http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:02 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Have you ever knowingly bought a sporterized Milsurp? Why? Photos?

I have a Spanish (Carbine, Short Rifle, Musketoon) not sure what to call it now on the way (Photos and range report to follow). It is one of the ones talked about on this web site:

http://masterton.us/Odds_and_Ends

It is like the photos labeled OE4 and OE5 (The Mannlicher stocked looking one).

For me, as Frank would say it "talked" to me. Frank may also say that they ALL talk to me but that is a different post.

The auction only had four photos and this description:
Background - When Interarms purchased the entire SCW rifle inventory from Spain in the late 50's, the US market was flooded with huge numbers of cheap, war weary, abused and neglected Model 1916 Mauser 1893's in 7x57 mauser. In order to expand the market to attract more high end retailers [like Sears], a select number of examples were rebuilt and converted to a more commercially attractive offering. This rifle is one such conversion. This rifle on offer has the following modification characteristics: 1] First, a brand new un-issued arsenal replacement stock was selected; 2] The barrel was cut back from 29 to 22 inches, re-crowned, and the original front sight reinstalled, 3] The stock was cut back to match the barrel and the original nose piece cleverly modified and reinstalled so as to provide a Manlicher silhouette configuration; 4] A virtually new and unnumbered replacement bolt was provided. The condition of the components are: 1] Stock is totally free of ANY imperfections WHATSOEVER --Remains MINT condition with NO dings or scratches; 2] Arsenal re-blue is complete and in very good overall condition--- no evidence of any past corrosion; 3] Bore has pronounced rifling with relatively bright lands and dark groves.

Not sure why I pulled the trigger on this one but I did and I hope it is a good shooter. I might carry it deer hunting.

So what are your stories?

Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

All the time.
I don't Bubba them.
I get one that already has been...Cheaper, and no Remorse!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:47 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

What racepres said---get to play with some stuff that I could not otherwise afford. Same reason
I bought some of the CAI black rifle clones--

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Yes, once and by choice in 1984. A Winchester US Model 1917 that had been crudely hacked and thrown in a barely finished
but beautiful walnut stock with a genuine ebony forend tip, blued steel butt plate and pistol grip cap. There were still hacksaw
marks on the receiver where the ears had been cut off. A really nice Redfield peep sight was installed and a brass bead ramp
front sight had been silver soldered to the end of the barrel but off center. There was spotty cold blue used to cover the
bare spots. I didn't care because between the $65 price and the condition of the barrel I knew it was a diamond in the rough.
This was a 20's or 30's time period conversion of a post war unissued rifle which is a December 1918 build.

I was looking for a 30-06 to hunt with, but with me being me no out of the box brand new rifle would make me happy. So I started
my search but didn't find anything. I nearly bought a Madsen but it was too overpriced so I kept looking. Fate brought me
upstate to Numrich back when they still had a walk-in retail store which by the way was a candy store for any milsurp nut.
The store is long gone now and the building was condemned and slated to be torn down last I saw back in February of this year.

I used that rifle exactly as it was for years and took several deer with it. Time passed and my eyes started to go so I decided it was
time to put a scope on it. Not having the money to send it to a smith to have the receiver contoured for scope mounts I smoothed and
blued it myself and put on a weaver side mount. There have been several incarnations of this rifle from the way I bought it then fully refinished
the original stock then into a high comb sporter stock for the scope which I pillar and glass bedded. I ended up with a home built sub MOA accurate milsurp.

Now it's back in a beautiful M1917 full military stock. The stock came on a P14 I bought a year or so back which I have since put
into a proper P14 stock. I currently have a Weaver K3-60B scope on it that I bought from Gunbuff58. It looks so right I have to correct
people as to what it is when they see it. By not having a front sight on it guys at the range constantly mistake it for an '03-A4!

One day I will do a write-up with pictures on my Frankensniper. I refer to it as a tribute to the US sniper rifle that never was,
the US Model 1918. So there is my only experience with knowingly buying a sporterized milsurp and it's been a fun ride so far. - Bill

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:46 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Yes.
It was a sported Lee Enfield "Jungle Carbine".
It had been (well refinished blued) & the bayonet lug ground off.
I got it for a song because it wasn't "collectable".
It had the original stock, but internally butchered so I got some sporter wood as well.
Its actually one of my favorite rifles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:32 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

Most recently, a nicely done Swede m38 carbine, priced to sell. http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic. ... 3&t=147179

--Prof

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Yep, I just picked up a sporter 1916 spanish mauser in 7mm for $120. It's had the stock cut down, the trigger was causing some problems (funny enough I just picked up a stripped 1916 receiver as well, it came with a trigger and after swaping triggers it works), and it's missing the front sight and trigger guard screws, but the bore is almost perfect. I was going scope it and use it as a cheap trunk rifle, but I have a feeling that I am going to end up doing a lot more work on it depending on how it shoots, I have a few rounds for it but I am waiting to get the mising parts in the mail before I shoot it.

Last edited by ghostdevilguy on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:20 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Oh Yea...Pictures

One of the first ones I purchased..late '80's I think!!

Had a Stock whose Ugliness was only surpassed by the Cobble job of a bolt handle!!!
Extremely cheezy scope too!!
I have been enjoying this one ever since...perhaps my favorite..Maybe!
I have a M48 in 308, that is Very cool, and am still working on a Turk!!! The Stock Sucks!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:08 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Ya, but to restore them at 2x to 3x the cost of an intact specimen. But then they are back to there former glory. No drill and taps , cut barrels or missmatched bolts. I like the bring backs where the farm boy just cut the stock and got rid of some metal. An easy restore, but parts are getting out of sight :shhh: :shhh: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

72 usmc wrote:
Ya, but to restore them at 2x to 3x the cost of an intact specimen. But then they are back to there former glory. No drill and taps , cut barrels or missmatched bolts. I like the bring backs where the farm boy just cut the stock and got rid of some metal. An easy restore, but parts are getting out of sight :shhh: :shhh: :roll: :roll:

If they have Not been Drilled and Tapped, or other Abuses..I would consider a restoration, and have.
I actually seek D&T receivers to fullfill my "Sporter Dreams"...
I agree...the ones where only the Wood has been tampered with are Nicest!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:43 am 
Match Winner
Match Winner

One of our local pawn shops has a sporterized R. FAMAGE Colombian arsenal refurb (in 30.06). Cut-down stock, drilled and tapped. No bases or rings. I was thinking about buying that one when the sporter Swede jumped out at me. Now I think I'll let it go.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:56 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I haven't but am toying with a couple of them. One is a bubb'ad m24 Yugo--the original before the refurb that produced the 24/47.

This one has been drilled and tapped for an aperture sight and the stock was cut down. Bore looks rough, though. They want too much, but I've thought of shooting out an offer low enough that I could have it rebarreled halfway economically if it didn't shoot well.

I could envision it being a rain rifle, maybe even one in 358 Winchester with a rebarrel.

The second is a gun I've seen an ad for--a 1901 swede with a cut down barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I recently acquired a sporterized M1917. From what I can find out it's probably a 50"s era professional conversion. I've always admired the quality and cartridge of the M1917 rifle. To find one already converted for less than the cost of a modern plastic wonder was just too good to pass up. :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:39 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Wards Model 91 Sporterized by Kodiak Arms North Haven CT...

Barrel shortened and recrowned, forestock shortened, bolt handle bent down and back, cleaning-rod hole plugged, sold in late 50s & early 60s for $15-$20, at Monkey Wards, Sears, Woolworth's, Western Auto, Walgreens Drugs, and many others. Kodiak did a pretty good job on the rifles.

When I was 15 yrs old, my 'Ol East Texas Farmer Daddy took me to Longview to buy my first "deer gun".

We looked several places, the Army/Navy store, the local hardware store, the feed store, but wound up at Monkey Wards where these rifles were displayed in a 30 gallon galvanized trash can... They were all in pristene condition, my Dad helped me pick out one... I paid the $16.99, put the rifle on my shoulder and walked out the door... It served me well in my effort to lessen the white-tail/hog population of East Texas...

But, life happens, and a few years later I married, had kids, and during one of those periods of needing a little extra money I sold the rifle.

Been mad at myself ever since...

But, about two years ago, I was at an estate sale and the lady showed me this rifle... It is exactly like the one I bought in Monkey Wards so many years ago... I asked "how much?" and didn't even argue when she said $250...

It is a beautiful rifle... the workmanship/fit and finish is about as good as you will ever find.

Attachments:
IMG_4503.JPG
IMG_4503.JPG [ 249.73 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
IMG_4502.JPG
IMG_4502.JPG [ 315.25 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
IMG_4438.JPG
IMG_4438.JPG [ 220.49 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
IMG_4432.JPG
IMG_4432.JPG [ 247.81 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
IMG_4433.JPG
IMG_4433.JPG [ 228.59 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

And now for the "rest of the story"...

I took the rifle to the range, let my "Sweetie" shoot it, and she now considers it her rifle.

So I had to buy another for myself... found it on GunBroker... Almost cried when I had to pay $125 + $25 shipping.

Attachments:
IMG_4819.JPG
IMG_4819.JPG [ 225.13 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
IMG_4818.JPG
IMG_4818.JPG [ 168.58 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
IMG_4815.JPG
IMG_4815.JPG [ 279.37 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]
91_Argentine_Wards_01.jpg
91_Argentine_Wards_01.jpg [ 164.75 KiB | Viewed 783 times ]