http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Two words that should never be in the same sentence. Am I the only man here that has went to move a rifle w/bayonet attached (she is a no1mkIII) to vacuum and poked a hole in the man cave ceiling tile? Here's the best part, Tis not the first time,there are two others...LOL...in my defense the ceiling is only 7'2"....Upside,I have ceiling tiles here,down side,there is very little room to work..
Refuse to believe that I am the only guy here,in this warped milsurp collecting world that has done this. Tell your tale....Larry

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

felixmophandle wrote:
Two words that should never be in the same sentence. Am I the only man here that has went to move a rifle w/bayonet attached (she is a no1mkIII) to vacuum and poked a hole in the man cave ceiling tile? Here's the best part, Tis not the first time,there are two others...LOL...in my defense the ceiling is only 7'2"....Upside,I have ceiling tiles here,down side,there is very little room to work..
Refuse to believe that I am the only guy here,in this warped milsurp collecting world that has done this. Tell your tale....Larry

You're not the only one, Larry. I've done it with both a Mosin and a Turk Mauser. I'll set a molly and hook and hang a plant from it :whistle:
~Jim

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:51 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Never done that, but I did stick a 102" CB antenna in one once! #-o

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I feel your pain. I nailed the drywall with one once.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:35 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Did you proclaim "En Garde"! :dance:

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:46 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I took out 4 acoustic tiles once with my 1909 Argy's muzzle in a finished basement thankfully with no damage to the rifle.
Got them where all 4 met, never could have hit that exact spot if I was really trying.
They must have been a pain to fix because it was far from any edges but I wouldn't know, it was a house we rented when we were first married.
Hey we got our security deposit back so they must not have noticed it. - Bill

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

You guys realize that this is one of the only places that a man can put ceilling tiles and bayonets in the same sentence and receive a "yea,it happens" response. Bring it up at the next social function you attend,when you are feeling crowded and want some space "and they all moved away" Arlo Guthery..........................

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Never had it happen tome, but then my old farmhouse has 9 1/2 foot ceilings! On the other hand walking through the back yard with one on my shoulder no clothesline is safe.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:47 pm 

Rule #1 rifle with bayonet attached is never to be held above port arms while in doors.
It also helps to have a wood ceiling in the man cave.

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:29 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

No ceiling tiles in this WWII arms boom basement, but I have bumped the joists a few times!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:57 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

felixmophandle wrote:

If those are suspended tiles..no problem. Any way you look at it bayonet holes are easier to excuse than ROUND holes. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:16 pm 

Two words-ceiling fan.

Load and shoot: 6.5mm (Dutch, Jap., Carcano, Swede), 7x57, 7.35 Carcano, 7.5mm (Mas, Swiss), 303 British, 7.65x53, 7.7 Jap, 7.62x51, 30-06, 8x50R & 8x52R Siamese, 30-40 Krag, 8x57, 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 8x 56R, 30 Carbine, 450/577 Martini

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:12 pm 
Match Winner
Match Winner

tired bear wrote:
Any way you look at it bayonet holes are easier to excuse than ROUND holes. :thumb:

This.

--Prof

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:53 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

"Ceiling fan"! Those words made me laugh. Luckily I have no personal experience with them and a rifle sporting a bayonet.

However, my 91/30 provided me with an excellent opportunity to think on my feet. I was messing around with the rifles: I had a nice little pile of them leaning here and there while I organized the safe and surrounding environs. At a certain moment I was presented with my 91/30 and its bayonet--both against the north wall. Naturally I had to determine whether this particular bayonet fit this 91/30 or my SCW one. It fit, so that was good.

Then, the cat decided to leap up on my desk where bayos in scabbards were lying. They began to slide, as I held the 91/30--really now a long spear. As I reached to catch the falling 1917 cut down butcher blade k98 bayo, the tip of the 91/30 bayo somehow penetrated the crown molding.

Luckily the molding there is white. I cursed. My wife asked, "What's wrong." I say, "Cat." Then I hustled to the bathroom, got some toothpaste on my finger, and filled the hole. As I was removing the 91/30 bayo, in walks my wife. There sat the cat amid the bayos. "Wretched cat," says my wife. "Yep," says I.

The toothpaste is still there. When we paint that room again, I have to make sure I'm the prep guy...

CDFingers

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

No bayonet holes, but one from a tizon broadsword and another from the front sight of a 1985 Mauser long rifle. Also a dent from the tip end of a long bow.
The ceilings in the addition to the house are much lower than the near 9 foot ceilings in the much older main part of the house, so its easy to forget theres not as much clearance as I'm used to.

PS
Almost forgot the large hole from a Champagne cork, that was a doozy.
Bigger than the rest put together in fact. Too big to ignore, I patched it right then and forgot about it. The cork may still be up there in the insulation.

I'd hoped to tear out those low ceilings with their flimsy tiles and install more sturdy sheet rock with a bit more clearance.
I think those old tiles might have asbestos in them anyway.