http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Most of my Milsurp collection has been sporterized at one point or another. If possible, I try to bring them back to their military configuration. If not possible, I just enjoy them for what they are.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:20 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

I sure have.
But I got a rule.
Never pay more then $5 for a bubbaed milsurp.
Got a bunch of them that way. Most are used for parts or to make another Bubba.

Once I convince the moron that it now has Zero collector or historic value of any kind, I offer him 500 times the scrap steel price for it.
Scrap price in a few pounds of steel is about a penny.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

When I bought my son his first Mauser, an 1893/1916 pattern II it lasted 1 season, as the chamber was generously
oversized (splitting 1/2 the cases fired) it has since been re-barrelled, still in 7x57 Mauser. No regrets it has been reborn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

This is a great thread. Show off the rifles that most people would otherwise ignore.

At one time I had a Schmidt-Rubin that I bought sporterized. But it is long gone to help the purchase of a K-31. But I guess it didn't happen, because I do not have pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Here is the 1916 mauser I picked up last weekend for $120, this picture was taken the day I got it, it's had some minor work done to it since then. It's missing the fornt sight, both the trigger guard screws (it's held together with a bolt that fits the threads great though), and it had a problem with the trigger not dropping the striker when pulled, but the bore is near perfect. It also had some solder on the bottom of the barrel, I will tell what happened with that, and what I plan to do with this rifle in the post I make about it in a few days, I am waiting to get the parts in before I shoot it and write up a post. On a side note, the stock cleaned up nicely and turned out to have some nice figure, so I will probably leave it as it is now.

Attachments:
15356098_732303943591306_1460140562_n.jpg
15356098_732303943591306_1460140562_n.jpg [ 105.54 KiB | Viewed 1825 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Hummm
A 1916 with a Ladder rear sight...neat!!!
The solder would have held the front sight on!!
They are available nearly anywhere..
I kinda like it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:30 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

racepres wrote:
Hummm
A 1916 with a Ladder rear sight...neat!!!
The solder would have held the front sight on!!
They are available nearly anywhere..
I kinda like it!!!

I knew I left something out, the solder was on the bottom of the barrel about 4" from the muzzle, I don't think it was holding the sight on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:28 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I suppose I walked right past that one at the Show in Cave City???
Anyway, ya got me stumped with solder 4" from the [shortened] muzzle...
I gotta study that one...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:07 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

The barrel looks like it may have been trimmed slightly, oddly it looks like it was done before the front sight was removed and the finish on the end of the muzzle matches the rest of the gun, so I can't say if it was cut before it came into the country or not. And I got this from a buddy, I have not been to a gun show for 2 years now, I find better deals and better guns outside of them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:08 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

ghostdevilguy wrote:
I have not been to a gun show for 2 years now, I find better deals and better guns outside of them.

That's how it is down in my part of Alabama.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:57 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Yup. A fin capture 91-30, it has a rubber butt plate and a hole by the muzzle in the counterbore that I'm assuming they used for a compensator.

The rifle had a Finnish 3 piece sling on it which was worth more than I paid for the gun.

It's one of my more fun rifles, the trigger was even reworked.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Not remembering anything between the time of purchase till sitting at home with the weapon in hand,
a mad female,
and an influx of ammo purchases.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I bought a couple CG-63's (target rifles built off of Swede 1896 recvrs with competition sights added and restocked) if that counts as "sportered". They should be some sweet shooters.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

A Finn issue Carcano I found in a pawn shop. I wasn't really interested in a Carcano, and almost skimmed right over it until I saw that SA stamp. Chopped stock, rubber but pad, and a garand sling with some really crude sling swivels screwed in. The sling is earmarked for my 1917 because I don't like 1907 or Kerr styles, I burned that stock and rebuilt it to original shape. Still looking for a SA marked Carcano sling but it looks surprisingly good in a Chicom SKS sling for now.
If you mean keeping and using it in Sporters shape I wouldn't turn away a Bannerman Mosin

Attachments:
14818471421771950489186.jpg
14818471421771950489186.jpg [ 357.76 KiB | Viewed 1632 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I've owned several sporterized M1903 Springfields. All had been converted to target rifles for use in "match rifle" as opposed to "service rifle" class.

The bottom rifle is on a M1903A3 receiver in a laminated prone stock (maker unknown), with a Dayton-Traister trigger and an Obermeyer barrel in 7.62 x 51. When I bought it it was wearing a 24X Redfield 3200 scope which now resides on my wifes 40X F-class smallbore rifle.

The upper rifle is very interesting. It is on a M1903A4 receiver, in a Marksman style stock (maker unknown), Canjar trigger, heavy barrel (maker unknown) in .308 cal. I know some provenance on this rifle. It was owned by a Col. Gayle Bahr. He was from Mississippi. The following is from a gent who knew Col. Bahr:

"I had the privilege of knowing Col. Bahr. He lived in Hernando Mississippi and was the founder of the Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club. He was a High Master in rifle and pistol I believe. I remember one of his Highpower Rifles as a Springfield Action that had been barreled and built by Boots Obermeyer. He shot a Winchester 52 in our prone smallbore matches. He and his wife also shot trap and skeet as I recall. He was a retired Air Force officer and a banker after that. He was a first class gentleman."

Attachment:
RS1000W_M1903_MATCH_RIFLES_1.jpg
RS1000W_M1903_MATCH_RIFLES_1.jpg [ 139.68 KiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

This one is a WW2 vintage M1903 converted to a "poor man's match rifle" by the addition of Lyman sights front and rear and a 'C' stock. The story was it was built as a personal rifle by a military team shooter.

Attachment:
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG [ 1.49 MiB | Viewed 1564 times ]

I know many think this is sacrilege but back in the 50s and 60s Springfields were a dime a dozen. All in all this was not a bad fate for them.

“Successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next