Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Sterling Sporters

Ned Christiansen
United States of America

Sterling Sporters

#1 Post by Ned Christiansen » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:51 pm

Anybody have one of these? Semi-autos made from Sterling L3 submachinegun kits, by Wise-Lite Arms? I've been working with one a little and it is kinda interesting and different as PCC's (Pistol Caliber Carbines) go. Far from great, not bloody awful, just different and I think, not terribly common.

cwo4uscgret
United States of America

Re: Sterling Sporters

#2 Post by cwo4uscgret » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:57 pm

You mean these Sterlings:

or this Sterling made one?

Sorry couldn't resist on the last photo.

Both of my semi-auto Sterlings are well built, function well, and are fun to go plink, plink with. The 9mm - the new .22lr!

Ned Christiansen
United States of America

#3 Post by Ned Christiansen » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:55 am

Yep, the top one, and oh how I wanted the bottom one many years ago. As it happens I am about 20' from one at the moment (Costa Mesa though and not mine).

The Sterling I'm fiddling with is in 7.62 Tokarev.

Ned Christiansen
United States of America

#4 Post by Ned Christiansen » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:07 am

So this particular gun is known for not working very well-- mostly due to the fact that the supplied magazines (in the 7.62 version) were STEn mags with the back rib milled out and a plate welded on-- making room for the longer cartridge. My first thought was just rebarrel it to 9mm and use real Sterling mags which are touted as the best SMG mag ever. Well it's true about the magazines, out of five, a few didn't fit without a pound-in, one wouldn't even hold cartridges because someone had previously attempted to hammer it into working condition. I got one working well with a considerable amount of work.

In the end the best solution was a PPSh41 mag which can (barely) be modified to fit into the Sterling's magwell. Being a magazine that was originally made for this caliber, it works well.... and I've seen them for as little as $13. A few more of these and it will be all set.

Not sure how they are in 9mm. Better, I would assume, if used with original Sterling mags which I see are $50-ish.

Sofar we've shot it with PPU and Romanian surplus. The gun is quite reasonably accurate although the ammo seems very inconsistent...... bang- bang- pif-bang- POW-pif-POW-bang.....

cwo4uscgret
United States of America

#5 Post by cwo4uscgret » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:58 pm

The original Sterling magazines are awesome. The springs are on rollers - the last round is as easy to load as the first round. The carbine is heavy enough that the recoil is like shooting a .22 LR; the pistol isn't too far behind in the recoil department. I also have a Suomi M-31 semi-auto, with a 77 round drum magazine its a heavy beast but its fun - almost boring fun - to shoot!

Ned Christiansen
United States of America

#6 Post by Ned Christiansen » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:04 am

I have a PPS-43 mag coming. Looks like easier to modify and it's a two-position feeder which ought to be better but-- the modified PPSh-41 mag has worked without issue.

The Romanian surplus ammo is pretty dirty and seems more corrosive than most corrosive.

Return to “British Empire and Commonwealth”