http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:48 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

You hear lots about a handful or calibers for distance shooting.

I don't recall anyone choosing the 8mm.

If anyone does, please share.

What factors pro & con should be considered?

Thanks.

Jay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I had a few friends that shot 8mm-06 long range when 8mm Mauser was prevalent. They would pull certain types of 7.92x57 for the powder and tips. Everyone now days seems to think they discovered 6.5mm and how accurate it can be. The 8mm can hold its own just not in fad at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:39 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Rapidrob can tell you all you need to know. He shoots it at up to 700 yards in competition.

I know bullet weight is a huge factor - 196 vs 170 grain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 pm 

I no nothing about a "tip" but I do know about bullets.
The 8x57MM JS Mauser bullet is very accurate at long range. While the 150 grain flat base does well it will have a very steep trajectory due to the drag the flat base or cupped base bullet causes. This bullet slowing down so much faster is also very wind sensitive.
The 198 Spitzer boat-tail ( stolen design from the French) is VERY accurate at long range. It bucks the wind very well and hits very hard due to the higher velocity it maintains due to the less drag.
A rifle with a very good or better bore ( better gas sealing) the standard Mauser rifle,pick one, will shoot at 800 yards about 3 MOA.
If you are lucky enough to own a "Persian Mauser" you can get 1 MOA with good ammunition or hand loads.
The 8mm bullet,spitzer or low drag Match type has one of the best BC's out there from the turn of the last century.
As a young man I was so impressed with the German surplus 198 grain rifle loads I ran a program in the then new and state of the art UNIVAC-7 computer that filled a room. The data spit out on paper tape did in fact conclude the shape,weight,diameter,speed,rifling twist was darn near perfect for a military cartridge. The Germans don't make crap when it comes to weapons and their ammo.
The data I cobbled together stayed with me all of my life until I decided to build a true "Mile Rifle" in 8mm Remington Magnum. This beast of a cartridge with today powders will push a 200 grain Spitzer Boat tailed bullet out of my 29" barrel at 3,300 fps with sub-moa accuracy. The slightly larger bullet and shape really made a difference at long range. The Germans had really done their math right.
Several of my club's members shoot 8x57 Mauser with the 198 grain surplus ammo at out 800 yard man silhouette target with most of them getting 80% plus hits with their old Mauser rifle and carbines. Recovered missed bullets that hit the dirt berm are almost always badly mangled. These bullets hit hard and true at 800 yards.
Romanian 150 grain steel cores recovered after hitting the 800 yard AR500 steel target

Here is a short Vid of Pat shooting his 8MM Siamese Mauser, a much less powerful cartridge at 800 yards. The camera is zoomed out to 1,000 m/m so you can see the target and the electronic flash I built to the left of the target 50 yards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBwwzBOb_Nk
I have vids of members shooting 8x57 Mausers as well but have not gotten permission to post them shooting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:55 pm 

OK,I can show you one more vid.
Two members are shooting. Bryan and Ted. Bryan is using my M1917 Eddystone .30-06 and my hand loads. Ted is using his Persian Mauser 8x57MM with a 198 grain Privi Partizan Spitzer boat tail bullet and his hand loads.
Look closely at the mirage,the wind is moving at a good 15 mph and gusting to almost 20 and was pushing the bullets off center to the left.
Notice the dirt kicked up and the splatter from the hits. The 8MM is really throwing out a cloud of shrapnel.
Ted was at a slight disadvantage due to the placement of the rear sight but as you will see he was able to get onto target after a few shots.Flight time is right around 3/4 of a second for the 800 yard target.
The cameras shutter is not always fast enough to catch the strobe's flash. You can see the target move and the "splash" of the bullets when they hit the steel target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY13oYmdX7k#t=114.361451

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:58 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Yeah, I was gonna say "Yes, I do", then I saw the vids of these guys shooting at 800 yards... MY K98k, Yugos, and Turk Mauser do fine at what I'd call longer ranges- 500-600 meters with the standard mil sights. Can consistently hit man-size torso at 300 meters but that's not a big deal with modern rifles. With my aging eyes it's not too bad :)