http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mitchells Mausers
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

So, Ive been out of the loop for some time now. Does Mitchells Mausers deserve all the hate that I have seen here and there? Has anything changed recently? I dont want to start bad things here and by all means if Im out of line please inform me. But could someone enlighten me.

-
If your gonna fight, fight like your the third monkey on the ramp of Noahs ark,....... and brother its starting to rain.
-

Post subject: Re: Mitchells Mausers
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:22 am 
Match Winner
Match Winner

You might want to hit the "search" button below the banner and type in "mitchells mausers." You'll find posts going back perhaps as far as a decade or more on them.

I've held a few of them and they are very nice looking rifles (their K98's that is), I'll give them that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:02 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

all the hate that is generated by stick up their butts "collectors" who see it as sacrilegious to make a rifle that doesn't look like it was dragged down a gravel road. these same people also get their panties all in a knot when someone refinishes a stock on their own rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:24 am 
Match Winner
Match Winner

It's their way of how they market their rifles... that is what generates the hate. They take their imported surplus rifles and refinish the stocks, polish the bolts and blue the smaller parts. Upon reassembly they then they claim that the rifles were part of a hidden cache somewhere (with no proof) in some hidden cave in Timbucktu. They feel a stupid story justifies their higher prices on a typical rifle that's been refinished while they lie that they are 100% original. If they were honest and sold them for what they are, this would not even be a "thing". You wouldn't buy Vasily Zaytsev's PU rifle that he used against Ed Harris in 1946 for $20k would you? If so, I have 2 to sell.

With all surplus, buy the rifle and not the story.

With that in mind, I don't knock their rifles, because they are what they are. Personally, I own 1 M48 Mitchell Mauser and it is one of best looking rifles I own. It shoots well, and is on par with any other M48 I own and misses just the same. Just because it is clean and shiny doesn't make it any more accurate. At the time I purchased mine, I was willing to pay the premium for a cleaned up rifle. I even forgot the BS story they pitched to me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:50 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

shhh: :shifty: :snooty: :think: :think:
For shooters they are great. Mitchells generally selected the best bore for their rebuilds, and no cracked stocks. They make a surplus rifle shine like new and even put matching fake serial numbers and stamps on them and wish they were the real thing. But they are no better than a firm like Santa Fe or Navy Arms that make replica look-a-likes or sporters out of surplus rifles. Unfortunately, unlike the other firms, they hump them as "recently found or unissued" Mausers/ Mosins and demand very, very high prices at the time they were sold. I would rather have a 1950s-60s sporter done by a well know gunsmith that will hold its value as well as shoot like a tack driver for a shooter. Or a nice Santa Fe sporter. So the collector of military goodies that wants an original dragged in the mud behind a jeep, oil soaked, dented and beat stock rifle and hates the idea that the originality of the firearm-- its history-- is destroyed in the "make it pretty rebuild." Give me an old Turk mauser. :D I also never buy refinished rifles unless I got an original finish stock to dump the action in. Refinish a military rifle, and value goes down in the mind of a military collector. Most like bring back papers and no import marks on their collector pieces. Reblue a luger and darken the grips and see what its worth :lol: :lol: Maybe put your SSN on its side and see how its value climbs :violin: Now watch out for original fakes- lots of nice intact put togethers that are faked. Fake stock stamps, Fake fonts on matching numbers. Almost as bad as Mitchell :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Now a shooter or hunter could give a rip :wink: , what he or she likes is a great bore and muzzle with a matching bolt that headspaces. So its value is in the goal of the owner. As a shooter, maybe a like new rebuild is what they want? But they do not hold the value one paid when it comes to resale. Ya, :think: :think: :think: read on. I have never seen a Mitchell at a show ever sell for what it originally cost until lately due to crazy price increases. Who would think a common $49 Mosin would sell for $200-279 in 2016. So if you got a Mitchell in 2006, you may actually be able to break even. Collectors do not want or even consider them at shows, so you got a few shooters or hunters looking for a deal to pick up a nice toy to fire. The problem there is that there are a lot better hunting rifles and better shooters at lower costs. Hence, resale price and demand is low on a Mitchell.
:idea: :arrow: So do a search and you got thousands of "why they are bad news" posts from collectors. You will find a few positives from hunters and more positive reports from shooters. You are getting a like new rifle at a Mount Everest top price. :lol: :lol: But then there are nuts that pay $200 for a BB pistol replica :dance: :dance: :oops:

So ask yourself what is the goal... and choose wisely.
http://www.mauser.org/

Interesting :shifty: :shifty: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwMBwNGdoEc

Give me a Santa Fe, a sporter, a BB replica, heck, even an airsoft replica-- but NEVER, never, a Mitchell :shhh: :shhh:
It would be like bed bugs in your gun room :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

To sum up the above, if you want a pretty refinished parts rifle with excellent mechanicals and faked stamps, Mitchell sells them at a premium over what you could likely do yourself.....but they are pretty and require no effort on the buyer's part.

I've refurbished a number of clunkers to a standard that they would have been acceptable for issue. I don't believe in keeping a trashed rifle trashed for the sake of some supposed history....particularly when that condition is the result of poor storage and handling and not honest field use.....poor storage is a history I'd prefer not to preserve. That said, taking an honestly used rifle and making it "unissued" in appearance is just wrong in my book, but to each their own.

What the real rub here is the deceit behind what they are doing and the story they try to sell. I don't believe in rewarding those that lie with my business (or my vote for that matter). I've written off a few of the big vendors for telling big lies. Yes I might have missed some deals in the process, but so what? It isn't like I "need" another military rifle. I just don't like the idea of knowingly buying a lie.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:25 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

It's the deceit. Then the repetition of the lie that Mitchell originally told. Lies travel much faster than the truth.

A Mitchell Mauser is a pretty looking rifle that has no more value than a home sporterized rifle. In a collector's eyes as long as the sporterized rifle only had work done to the stock it is worth more than a Mitchell's Mauser.

As far as destroying history I personally do not agree with it. Where Mitchell's gets the rifles from I do not know, but once they refinish them or add stamps to them they have destroyed a piece of history.

I do not take as Hardline of a stance as some collectors do. I see no problem with trying to track down the correct numbered bolt or adding the correct parts to a rifle that is missing them. An easy rifle to do this for is the Type 99 Arisaka.

I have a 1st Series Nagoya that I have tracked down the correct series aircraft sights, cleaning rod, muzzle cover, monopod and dust cover. The dust cover does not match and neither does the bolt so I still search for the correct ones. It could take a lifetime, but it is a fun little side project. I have had the Hardline collectors tell me this is wrong too. I respect their opinion.

At the end of the day it comes down to the owners opinion on what they are going to do with their rifle. I see nothing wrong with presenting your opinion and hoping they change theirs. Personally I hope no one buys anything from Mitchell's Mausers and they go out of business.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:50 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

They were selling a recent manufacture Mauser military styled short carbine that could be had in .30-06 or .308.
They were selling it as a WW2 era rifle but rather as a new built rifle made by the same company that made rifles in WW2 and the Soviet era (Yugoslavian?), new from the ground up. The price was pretty hefty, far more than you'd expect to pay for almost any milsurp rifle.
Had the price been more within reason I'd have bought one. Funny thing the .30-06 version was a lot cheaper than the .308 version.
A very nice looking blond wood stocked carbine similar to the various police carbines made by Mauser and FN.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:25 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

SavageShooter wrote:
Funny thing the .30-06 version was a lot cheaper than the .308 version.

The Long tapered '06 case feeds easier than trying to get a short fat [relatively] case to feed in a Military style Mauser action...They don't always just Plug and Play!!!