you if you were hit with one.
Now as for throwing one backwards, yes I see what you mean by this....but I gather that one can throw it either way depending on just what one may wish it to do, and yes I do believe that throwing it pointing forward one can get the more usually nice return....for us beginners anyway.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#14 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:33 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomerang
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Okay - Now here is maybe more than one may wish to bother knowing about a Boomerang. This remind me of something my EX wife use to say, “Now is this something that I really have to know.” And yes, there was a whole lot that she didn’t have to know.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#15 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:46 pm

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Fa ... orm=VQFRVP
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Strictly just in passing – don’t bother if you don’t have the time. I was reminiscing about my days in Newfoundland, 53 to 55. I was in the US Air Force and lived and worked at the edge of St. Johns. I was a radio maintenance guy at the main...only, radio transmitter site for the US to Europe military radio for the first few months....just a mile north of Cabot’s Tower (WORLD FAMOUS). Then at Torbay Air Base just north of there. The people there were just the happiest people ever - with no such thing as crime. You can listen to some of the music and get the idea.
I got there just a few days before a pay day and happened to luck out and get into a card game where they didn’t really know what to do very well and I won enough to buy a car, a 38 Plymouth, 250 dollars. For the next 27 months it was nothing but really, really fun. Except maybe for the 2 months on Baffin Island...even then, that was a good experience.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”