Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SMLE Front Sight Question

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: SMLE Front Sight Question

#16 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:31 pm

Sorry I seem to have to only have one image per post.
L-E bedding.jpg

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#17 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:32 pm

My receiver as a reference.
No1 mk 1~3 stock change.JPG

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#18 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:38 pm

Turtle Farm wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:34 pm
Also, I am not sure what is meant by “inboard of the edge block” in Alan’s post. Not sure if my sight would be considered that when it looks like in that posting the sight can overhang the sight block some.
So far offset that it has actually left part of the top of the riser it fits into exposed.

Alan De Enfield
Wales

#19 Post by Alan De Enfield » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Turtle Farm wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:21 pm
After removing the front sight guard I got to looking at the sight base and I am not sure if it may be cocked over slightly. I did this unscientifically by roughly aligning the rear peep hole with the front sight while looking from the muzzle end. I thought it may need to rotate slightly to the right. I see there is a pin on the sight block. Would I be able to push that through and move the sight base over a bit?
That could well be 'it'.
Remove the rear sight and pass thru a steel bar, support the bar in two V-stands then follow the instruction from Peter Laidler.
Does it 'rock' - yes ?
Then slacken off the block band, rotate and tighten up again.
"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over many years,

the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic". Dresden James

Turtle Farm
United States of America

#20 Post by Turtle Farm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:46 pm

When I removed the stock it was not very easy to get it to slide off the receiver in the Draws area. I will look at this again and see before I put it all back together again.

Thank you for the visuals and info!

Turtle Farm
United States of America

#21 Post by Turtle Farm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:00 pm

I checked the Draws area and it appears the distance in that slot may be off by 1 mm on the left side (towards butt stock) when I measure it. Would this be enough to affect my front sight being off? Seems very minuscule to me. The stock takes a little effort to slide off the receiver there, not sure if it should normally just drop off or need a tap or tw normally.
1DBA497D-E307-4107-AD06-851066DF4821.jpeg

Turtle Farm
United States of America

#22 Post by Turtle Farm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:32 pm

If I end up needing to move the front sight base over, how is it done? I read about removing the pins and hitting on a piece of wood to move it forward. I was under the impression it may turn a little in order to get it straight on the barrel.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#23 Post by Tommy Atkins » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:07 pm

The rear of the stock is supposed to be "tight" the L-E bedding requires cam action to rotate the stock into the wedges formed by the stock geometry. To fit, or remove do not rotate, that will damage those areas. Instead tap it off parallel to the barrel with a non-marring hammer. re-attaching is the reverse slide don't turn.
Because of the 2-part stock design there's very little alignment help to make sure the stock is exactly aligned with the barrel. That's why its so important to have both the right & left interfaces as close as possible to each other. Both sides should also interact with the flat front face of the receiver's "wrist" evenly as well. Its frequently shimmed there when accurizing to ensure its actually parallel. Like I said, start with the barrel, if that isn't right you have nothing working for you. (plus its a heck of a lot easier to fix)!

Turtle Farm
United States of America

#24 Post by Turtle Farm » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:26 pm

I started putting the rifle back together today and I can slide a dollar bill under the barrel with no problems. One thing I noticed towards the muzzle where the end band is, the tiny gap between the barrel and stock is not quite even on both sides. The screwdriver tip in the photo will not fit from that point forward, however on the down side it will drop in fine. Would this make a difference with the front sight being off? Not sure if it shows well enough in the photo.
image.jpeg

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#25 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Not really if you have a clearance you're good. Unless the front contact point (the pad under the muzzle bottom center) is offset as well.
What it may indicate is a slight left<>right bias back at the rear end of the fore-stock. Thy putting a series of small, thin shims between the outside rear of the wood & the front face of the receiver wrist. Less is more use thin shim & add a bit at a time increasing thickness until the muzzle centers. Once you've got it replicate thickness with a single piece & maybe a dab of light glue to keep it in place.

Turtle Farm
United States of America

#26 Post by Turtle Farm » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:17 pm

I took the stock back off tonight and am wondering if anything may be off where the rear barrel pad is. Should the wood be flush at the tip of where the probe is pointing with that oval cut out of the wood? Not sure if this could be a problem area that could be throwing the muzzle off like I asked about in my last post.
E8F94205-61D1-41A6-B023-B38E18664E6E.jpeg

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#27 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:16 am

I'd sand the ridge down a bit. Look up to the pic of my bedded action & adjust to match. You can also see where I slightly removed material from the sides of the cut so that the bottom center did the bedding, not the bottom 1/3rd. Use the candy striped area from the earlier pic as a guide. It should be just a little wider than the weight saving cut in the wood.

Turtle Farm
United States of America

#28 Post by Turtle Farm » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:26 pm

I have did a little sanding in this area and it has not seemed to made a difference. I am only doing a little at a time and when I screw the trigger guard in the barrel looks like it keeps going where it originally was at the muzzle pad. I even smoothed that area a little also. I was hoping to see a difference. Maybe some more sanding is needed, but I don’t think there is too much more I can do. If I could see where it is rubbing on the wood that would help.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#29 Post by Tommy Atkins » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:58 am

Put some chinagraph on the metal then fit some will scrape off showing the contact points.

Turtle Farm
United States of America

#30 Post by Turtle Farm » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:25 pm

The wax pencil is a good idea and it helped me, not sure why I didn’t think of that. I didn’t have to sand too much where the receiver pad is. More from the muzzle pad, it would wobble when I would gently push on the end of the barrel. I just about have that taken care of, like there were two high places and part of the barrel was not resting on the pad. Is it possible this could have affected the front sight with the barrel moving during shooting?

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”