http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:03 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Here are pics of the latest addition to the long gun collection the original bolt gun.

Anyone who can shed light on the Prussian unit marking please feel free to enlighten me.

I had to do some work to get the bolt action acceptable. The wood, barrel, and receiver all match but the bolt is from another gun.

I now have both players from the Franco/Prussian war, the French Chassepot needle rifle and the M1862 Dreyse Needle rifle (zundnadelgewehr)

So here is my solution to making paper cartridges for the Dreyse Zundnadelgewehr.

These are the mandrels that I made from 5/8" steel bar to create the papier Mache sabot for the 62mm lead ball the I used for the cartridge.

I used 65 grains of Pyrodex. I originally tried 60 grains of Pyrodex but that seemed pretty mild so I went up 5 grains. The cap is inserted into the end of the sabot. The cartridge sleeve is created with 92 lb computer paper inner layer and onion skin parchment paper outer layer. In goes the powder, in goes the sabot, in goes the lead ball, and finally a twist and tie and you have it.

Now if you think this is labor and time consuming you would be correct. Only a few idiots such as myself do it but then again if you want to be the only person at the range shooting such a weapon that is what is required

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:34 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

:thumb: :thumb: Very Nice!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:18 pm 

107th Infantry Regt...Reserve.

Dale

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:24 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Wow, that's dedication! :)

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon