http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

If mine could talk I'd chuck them in a blast furnace.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

HighlyAdaptive wrote:
I ask this since I have a few mosins with quite a few dings and battle scars. Does it freak any of you guys out that your rifle may have killed some combatant or civilians?

I was in one safe the other day and was wondering how many bodies are on the rifles in there. Some have been through 2 world wars plus dozens of smaller wars. It doesn't freak me out. It just makes me think how far we have come and we are still killing each other.

Last edited by Hammerdown on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Kind of an interesting idea, but If a guy carried the same rifle for a significant period, could DNA be recovered?? I know most of my collector buddies try to clean up and remove the dirt and grime on the wood, but someday could this be used to actually identify at least to an ethnic group or even more defined identification? With that thought other than an good wipedown I've kept some of my milsurps as received. I handled a Marlin 30 30 the other day with a definite worn mark on the left side of the wrist that indicated a left hand on the trigger and an similar, dirty worn area on the fore end. The breach was pitted from being carried too. That old gun must have put alot of meat on the table.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:36 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

A weapon, tool, artifact that can shoot, ect. has never freaked me out. My first surp was a 1909 Danzig Kar 98, and was given to me by my grandfather. At that time I thought about the irony of what it was made for and the fact that it ended up in the hands of some kid in the US many years later as a cheap handy deer shooter.

The only one that came close to freaking me out was while refinishing a Mauser stock I had to deal with a great deal of shrapnel embedded in the stock. I felt sorry for the poor soldier that had that rifle weather he made it or not. My wife collects and shoots also. She dose not like pistols with dirty birds, but has no problem with a carbine that has seen a few dirty wars both US and not. Go figure.

Cheers Hess

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:17 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

You could apply Luminol and see what shows up. My M1886 M93 has three serial numbers stamped on the receiver, two of which are lined out. It's a mixmaster, probably thrown together with parts retrieved from the battlefield. My M1892 carbine has a German bayonet lug in place of the proper French one-it was probably used by occupation forces.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Believe in it or not, my wife is a sensative. While we are at gun shows there are some rifles, pistols or surplus items she cannot handle due to the sorrow she feels connected to that item. One in particular made her laugh as she said at one point in time the individual doing inspection arms hit himself in the head with his own rifle.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:03 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I love learning all I can of the history on my guns. My favorite is my Finn m39. The receiver was made in Tula Russia in 1896, served in WW1, and wound up in Hungarian inventory postwar before getting sold to Finland. Trigger guard is also marked with I believe a Serbian C but there's no telling if that trigger guard was with the rest of the rifle then.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:48 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Quote:
Do you ever wonder about the history of your rifle?

have several milsurplus firearms. and no, I never wondered about their history.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:44 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Izzytok46 wrote:
I love learning all I can of the history on my guns. My favorite is my Finn m39. The receiver was made in Tula Russia in 1896, served in WW1, and wound up in Hungarian inventory postwar before getting sold to Finland. Trigger guard is also marked with I believe a Serbian C but there's no telling if that trigger guard was with the rest of the rifle then.

That stuff fascinates me too. The Finn rifles (yep I collect em too, they are my favorite mosin) certainly have been around and have an interesting history.

I have an old Chinese Rifle (a Han Yang) which is a Chinese copy of a GEW and was made in the 30's at a government arsenal. Apparently it fell into the hands of the commies during or after the Chinese Revolution and from the cartouches on the stock which are all in Chinese it ended up as a second string rifle at a local militia.

Like the most recent chinese SKS's going around at the online dealers which were sold to Albania back in the day so were allowed to be imported because they spent so much time in Albania they are not considered as Chinese for import reasons.

I like the Swiss rifles for that aspect too. On some of them you can find the soldier tag (who it was issued to in what unit) and on some the soldier even took the rifle home when he retired from service and the rifle is marked accordingly. I have some examples of each. That stuff really interests me.

I like to study the history of the rifle, where its been and what road it traveled to get to me. That often involves learning some new military history, or a new language and also some geography.

Those old rifles can talk to you and teach you a thing or two if you take the time to listen. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have a k31 with a troop ID tag in it. I researched the info a little but made no progress so I hid it back away. It would be interesting to know the story, but maybe I shouldn't. Has anyone on here tracked down the name on a tag? If so, what were the results?