http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

That's very interesting. I never would have thought of using a brass screw. I've been using the brass crown lapping tool from Brownell's, which does work very well.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I read about using a brass screw in an old edition of 'GUN KINKS', written by Bob Brownell. The screw slot seems to hold lapping compound fairly well. If it doesn't fix the problem you're not out much. Then the next step would be seeking out a smithy to recrown your barrel.

dz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:41 am 
I did this on my old 10/22 and it took it from a shotgun pattern at 50' to a tight group that obliterated the center of the target...incredible difference in accuracy where I was thinking the sights were off or something drastic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Im going to try this on my Mosin M44 and post the berfore and after pics. Thanks
Before -

Attachments:
File comment: The 3 #1's on the target represent the first time I shot it a couple weeks ago.
M44 2.JPG
M44 2.JPG [ 2.37 MiB | Viewed 5962 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I thought the buckmark had a recessed crown? the BMRifle.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Yes there's a recessed crown, but this was a used rifle and somewhere in it's early life the bore got dinged. See the shiny spot about twelve o'clock? My guess is that the original owner didn't bother to remove the barrel and clean it from the breach and the muzzel took a hit. The other pic shows how I was able to polish the ding away. Actually I touched it up some more at the range after a test firing. This is a real fun little rifle, especially if your left handed.

dz

Attachments:
File comment: Here it's about 90% better. After test firing, I ground on it a little more. Now the rifle's fine.
DSCN3914.JPG
DSCN3914.JPG [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 5939 times ]
File comment: grind, grind, grind...
DSCN3910.JPG
DSCN3910.JPG [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 5939 times ]
File comment: see the ding?
DSCN3915.JPG
DSCN3915.JPG [ 1.63 MiB | Viewed 5939 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I think it works. The fifth shot was the low one. May have been barrel heat...

Attachments:
M44 3.JPG
M44 3.JPG [ 2.27 MiB | Viewed 5888 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I think you're getting fairly average results for shooting a Mosin/Nagant with irons... especially if you're not shooting a handload developed for this particular rifle. Bullet sizes and groove diameters on those old Russian rifles and their surplus ammo are generally all over the place.

dz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:47 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

very cool!!! I have a couple of muzzle crowns that could use some tlc.

Carl Jung

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:51 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Great post. I will have to try.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks for this thread. I just did this exact procedure on a Win pre '64 Mod 70. The crown had a noticeable nick on it, so I got the brass screw and only I used JB Bore paste. It really help out a lot. I used the drill going clockwise and then in reverse. You can definitely see the lands and the grooves being more defined at the crown. We shall see how she shoots when I take her out to the range.

Thanks,

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Many thanks for posting this thread to TheSarge!!
I tried this technique with success on my K98 crown!! :thumb:

Attachments:
IMG-20121209-01298.jpg
IMG-20121209-01298.jpg [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 5016 times ]

Carl Jung

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:10 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I saw this once in an air-gun forum. It never made a difference on my air rifle (A Crossman 1077) but I tried it on a Carcano.
It made a lot of difference - cut the groups from a foot to inches at 100 yds. It made me a believer in crowns!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:36 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks TheSarge! I pretty much followed your guide step by step, including the scotchbrite pads. I have some pics on my phone of how it turned out. Gotta say, the crown on my mosin is lookin sharp! No burrs and it really came out nice. Hopefully it tightens up my grouping some. Only thing I did alittle different is that I used water based lapping compound. It wasn't as "goopy" as the grease based but it stuck to the end of the screw quite well. Very gritty graphite and it did the job. Cant wait to get her out to the range!

Thanks again! =D>

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:18 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

In the video from Midway USA with Larry Potterfield (referenced earlier in this thread), he uses a fine flat file to square off and remove pitting at the muzzle before lapping the crown. I guess you could check accuracy before and after lapping alone before resorting to the more aggressive approach of filing. If someone has really gone after the crown with a steel cleaning rod and buggered it up, you can always file it later, and lap the crown again.

It's easy to remove metal, but difficult to put it back.

Frequently wrong, never in doubt!